Running

Options
dfonte
dfonte Posts: 263 Member
I've done a few 5K's, and I would like to do a half marathon. I consider myself someone who likes to be fit and not really a runner. I would probably run more but I honestly get bored. Once I get past a few miles it's not an issue of physical ability, I just get bored. My question to all you runners is how do not get bored when running long distances?

Replies

• natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks on my iphone. Makes a 2+ hour run go quite fast!
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I put my ipad on my treadmill and watch/listen to TV shows and documentaries about obesity. It motivates me.

I believe that if TVs had to be treadmill powered, we would solve America's obesity crisis :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't run super long distances, and I mostly run on a treadmill. Like someone else, I watch shows on my iPad. I've been able to stay caught up with things my husband has no interest in that would otherwise clutter our DVR or get into shows that are older that I didn't watch when they first came out. On the rare occasions I run outside, I use an MP3 loaded with favorite songs. I do like the idea of an audio book for a really long outdoor run, too.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of listening to audio books, too! Getting lost in the story makes me forget that I'm "exercising."
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I've done a few 5K's, and I would like to do a half marathon. I consider myself someone who likes to be fit and not really a runner. I would probably run more but I honestly get bored. Once I get past a few miles it's not an issue of physical ability, I just get bored. My question to all you runners is how do not get bored when running long distances?

Look online for some programs that would get you up to half-marathon. A lot of them include speed and hill work, which definitely varies things up a bit.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i just zone out. no headphones no iphone nothing. it's my brain down time. i also like to run trails and i need to pay attention to the ground so i guess my attention is more on that than on what i'm doing. as for races, the people, the rush, the overall event keeps me well entertained while running.
  • annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Download the app Zombie's Run!
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1. I'm always updating my playlists to keep stuff current so i don't get bored with the music.

2. The one thing that REALLY keeps me motivated is my Garmin Forerunner. It's a wrist GPS that tracks your distance, miles, speed, etc. You can also get one that tracks heart rate. I'm a little obsessive about keeping track of my pace, but it's really cool to as you get better to see how much faster you can go. I ran the fastest 3 miles of my life today (about to do my first half marathon on Sunday), and did a happy dance and showed it off to every body! Tech toys are fun.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Listen to music and change my route at least once a week. If on the treadmill it is time to catch up on all my DVR recordings
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I belong to a running group so all my long runs are with groups of 2-8 people so keep each other company. I also run with music if I run alone. Love it, its my me time.

I ran my first half last sunday with a friend. we chatted for a while then i put my music on. I use nike + app to track my mileage.

The key is to change it up so you dont get bored. Do some intervals/speed/hill work and one long run during the weekend.

Good Luck for your half
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy running, but 10km is about the furthest I run without getting bored. Actually, an hour of doing anything continuous is pretty much my attention span cut-off (I get squirmy in my seat watching movies too).
  • junkie_99
    junkie_99 Posts: 26
    Options
    find a running group. vary your routes. It's amazing the sights you miss when you zip by in a car. I see things when I run that I never knew existed (I've run 3 marathons, 1/2 maraton, 10 miler, 10ks and 5ks)
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your tips.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    My question to all you runners is how do not get bored when running long distances?

Running buddy and music.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Long runs = Sports Talk Radio...for me.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Once I get past a few miles it's not an issue of physical ability, I just get bored. My question to all you runners is how do not get bored when running long distances?

Are you on a treadmill? I would get bored too. Run outside. You'll be entertained for as long as you feel like running.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If it's inside - something I want to watch on TV etc.
    Outside - been running with a club recently.
    Outside on my own (in a race etc) - listen to audiobooks.

Local 10k courtesy of "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress" by Robert A Heinlein :).
    Left one headphone out to have some chance of communication/not getting run over etc.
    60476_10151330923600689_1732377593_n.jpg
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of these as well - audiobooks, podcasts or motivating music, run with others and vary where you're running. I get bored running around the neighborhood (plus it sucks running the same big loop over and over on long runs) so I head to a park or some walking/biking trails.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    OUTSIDE...!!

I never would've started running distances if I was just on a treadmill...there's just something nice about getting fresh air and enjoying the outdoors on a run!

I also like having my GPS app on my phone because I can just explore new paths and trails and see where they take me. I've found a ton of different walking trails that I never even knew existed before I started running!
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I believe that if TVs had to be treadmill powered, we would solve America's obesity crisis :)

I disagree. Look at History. When ever there is something we did not want or like to do we found/designed an easy way around the issue.

Given enough lazy people there will be some machine turning that treadmill for them.

I find that running has to be a Want To not a Have To. There is no way to make it enjoyable if you don't want to do it.