How do you use spinach?

Options
nikki_dw
nikki_dw Posts: 126 Member
I love spinach. I mean, I really love spinach.

And sometimes I buy too much.

I have a bag in my fridge that is threatening to go bad quickly. Condensation has already put it past the point of acceptable salad use, but I hate to waste food. Almost as much as I love spinach.

Any ideas for a good way to use up a lot of spinach when cooking for just yourself? No soups, please. That's how I got rid of a bag of kale last week.

I've got lots of cheese, including feta, ground turkey, chicken, tortilla wraps, quinoa and all kinds of pasta in my fridge among other ingredients.

Replies

• deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    green smoothies! throw it in the freezer and use it a couple handful at a time in that breakfast smoothie.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I just actually made some freezer packs for omelettes and used an entire tub of baby spinach from costco. It yielded about 4 servings of "stuffings" for a later date omelete that is no fuss!

I sauteed a bunch of green onions, mushrooms, diced ham, red peppers and spinach and the spinach REALLY reduces to practically nothing. Anyways I put 1/4 of the mixture in tiny tupperware and moved it to the freezer. When I'm in a pinch I can take one out and crack 2 eggs, instant delicious omelette!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Feed it to the rabbits.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    It's good in smoothies.

Sometimes I like to eat it just raw with a little bit of vinegar on it, or I eat it with cherry tomatoes, like a small salad.

Or I cook it down with some spices that I like, like garlic powder...it's good :)

I have the same problem because I've been having leg cramps lately so I need the potassium so I buy a lot of spinach and end up having a lot left over and a lot of it goes to waste.
  • melly0224
    melly0224 Posts: 15
    Options
    Ok I have a great smoothie recipe for anyone to try if they like spinach. I came up with it the other night.

2 cups baby spinach
    4 oz any flavor greek yogurt
    1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 banana

It's filling and perfect after a workout!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    sautee it. I put a huge amount of spinach into my wok, with a tiny little dab of butter in the bottom. I put it on medium heat and just keep stirring it around to wilt it down. Then I add sliced mushrooms, and drizzle it with Newman's Own sesame ginger salad dressing, or Yoshida's teriyaki, or soy sauce, or crushed red peppers and parmesan. Season it any way you like.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I love spinach too!!! Had it in my salad for lunch today actually.

I like to cook it with my dinner... saute it in the pan with some olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic... get it to sizzle a bit and pour in a bit of white wine and cook until tender. A lot of spinach cooks down to very little that way. If I am cooking something like chicken in the pan, I will basically do the same thing but remove the cooked chicken, then throw in the spinach and deglaze the pan with some white wine... makes a great sauce!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i give the can a hard squeeze and it shoots out into the air, and when it comes down, i inhale it through my corncob pipe.
  • fungaaron9880
    Options
    Anytime i have spinich that is semi wilting I go ahead and make a Spinich Pesto. A lil olive oil, a bit of parm, some garlic, S+P. Great for a Chicken Marinade, or a Pasta Sauce
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I toss a bunch in the blender with egg and make either scrambled eggs (GREEN EGGS AND HAM! - my daughter is 3) or pretty green fritatas.

Wilted and sauteed with onion then mixed with cheese, it's a FABU stuffing for baked chicken.

SPINACH DIP. I think I'm going to make a spinach dip when I get home. I'm now having a craving. NOM.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Straight from the can warmed up with my own added bacon chunks.:bigsmile:
    5252562_460s_v1-9b850.jpg
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, sauteeing is great, especially with some garlic. I either eat it as is, or use it in a quiche or frittata. With some of the other ingredients you mentioned, it would be tasty!!
  • filthyfit12
    Options
    Green smoothies for sure!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I often stick it between my teeth to give people something to talk about, or obsess over whether they should say something or not.

I also use it in smoothies (if it's getting bad and you have more than you need for one, throw it in the freezer now, you'll be able to use it for a while yet that way), in scrambled eggs, and in lasagna.

Oh! And I love to shred it up and eat it in cottage cheese, sometimes with a smidge of nutmeg.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    i give the can a hard squeeze and it shoots out into the air, and when it comes down, i inhale it through my corncob pipe.

LOL - Great Stuff!
  • sfilly
    sfilly Posts: 3
    Options
    Omlettes or with fried in a pan with some tomato and fried eggs

Chilli

Smoothies

On sandwiches

In pasta sauce
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    green smoothies!!
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Cook down like others have said with garlic, salt and pepper and then stir a little low fat soft cheese its healthy creamed spinach and tastes great.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I love spinach too!
    I put it in salad with a meat and other veggies, sometimes mixed with spring greens or romain
    I put it in with some eggs and either pepper, onion, tomato or a mix of the mentioned ingredients
    Sometimes I will use them in a wrap with the egg or some sort of meat
    I throw it in with anything and everything!
    I LOVE ME SOME SPINACH!!!
    *lol*