How do you use spinach?

Options

Replies

• mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Breakfast. Spinach with eggs is great and a healthy way to start your day.

Saute some diced onions (Bermuda works great), bell pepper (whatever color you have), and fresh mushrooms sliced thin if you have them, with PAM or in a non-stick pan. After they soften a bit add a cup or so of chopped fresh spinach. Add some salt and some pepper and wilt the spinach a bit. Then stir in 2 eggs and you have a large tasty and nutritious 2 egg omelet that looks like 3-4 eggs worth. I also add a diced up slice or two of Swiss cheese to it sometimes. The vitamin C in the pepper helps release the iron in the spinach. It's a great way for me to get some veggies and protein with not too many calories in early in the day and it holds me right through to lunch.

...and if my wife is around or can smell it cooking, I have to do a double batch because she'll definitely also want some.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I love spinach. One thing I do pretty regularly is to tear it up and wilt it in a frying pan with a touch of coconut oil. Then spread it out and pour egg whites in. Cook like an omelet and fill with whatever you want (I usually do cottage cheese or avocado and cheddar).
  • LittleDaisyWaisy
    Options
    Hi,

Here is a few ideas I can give...

If you have lentils then a spinach and lentil curry

Chicken and spinach wrap

Cheese and spinach tart

Poached egg, spinach and holandaise muffin

Spinach and mushroom omelette

I like spinach also and all above are yum lol
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I just actually made some freezer packs for omelettes and used an entire tub of baby spinach from costco. It yielded about 4 servings of "stuffings" for a later date omelete that is no fuss!

I sauteed a bunch of green onions, mushrooms, diced ham, red peppers and spinach and the spinach REALLY reduces to practically nothing. Anyways I put 1/4 of the mixture in tiny tupperware and moved it to the freezer. When I'm in a pinch I can take one out and crack 2 eggs, instant delicious omelette!
    I love this idea! Thanks!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    You could make a ground turkey lasagne with spinach or add it to your eggs with some feta cheese-nummers!!
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    eat it in a salad or wilt it under your main course at dinner :smile: I often buy frozen spinach to eat hot obviously, it's delish :smile:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Saute with olive oil and garlic. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil and garlic in a large pan, add a ton of spinach (it cooks way down), cover with lid, stir after 90 seconds, cover and heat another 90 seconds, done. Cook it just until it's wilted which is usually 3 minutes total.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I take baby spinach saute it with a little olive oil garlic and chili flakes. So good. The other way I like is to take spinach that was frozen thawed and drained well mix with eggs, ricotta cheese, a little Romano cheese, a dab of nutmeg and bake it
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Feta and spinach stuffed pork chops! amaaaazing. Just slice a pocket in one and wilt the spinach in a pan a mix in some feta so it gets melty then shove it the pork and bake!
  • ambrosiah
    ambrosiah Posts: 20
    Options
    I made a spinach, mushroom and cheese frittata this week! Super easy and very yummy!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I always throw mine in the freezer when it gets wilted, and then use it in pasta sauce or mixed in with other steamed veggies, etc. I do not like to waste food but I too always seem to buy too much spinach for some reason!!
  • lizzydear
    Options
    Sauteed spinach with garlic. Spinch in stir fry. I make spinach dip with lots of spinach, some water chestnuts (or celery) and just enough yogurt to hold it together and whatever spices strike my fancy (I'm partial to curry powder or chipoltle'and cumin--make a great lunch with some raw veggies or pita.
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Spinach and Tomato Chicken

10 ounce bag of baby spinach
    3 Tb chicken broth
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    salt and pepper
    garlic powder
    onion powder
    italian seasoning
    1 large tomato, cut into large chunks
    5 green onions, chopped
    1/3 C fresh parmesan cheese, grated (I used at least ¾ cup – try even more)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place the spinach in the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass baking pan. Drizzle over the chicken broth and sprinkle the top with salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken over the spinach and season very well with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and italian seasoning. Add the tomato and green onion then sprinkle on the parmesan cheese over the whole dish.
    2. Take a piece of foil and loosely tent it over the top of the pan. Do not seal the edges of the foil to the pan. Bake for 15 minutes, remove the foil and continue to bake for another 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately, drizzling the pan juices over the top of each serving.
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I really love Spinach too. It seems the quickest way to use up a bag of spinach is to sautee it. I love it sauteed with salt and pepper and a little sprinkle of parmesan cheese. I did this the other morning for breakfast and also added two poached eggs on top......that
    was even better. Don't let the yellow get hard and the run of the yellow egg over the sauteed spinach is soooo yum. To me anyway :)
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I like to put some in my spaghetti sauce. or in a risotto. also good with baked chiken (no skin)
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Omelettes or cooked with garlic.
  • taelardinois
    taelardinois Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Frittata
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Bump because I always buy a bag for my salads and have too much leftover! Great yummy ideas!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I love spinach too!!! Had it in my salad for lunch today actually.

I like to cook it with my dinner... saute it in the pan with some olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic... get it to sizzle a bit and pour in a bit of white wine and cook until tender. A lot of spinach cooks down to very little that way. If I am cooking something like chicken in the pan, I will basically do the same thing but remove the cooked chicken, then throw in the spinach and deglaze the pan with some white wine... makes a great sauce!

this sounds good !
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    saute with garlic and onions
    add to flat bread pizza
    put some in a wrap