Locked Topic...

Options
I posted my positive experience with a certain diet my doctor had me on and was closely supervising. MFP just locked the topic. I have to say that not being able to share my positive experiences on this site, is offensive. I have used MFP now for years. I was put on a diet by my doctor (that worked!) and I wanted to share. But because it does not adhere to MFP's way of loosing weight, it was blocked within a few minutes.

While I support MFP and its wonderful weight loss tool, I do not believe it is right to not allow me to share my positive results using something other than MFP.

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen with HCG users, they always end up peddling it to others. So I am always leary.

There are TONS of healthy ways to lose weight and that seems to be more important for this website.
  • chandlera07
    chandlera07 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen with HCG users, they always end up peddling it to others. So I am always leary.

What is it that you mean 'peddling it to others'.... I am not sure what is meant by that? And basically the ones that are skeptical are the ones that have not done it. Those who have seem to love it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    They gave you the reason, see below. Doesn't matter if a "doctor" recommended it, it's not healthy and no one should be doing it. This is probably going to get locked too so you might as well take your righteous indignation somewhere else.

Dear Posters,

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that our users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by our site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor. We are currently reviewing the medical literature on the HCG/500 calorie diet and reserve the right to moderate against discussions of this diet at any time in the future.

Thank you all for your concern. We're definitely looking closely at this issue.

Regards,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! However, I believe the HCG diet you referenced earlier is considered controversial and does recommend a very low calorie diet. Promoting such a weight loss program is clearly against MFP rules. I'm sure you would be welcome to post your weight loss success and before/after photos and stats on the Success Stories message board as long as it isn't seen as a promotion of a risky or controversial weight loss method. :smile:

Per MFP user guidelines:

"3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal."
  • chandlera07
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! However, I believe the HCG diet you referenced earlier is considered controversial and does recommend a very low calorie diet. Promoting such a weight loss program is clearly against MFP rules. I'm sure you would be welcome to post your weight loss success and before/after photos and stats on the Success Stories message board as long as it isn't seen as a promotion of a risky or controversial weight loss method. :smile:

I think this is where my concern is. I do not find it to be risky if you are smart about it... Any diet you do is risky unless you are smart about it.

And I didn't reference any diet in the original message of this post. Someone else did in a reply.
  • chandlera07
    Options
    They gave you the reason, see below. Doesn't matter if a "doctor" recommended it, it's not healthy and no one should be doing it. This is probably going to get locked too so you might as well take your righteous indignation somewhere else.

Righteous Indignation? Really? If you do not have encouraging words for people, you should not be posting. We all are here with the same goals. It is people like you that should be blocked. And yes he was a "doctor" and a very good one at that.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Your original locked topic titled "MFP Forbidden Topic" was a very detailed post about your success with the HCG diet. I do applaud your success, but the rules are clearly stated on MFP, and I believe the interpretation of these rules is up to the moderators.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Just because YOU went to a doctor for your starvation diet doesn't mean everyone will.

We're not here for the same goals, some people want to be healthier, some want an eating disorder - those are not the same....
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Your original locked topic titled "MFP Forbidden Topic" was a very detailed post about your success with the HCG diet. I do applaud your success, but the rules are clearly stated on MFP, and I believe the interpretation of these rules is up to the moderators.

Was that really the title?

So, OP knowingly posted against the rules and only got the thread locked?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Well, considering the FDA has stated that hCG is not approved for weight loss, and the people selling it OTC are selling it illegaly, I'd be very cautious of starting that kind of diet. If you are under full doctor supervision, both at the start and during the transition back to normal eating habits, then if your doctor put you on that diet, that's between you and him/her. But it doesn't look like a diet you want to just start on your own. That may be why it was locked; this isn't a safe diet for anyone to just try.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    good lord people are pretty vicious on this site lol.

Congrats on your loss - just because it doesn't line up with the way I lose my weight doesn't mean its terrible. I am not a fan of the HCG diet for a plethora of reasons, but to the OP I am happy for you and happy that you did it supervised under medical care.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Well, considering the FDA has stated that hCG is not approved for weight loss, and the people selling it OTC are selling it illegaly, I'd be very cautious of starting that kind of diet. If you are under full doctor supervision, both at the start and during the transition back to normal eating habits, then if your doctor put you on that diet, that's between you and him/her. But it doesn't look like a diet you want to just start on your own. That may be why it was locked; this isn't a safe diet for anyone to just try.

BINGO!!!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

because something is not FDA approved does not mean that it is illegal to sell OTC
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

What is it that you mean 'peddling it to others'.... I am not sure what is meant by that? And basically the ones that are skeptical are the ones that have not done it. Those who have seem to love it.

My wife got talked into it by the ladies in the neighborhood. Of course she lost weight eating so little. And gained it back just like everyone else who did it too. She is now just eating helathy, exercising, and doing what she should have done instead of a fad.

There is no miracle pill or shot.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Just a note on that - not all OTC hCG is illegal stuff. Most of it is simply not hCG. The stuff at GNC and Walmart is not actual hCG which is why the can sell it.

(That's a lot of acronyms)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

because something is not FDA approved does not mean that it is illegal to sell OTC

The FDA has specifically called it fraudulent, and made it illegal.

I saw one the other day labelled "does not contain hormones," so I am not sure it is actually being sold OTC. Just some Holy Water to go with your very low calorie diet.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm

Granted, it's a year old, but I haven't found an update to that on the FDA website.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I posted my positive experience with a certain diet my doctor had me on and was closely supervising. MFP just locked the topic. I have to say that not being able to share my positive experiences on this site, is offensive. I have used MFP now for years. I was put on a diet by my doctor (that worked!) and I wanted to share. But because it does not adhere to MFP's way of loosing weight, it was blocked within a few minutes.

While I support MFP and its wonderful weight loss tool, I do not believe it is right to not allow me to share my positive results using something other than MFP.

First off congrats on the weight loss it has to feel good. The HCG diet does not have the backing of enough science to make it an advisable course of action for the general public. Albert T. W. Simeons' results could not be reproduced by other researchers of his time which in the world of hard line academic science is bad. Other scientists have to be able to reproduce your results or you have to be able to explain why they didn't. It is a slow process I know.
    One day things may be different but for now I think MFP made the right call.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was on HCG spent alot of money for little success. If you are looking for support Yahoo groups has several groups with people on HCG. you cant change the rules so stop trying.
This discussion has been closed.