High BF% Women.... & Men

Polling the rest of the high BF% women out there..... And the high BF% men can respond too - if you want.

- Are you following TDEE - 20? TDEE - 30%?
- Are you eating below BMR? Yes, yes... I know the MFP forum rants that eating below BMR isn't safe... It's supposedly safer for those with higher BF% and a lot to lose than for those that don't. I'm not advocating it or bashing it. I'm just polling the audience, so to speak.
- Or are you eating at some arbitrary number that MFP provided? Or some other number?

Just curious what the majority are doing.

If you used to be high BF% but aren't anymore, feel free to share your insight too.

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I'd consider myself high @ 36%

I'm eating at TDEE < 20% but I've only just started this week at that level. I also only just got a scale that measures BF, sooooo, yeah. :ohwell:
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    I'm definitely going to be following this.....whatever I'm doing right now isn't working, so looking for some success stories!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    My body fat was 56% when I started. Jealous?

I have mine set to a pound and a half a week, which is pretty close to my TDEE - 30%.

It is not below my BMR. No thanks.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,988 Member
    Last time I had BF% measured it was 47%, way high. That was done at work. I am currently following a constant carb diet that my dietician recommended but have not been doing it very long. It works out to about 1400-1500 calories per day. Be well.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    TDEE - 20% works best for me.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    :)
  • Uhhhlexxxis
    Uhhhlexxxis Posts: 39 Member
    I'm still tinkering, but I decided to set my calories to lose 1.5lb/week, and work out 30 mins a day everyday, and I'm just trying to not eat back my exercise calories. So far I haven't been hungry enough to eat them back...but I'm not about to starve myself if I'm hungry and haven't made the deficit I want...
    I'll let you know how it goes a few weeks from now lol.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    I'm about 30% and.... just to see how many people freak the F out... I'm eating about 900 calories a day. :D

ETA: eating THAT low without having some sort of professional control is a horrible idea. You also get very hangry all the time.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    I'm about 30% and.... just to see how many people freak the F out... I'm eating about 900 calories a day. :D

I won''t freak out. You're not destroying MY body so it's cool.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    According to the scales, I'm about 38.6% (although I don't believe them). I eat at around TDEE-20% (just over 1900 calories per day) and I'm losing at 1-1.5lb a week.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I was at 33%. Did the Couch to 5k program and am down 1.06% in four and a half weeks. I eat according to my macros and eat back exercise calories also, I added another 100 calories so that I wasn't hungry all the time - that decision was supported by a hydrostatic measurement I did. I have MFP set to lose .5 pounds a week but have been losing a lot more than that.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    I'm around 33%, 185lb and 5'4"

I'm doing the fat2fit radio method where I'm eating at maintenence for my goal weight - which is around 1750 calories at the moment because I selected sedentary but I think I probably should have picked lightly active so I might change it.
    Either way, it's still above my BMR.
  • Pinkkfrost
    Pinkkfrost Posts: 29 Member
    ETA: eating THAT low without having some sort of professional control is a horrible idea. You also get very hangry all the time.

Is hangry when youre so hungry that youre violently angry at all those around you? Because that happens to me and my kid a lot.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Polling the rest of the high BF% women out there..... And the high BF% men can respond too - if you want.

- Are you following TDEE - 20? TDEE - 30%?
    - Are you eating below BMR? Yes, yes... I know the MFP forum rants that eating below BMR isn't safe... It's supposedly safer for those with higher BF% and a lot to lose than for those that don't. I'm not advocating it or bashing it. I'm just polling the audience, so to speak.
    - Or are you eating at some arbitrary number that MFP provided? Or some other number?

Just curious what the majority are doing.

If you used to be high BF% but aren't anymore, feel free to share your insight too.

I'm forty-something%. I don't eat below my BMR anymore, except for occasional days when it's unavoidable. I started out lower, but wasn't seeing anywhere near the progress I should've. Since upping my calories, I've made much steadier progress, and I don't find it difficult to stick with anymore. I do eat approximately TDEE-20%, with my macros at 25/30/45 (carb/protein/fat).

ETA: My progress thus far is 28 pounds gone forever. :wink:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I'm 40ish%, and I'm at TDEE-25% right now. I was previously at TDEE-30%, but I've dropped weight since then. I actually use Heybale's spreadsheet because I'm too lazy to figure it all out on my own. It limits you at your BMR (when I was eating TDEE-30% it had me at BMR), so I don't eat below mine.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • Josh_H
    Josh_H Posts: 1,151
    I was prob 25% or higher when I started.. got down to high12 low 13% right now I am around 16 to 17%... but I will drop back down this summer.. :)
  • I worked mine out to be 45%-ish. which horrified me!
    I worked out my BMR to be 1900-ish and i follow what MFP says and am currently eating about 1600 cals, well most days i go under and eat on average 1400, im not hungry and im eating really well. however at the moment im not really exercising, i do long 13hr shifts at work on my feet (nurse) but no formal excercise.
    I am consistantly loosing, when kick up the exercise when my life calms down a tad i will try and work out my TDEE etc, it just seems like SO MUCH FOOD!

however. im new to this nutrition lark, so not gospel at all!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    around 36% right now, haven't checked lately. Started that in place of a road map thing last week (search in place of a road map in the forum search) and I feel a lot better and have been losing pretty consistently these last two weeks.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    One year and 3 months ago, I was 37.9% bodyfat. Now I am 16.4%.

I ate about 2000+ cals a day to lose all my weight. I didn't specifically use the TDEE calculation...I just used common sense. I worked out hard, and I knew I needed to fuel my body properly in order to lose fat and maintain muscle. :)
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    My body fat was 56% when I started. Jealous?

I have mine set to a pound and a half a week, which is pretty close to my TDEE - 30%.

It is not below my BMR. No thanks.

We are totally BF% TWINSIES!!!

Mine is around 45% at this point. I eat at somewhere between TDEE - 20% or 30%. Currently, I'm tinkering with the numbers a bit. I never ever eat below my BMR. I train way too hard to mess around with that.