How skinny is too skinny?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I think your body will tell you. I originally had a goal of 105 (I'm 5'2" as well) but found it was impossible to get below 108 without starving myself. Plus it's pretty bad when you go shopping and can't find clothes that are small enough! These days I hover around 110 and that seems like a good place for me.
  • Innerbeauty31
    Innerbeauty31 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Weird thing - BMI doesn't take into account for our different body types.

For example - My sister and I are about the same height. Our builds are WAY different though.

She wears a size 8 jeans at 105lbs.
    I wear a size 8 jeans at 140lbs.

My BMI suggests I should weigh around 110-115lbs. For me - that'd be a size ZERO!

And trust me - I would never wanna be a size ZERO!

So get down to a certain weight, and then work on your body fat index... put on muscle! :) You'll be good.
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    not sure!~ skinny hasn't been a part of me since i was in my early twenties! i'm hoping to get there though. i am never ever giving up on my weight loss!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I am 5-0.. I could never be that light though because I have 105 pounds of LBM...

You could have your body fat tested and base your goal off of that. But we probably have different goals, skinny is not my goal, strong is.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Like everything else, the actual number can be subjective. My BMI weight should be 130-135 for my height/age, however, the last time I was at 130 I did not look healthy, and I didn't feel healthy either (I have a large frame, "manly" sized bones, ugh). Right now my Goal is 160-165, but I know as I get closer I may need to readjust my thoughts. Like a couple of other people I have talked with, I am using dress size as my goal (I have that pretty coctail dress already and that is when I will stop (maybe)).

Hope this helps. Good luck :smooched:
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Go by body fat percentage and how you actually look. Body weight in and of itself is not what you should be targeting as a goal.

^This! BMI is a poor gauge for an individual. It's only a height to weight ratio.