Kiss Pork chops good bye?

Options
13»

Replies

• bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yah pork chops are not very high calories not much more then chicken

I sprinkle mine with lawrys seasoning salt put in aluminum foil and bake at 450 for about 25 minutes and they come out yummy

Hubby prefers pepper and garlic and lemon on his cooked same way
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I get boneless pork chops because they're easier to deal with.

Aside from that, I have a recipe you can try. Marinate the chops in Guinness and molasses for several hours, then grill them. SO GOOD. We grill all year round - it's a great way to cook meatstuff. If you don't want to grill, you can broil or pan-sear instead.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Bake, broil or cook them on the grill. Love the Shake and bake too!!!
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It may be the size of the pork chop. Frying it will always increase the calorie content.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that is an accurate entry. I just went to the USDA site did a 6oz pork chop, breaded, and fried with fat eaten and I get 391 calories.

I would double check that entry.

http://reedir.arsnet.usda.gov/codesearchwebapp/(xrkczqujch0vkgyf4i2ohw55)/measures.aspx?id=22101310

Here's the link it may or may not work.
  • mittens6395
    Options
    I broil or bake pork chops. Sometimes I put a low sodium/low sugar marinade on them. It keeps the calories much lower. Here is a low fat eggplant bake link. http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/vegetablesandvegetarian/r/eggplantbake.htm

I love eggplant and will also cook it like stuffed bell peppers with extra lean ground turkey.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I made these really yummy bone in pork loin pork chops. Dredged them in flour and cayenne pepper and seasoned with a bunch of spices and fried them up with some oil and topped them off with fresh thyme and oregano. They were oh, so good. My side dish was eggplant parm (baked, not fried). So my husband and I are sitting down for our meals and pull up MFP to log in our food when WHAM(!) we see that each chop is close to 600 calories each! Not to mention the eggplant parm (which I expected). SO, kiss pork chops good bye or hope that some one out there has a good recipe that won't break the calorie bank?

That is highly unlikely unless you drenched them in oil. Pork chops are one of the lowest cal meats out there!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the flour and frying is probably what did you in. Pork chops themselves, are not a bad meat source.

Yep.
  • pinkcloudrising
    Options
    You can still have pork chops as you prepared them. The 600 calories at a meal isn't as bad as you are making it out to be. If you are eating 600 calories per meal and having 3 meals per day that is 1800 calories. Depending on what your weight loss / maintenance goal(s) are you can still have the chops are you prepare them. If you want to have the pork chops without the high calories then do as others suggest and season and bake them, season and fry them, don't deep fry them--use less oil.

Another suggestion is to be mindful of the side dish you have with your fried pork chop. You might try a cup of some vegetable or a couple of cups of salad, being mindful of the amount of dressing you put on. This will all allow you to keep the pork chops in your meal plan.

I am finding that there is no need to restrict or cut out any food, something I did for years and never lost and kept any significant weight. What is working for me is to set a daily caloric amount that is reasonable for my current height and weight and my goals for weight loss. It is working. I was able to get into a jacket last night that I bought 3 years ago. Not only was I able to put it on, it almost closes in the front. Do you know how momentous that is to me? It is akin to there being an end of world hunger or peace in the middle east. Yeah, it is all that.
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There are many different listings on the database for pork from 130 calories for 4 oz. to 236 calories. I know it depends upon the cut and amount of fat - but these are basically the same. Plus, a center cut boneless pork loin roast (from the package at my grocery) is 170 for 4 oz. The SAME cut in a chop is 130 calories. What is a person to believe?

Costco - Pork Chops, 4 oz 236
    Costco - Pork, Fresh, Loin, Top Loin (Chops), Boneless, Raw, 4 oz. 172
    Generic - Pork Chop, Boneless, Lean, 1" Thick, 4 oz. 130
    Food Lion - Boneless Loin Pork Chop, 4 oz 220
    Generic - Boneless Center Cut Thin Pork Chops 1 Chop About 114g, 1 chop 114g 130
    Generic - Pork, Fresh, Loin, Sirloin (Chops), Boneless, 4 oz 132
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    There are many different listings on the database for pork from 130 calories for 4 oz. to 236 calories. I know it depends upon the cut and amount of fat - but these are basically the same. Plus, a center cut boneless pork loin roast (from the package at my grocery) is 170 for 4 oz. The SAME cut in a chop is 130 calories. What is a person to believe?

Costco - Pork Chops, 4 oz 236
    Costco - Pork, Fresh, Loin, Top Loin (Chops), Boneless, Raw, 4 oz. 172
    Food Lion - Boneless Loin Pork Chop, 4 oz 220
    Generic - Boneless Center Cut Thin Pork Chops 1 Chop About 114g, 1 chop 114g 130
    Generic - Pork, Fresh, Loin, Sirloin (Chops), Boneless, 4 oz 132

The food database is an absolute mess on this site.
    Just us the USDA values and be as accurate as possible in your search.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list