deficit every day and no weight loss :(

Options

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary. Protein is spot on, but i'd say you need more fat, less carbs. Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do.

Try...

35% carbs
    35% fat
    30% protein

Works for me. I also zig zag my carbs and calories. Try not to go over 35% carbs, but throw in a low day here and there.

Home, goals, change goals, manual...

I think that would resolve your problem.

Zara x
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit causes your body to go into starvation mode. The body becomes very efficient and burns less calories to make up the difference you are not eating. It is better to supply the body with a vast amount of food and balanced with calorie burn from your workout. Heed the warnings at the end of the day when you close out your food diary.

This is true, just not in the sense that she meant. Her net caloric intake is a deficit rather than gross, so she's getting enough calories for what her body requires for day-to-day function.

Eating at a deficit is the only way you will ever lose weight, these folks are incorrect. You have to burn more than you eat. Period. But it also matters HOW you are burning. Are you weight training or just cardio? What kind of cardio?
  • fitnessmare
    fitnessmare Posts: 117
    Options
    I believe so!

My BMR is 1429 without moving and my doctor even said with how my cardiovascular system is it would probably be 1500 sedentary. With that said TDEE is 1708 at my desk job and I eat up to 1700 on work out days when my TDEE would be 2206....i just don't know!! I think changing up my eating (I tend to get into habits) and interval training will jump start something - only time will tell!

Time will tell... exactly! That is important to remember. It's so hard to be patient but it will pay off.

I've also feel that changing up a workout routine is important. I think our bodies get used to something and they are so good at what they do that they find something that used to be hard is now fairly easy.

P.s. Fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs do not make you fat either.... Excess calories are the only thing that makes you fat. Our bodies also are so good at what they do as far as how they burn fat and calories... There is no such thing as 'spot reducing' because our bodies are so efficient at using from various parts as it sees fit. This can make it frustrating too. Our bodies are really quite remarkable.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit causes your body to go into starvation mode. The body becomes very efficient and burns less calories to make up the difference you are not eating. It is better to supply the body with a vast amount of food and balanced with calorie burn from your workout. Heed the warnings at the end of the day when you close out your food diary.

no no no no no ..this is just wrong...

you would have to eat nothing for 72 hours for your body to go into true "starvation mode"

Eating in a 500 calorie deficit will not put you in starvation mode. If that was the case then everyone on MFP would be in Starvation mode....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Looked at your diary. Protein is spot on, but i'd say you need more fat, less carbs. Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do.

Try...

35% carbs
    35% fat
    30% protein

Works for me. I also zig zag my carbs and calories. Try not to go over 35% carbs, but throw in a low day here and there.

Zara x

Ummm no, over eating makes you fat....
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yes it's frustrating for sure.... :( I went about 7 weeks of up and down, measurements staying the same, BF % not changing etc., before I finally started to consistently lose the weight and inches.

On advice from a friend I started watching different nutrients and was able to pinpoint the culprit (in my case was sodium) on those days I would gain. Didn't take rocket science to figure it out.

Since I'm operating on no food is off limits I adjust portions accordingly, etc. and control calories that way. Yea instead of the whole bag of chips or can of Pringles and one time it's now counting or weighing out a serving....

Keep at it...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP what is your current work out regimen?
  • fitbum19
    Options

Try...

35% carbs
    35% fat
    30% protein

Zara x

^^ yep. overeating.....not necessarily carbs, makes you fat. every one needs carbs
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For the last few pounds when you have a small deficit you need to really make sure you're logging accurately. Most things in your diary are logged by volume, not by weight. If you have anything other than a free-pouring liquid you want to go by weight. All I did for my last few pounds was to tighten up my logging, set MFP to lose .5 lbs/week and eat back half of my exercise calories.

If you've been at a deficit for a long time a diet break can help. I have done them a couple of times and they do really seem to help. Was there a point where you were losing weight or have you been maintaining the whole time you've been here?
  • jeda1231
    jeda1231 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am training for a half marathon so I definitely think taking a week off of working out would help - I don't have the ability to do that while staying on schedule HOWEVER I do think interval training would help switch up my routine

Currently I run three to four times a week - 3 to 5 miles each time at around a 9min mile pace and I'm working in one longer run a week adhering to my training program. I kickbox twice a week for an hour and practice yoga once every week or two.

Any suggestions for fast and efficent strength training programs??
  • jeda1231
    jeda1231 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    thanks for the training tip - i definitely plan on slowing down and really enjoying the rest days rather than being anxious about not working out - i'm my own biggest critic so I'm trying to figure out how to measure body fat over weight - it was 27% the last time I was at the doctors and I would love to get it down to 22 or 23
  • Heather4nne
    Heather4nne Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    ndj1979: You don't have to fast completely to go into starvation mode. If you're at a serious defecit, i.e. your gross intake is significantly lower than your body requires for everyday activities and processes, you risk going into starvation mode after about 24 hours (at which point your body has depleted carbohydrate reserves). After that, the body breaks down proteins from muscle and fatty acids from adipose to provide sugar precursors for the brain and to maintain blood glucose levels. Yes, you will lose weight, but it's not a sustainable way to go.
  • fitnessmare
    fitnessmare Posts: 117
    Options
    ndj1979: You don't have to fast completely to go into starvation mode. If you're at a serious defecit, i.e. your gross intake is significantly lower than your body requires for everyday activities and processes, you risk going into starvation mode after about 24 hours (at which point your body has depleted carbohydrate reserves). After that, the body breaks down proteins from muscle and fatty acids from adipose to provide sugar precursors for the brain and to maintain blood glucose levels. Yes, you will lose weight, but it's not a sustainable way to go.

Lol. Here we go. ... <gets popcorn and watches>

:laugh:
  • fitbum19
    Options

Try...

35% carbs
    35% fat
    30% protein

Zara x

^^ yep. overeating.....not necessarily carbs, makes you fat. every one needs carbs

This is wrong. So, I'm just throwing that in there. Everyone doesn't need as much carbs as everyone thinks. You can drastically reduce them and feel better than you ever have in your life. I know. Nothing you can say can prove my wrong. My results speak for themselves. If you feel otherwise, that's your opinion, this one is mine. There's is lots of research on the effect of carbs on weight loss. If carbs don't impact you, that's great. But don't generalize your situation to everyone on the planet.

no one was generalizing...not like you made it seem. every one does need carbs....its AMOUNT of carbs that will vary per person. You have to figure out what works for YOU. NO one here can tell you what will work for you. We all all here to offer suggestions based on our experiences, that's all. No one here needs to get defensive about opinions. We should all be more mature that that.
  • IamMeMa5
    IamMeMa5 Posts: 12
    Options
    Jeda, I am definately not the expert and I feel your pain. I do believe you have all the tools you need at your disposal on Myfitnesspal to get that weight off. My concern is you say you are not loosing inches. If you are kick boxes twice a week, you should at least be toning and dropping some inches but I am sure you know muscle weighs more than fat and so the trade off can be deceptive on the scales. However, my advise is watch the fat and sugar, along with the calories. Those are your enemies even with the added activity, keep the fat and sugar down and replace with low calorie proteins. Don't starve your body of the nutrients it needs. Stay decisive, don't give in. You will see the weight come off.

Feel free to friend me and I will continue to encourage you.
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The best advice I ever got was to "fool my bod." In other words, change up your exercise routine and do something different. If you run on the treadmill, do intervals...run fast for a couple of minutes, slow down for a minute, and then repeat. Increase your weights, not by much, if you lift, and work different muscle groups. Replace something in your diet with something equally fabulous. In short, make some changes to your routine. A body gets used to the same old thing, day after day, so throw it a curve ball every now and then.