deficit every day and no weight loss :(

Options

Replies

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Is weight the be-all and end-all? Why did you abandon resistance/weight training last summer?

The only other thing I might suggest would be to research (credible sources) high intensity interval training.

I wondered the same. I like HIIT.

I threw myself back into weight training after a hiatus. Watching my macros. Doing some cardio here and there... that has resulted in faster weight loss for me. I wasn't even interested in weightloss! It's just happening. So maybe picking up the weights again isn't a bad idea. Go heavier. I can't tell you how to eat except eat for what you do.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary. Protein is spot on, but i'd say you need more fat, less carbs. Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do.

Try...

35% carbs
    35% fat
    30% protein

Works for me. I also zig zag my carbs and calories. Try not to go over 35% carbs, but throw in a low day here and there.

Home, goals, change goals, manual...

I think that would resolve your problem.

Zara x

Ummm no, over eating makes you fat....

^^ yep. overeating.....not necessarily carbs, makes you fat. every one needs carbs

This is wrong. So, I'm just throwing that in there. Everyone doesn't need as much carbs as everyone thinks. You can drastically reduce them and feel better than you ever have in your life. I know. Nothing you can say can prove my wrong. My results speak for themselves. If you feel otherwise, that's your opinion, this one is mine. There's is lots of research on the effect of carbs on weight loss. If carbs don't impact you, that's great. But don't generalize your situation to everyone on the planet.

right but if you eat 40% carbs and are in a deficit you will still lose weight..or at least that is my understanding..unless something has changed?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979: You don't have to fast completely to go into starvation mode. If you're at a serious defecit, i.e. your gross intake is significantly lower than your body requires for everyday activities and processes, you risk going into starvation mode after about 24 hours (at which point your body has depleted carbohydrate reserves). After that, the body breaks down proteins from muscle and fatty acids from adipose to provide sugar precursors for the brain and to maintain blood glucose levels. Yes, you will lose weight, but it's not a sustainable way to go.

ummm no...you have to not eat anything for 72 hours for your body to start turning to muscle for energy...the studies are all posted at leangains.com

and I believe the original person said that eating in a 500 calorie deficit will cause starvation mode, which is dead wrong becuase if that were the case 100% of the people on MFP would be in starvation mode...
  • Heather4nne
    Heather4nne Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I can respect your views here, but from a purely scientific standpoint, what I said is exactly the case. If I have the lecture notes still on my computer from intro biochem, I could send them to you.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    In order to break a plateau, my advice is to eat at maintenance for 2 weeks, take a week off of working out.

But, you have so much conflicting information here, I doubt you'll do this. But, a plateau is just your body getting used to the routine and not letting go. Change. Do something different. For me, eating at maintenance and breaking from exercise helps gets things moving. Also, lower my carbs drastically helped a lot. I don't care what anyone says. My BF dropped like a rock when I dropped carbs.

This is the best advice so far. I mean the idea of doing something different. It may seem counterintuitive but it works. Yes you can cut enough calories by consumption or burn to bust through this but it would take almost superhuman effort and one that would be very difficult to sustain. Our bodies are brilliant at becoming efficient fat retainers. Calling this 'starvation mode' completely misportrays what is actually happening and does any reader a disservice. The advice that usuall follows is "eat more". True 'starvation mode' enters a realm where one would need medical attention and counseling because they have probably developed an eating dissorder. This is not you obviously. What worked so radically well when we began a program of calorie reduction and exercise actually becomes much less efficient the fitter we become and we usually call it the last 10 stubborn pounds or something like that. But we CAN outsmart our own bodies. The fact that our body can increase its efficiency and hang on to the weight despite our good work indicates that we can use that reaction to our advantage as I would humbly suggest you consider below:

Another option (because there are probably many good ways to bust the plateau) is this: I would almost bet that you are eating 5-6 little meals a day spread out over all your waking hours. You are probably getting good amounts of protein and avoiding excess and empty carbs. There's nothing inherently wrong with that and it is the most popular practice these days. Cal in vs cal out is true but what you eat and don't eat effects little things like; how you feel, how much energy you have and if your arteries are clogging up or not. But another way to tweek things is not just WHAT you eat but WHEN. You might want to try tightening up that window. Consider it a personal experiment. But, only do this after you have done some reading on it.

Let's say that your last meal of the day is 7PM and your first is 7AM. We will also assume that you don't often hit the fridge in the middle of the night. That gives you a eating and fasting window of 12 hours. Don't be radical but try cutting it to 10 hours. After a couple of weeks or so if you want to be daring then go to 8 hours. Keep everything else equal (calories, etc.) As you probably know its called Intermittent Fasting. Everyone does it to a degree so you would just be tweeking it. This topic has a lot of debate so my hand is already up to block the rebuffs, lol; but the negatives are usually by people that have never done it or have not done it well. Or, they didn't need to do it. I think when you hit a plateau it is the best time to see if this would be good for you.

There is a lot of good info and reading when you google this topic. I would avoid the extremes (which the above idea does, in my opinion). If you give it a fair trial it will prove to you personally that the idea that it's only calories in vs. calories out does not always seem to be true. Well, actually it is true but what is not mentioned is that our bodies fat burning efficiency fluctuates and when we hit a plateau it is usually at its worst. This is through no fault of your own. It just requires a new tactic. We burn fat all the time but the time we burn fat at the highest rate during normal activity is just before our first meal of the day. By following a plan like this we can extend that increased fat burn rate time just a bit but enough to notice tangible results. I predict that you would be so pleased with these results that you would be tempted to take it further. Here is where I would suggest not doing so. That could cause burnout.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary. Protein is spot on, but i'd say you need more fat, less carbs. Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do.

Try...

35% carbs
    35% fat
    30% protein

Works for me. I also zig zag my carbs and calories. Try not to go over 35% carbs, but throw in a low day here and there.

Home, goals, change goals, manual...

I think that would resolve your problem.

Zara x

It's true...fat doesn't make you fat...but carbs don't make you fat either.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I can respect your views here, but from a purely scientific standpoint, what I said is exactly the case. If I have the lecture notes still on my computer from intro biochem, I could send them to you.

so you are saying a 500 calorie deficit per day will put you in starvation mode? You might want to re-check your notes..
  • Heather4nne
    Heather4nne Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate: in this context, calorie deficit is defined as consuming 500 calories per day less than your minimum daily intake.

No, I'm not saying that if you eat exactly 500 calories fewer than recommended, you'll go into starvation mode in 24 hours. That depends on a whole series of person-specific factors, not the least of which being what the individual's daily caloric intake should be. But assuming that's somewhere under 1500 calories, yes, you will end up in starvation mode eventually. Meaning you won't starve to death and may not feel that hungry, but your body won't have enough calories to maintain day-to-day functions while burning it's preferred fuel sources.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Just to reiterate: in this context, calorie deficit is defined as consuming 500 calories per day less than your minimum daily intake.

No, I'm not saying that if you eat exactly 500 calories fewer than recommended, you'll go into starvation mode in 24 hours. That depends on a whole series of person-specific factors, not the least of which being what the individual's daily caloric intake should be. But assuming that's somewhere under 1500 calories, yes, you will end up in starvation mode eventually. Meaning you won't starve to death and may not feel that hungry, but your body won't have enough calories to maintain day-to-day functions while burning it's preferred fuel sources.

well I disagree that eating 1500 cals a day will put you in starvation mode...plenty of people on my friends list eat 1200 to 1500 and do well and look great...so I guess we will just agree to disagree...
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Your are assuming a different definition of deficit to everyone else.

The 500 calorie deficit is a deficit from your maintenance calories, to enable a person to lose 1lb a week, not a deficit from their minimum daily requirements.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This is not correct. Your metabolism will not start slowing until about 72 hours after a fast. Not that I am recommending it, but lets get the facts right.
  • txs78746
    txs78746 Posts: 24
    Options
    Do you weigh your food with a scale? I found that I was not being accurate with my food measurements. Depending on the food you are eating, a little bit of weight can be a lot of calories. I picked up a six dollar food scale at target and started weighing my food, after cooking it. I saw that my previous guesses were ten to twenty (or more) percent off. I try to weigh stuff when I can, but the big advantage is now I have a better feeling for what 90 grams of hamburger or 50 grams of bacon really looks like.
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 5 ft 4 and weigh 134...so we are similiar weight and height...I have found that not all exercises work for me...I lose more weight by running than any other activity...You mentioned you use to run when you were below 130...I would skip the kickboxing classes and put all my energy into running every day...When you lose the weight you want slowly add in strength training 3 days a week ...
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OP: are you weighing all your non-liquid food and measuring all your liquid food. Are you logging everything? Condiments, those lick of the spoon etc etc?
  • jeda1231
    jeda1231 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    jeeez i didn't think this thread would be so popular! haha I am not weighing my food which i think could be an issue so the scale suggestions are really good! I also don't get that much sleep maybe 6 hours a night during the week and 8 on the weekends. I eat a pretty veggie and fruit based diet with some grains like oatmeal in the morning but maybe my body has adjusted to my food routine.

That comment of limiting my intake window might be a really good idea since mine does span a large amount of time due to weird work hours during the day. I'm going to try and get back to running in the morning rather than after work and see if that has an effect! I know it is calories in vs. calories out but in my case - not so much - so time will tell and i do really try to measure everything as i do not use condiments or hard to measure stuff like that....

thanks again everyone!!
  • nashiyashi
    Options
    Hi There! I haven't been very active on here lately, but I am also 5'5'' and I was 136 lbs like you, and I recently reached my goal of 125 lbs! I ended up visiting a naturopathic doctor to ask about another problem, mentioned I was trying to lose a few lbs, and she recommended I do an elimination diet, which basically aims to determine which foods cause you to retain water weight because you are reacting adversely to them to some degree. Before this I lost 5 lbs following a relatively low carb plan, and eliminating wheat completely. Then for 7 days I was limited to some lean meats, vegetables, fruits and a nutrient powder mixed with fruit and water that had all the vitamins/minerals the body needs, no or very minor salt allowed and no sugar except fruit, and lots of water! If things in your usual diet are badly affecting you, you should lose .5 to 1 lb steadily per day of just water weight during this phase, I averaged about .7 lb per day and ended up around 126.5. After that you add in a food one at a time, through this whole process you weigh yourself every morning and if after introducing a food you gain 1+ lbs over night in water weight, that indicates a very bad reaction to the food. Once you gain again, you have to get back to your lowest weight before you can continue the process of adding foods, so it can take a while, but it was a very interesting process!

Nothing actually caused me to gain 1+ lbs overnight except for not watching my salt consumption, which is surprisingly easy to lose track of! However, wheat, corn and potatoes caused me to gain about .5 or .6 lb overnight so I now try to keep those to a minimum. Rice seems okay just not every day and in small amounts. I try to only eat grains or anything sugary or salty on the weekends now and avoid them totally during the week. Once you know what foods cause weight gain it becomes much easier to avoid them and maintain a lower weight, and I now truly believe that weight loss is not just as simple as calories in/calories out. I can eat unlimited amounts of avocados and fatty fish for example and not gain an ounce! But a couple slices of bread or a bowl of corn chips during the day and the ounces start to creep back on... good luck with your weight loss!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    jeeez i didn't think this thread would be so popular! haha I am not weighing my food which i think could be an issue so the scale suggestions are really good! I also don't get that much sleep maybe 6 hours a night during the week and 8 on the weekends. I eat a pretty veggie and fruit based diet with some grains like oatmeal in the morning but maybe my body has adjusted to my food routine.

That comment of limiting my intake window might be a really good idea since mine does span a large amount of time due to weird work hours during the day. I'm going to try and get back to running in the morning rather than after work and see if that has an effect! I know it is calories in vs. calories out but in my case - not so much - so time will tell and i do really try to measure everything as i do not use condiments or hard to measure stuff like that....

thanks again everyone!!

I would look to that first to be honest.

Here is a really eye opening video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

This is a good write up also: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • nashiyashi
    Options
    Also I just realized you work out a lot and probably have a lot more muscle than me, I have like none and my only workout is walking to the bus stop lol, so we probably look similar figure-wise but muscle just weighs more. It's up to you how much weight you feel you really need to lose, but I would also encourage you not to get toooo hung up on it since it sounds like you are very healthy and look pretty great already!