Dr. Approved.....

Options
so i work at a Dr. surgery and i was talking to one of the Dr.'s last week and she mentioned a diet that would work perfectly for me as i have mobility issues and struggle to exercise enough. the 500 cal diet, she said it's ok to eat 500 cal a day as long as its all good food, ensuring enough fruit and veg is included. she said that to start off you just do 2 days a week and then it gets built up to 7 days a week.

i just wanted to know if anyone else has heard of this and do you think it's ok?

thanks

S xx

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    thread locked in 3... 2... 1...
  • pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options

:laugh: Good call!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I'd let a weird dude in an alley give me a physical before I went to this "doctor".
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think it's a good idea. Get a second opinion.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    so i work at a Dr. surgery and i was talking to one of the Dr.'s last week and she mentioned a diet that would work perfectly for me as i have mobility issues and struggle to exercise enough. the 500 cal diet, she said it's ok to eat 500 cal a day as long as its all good food, ensuring enough fruit and veg is included. she said that to start off you just do 2 days a week and then it gets built up to 7 days a week.

i just wanted to know if anyone else has heard of this and do you think it's ok?

thanks

S xx

As somebody who's own sister is a doctor and have many docts in the family and know many doctor friends, please talk to a nutritionist!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think it's a good idea. Get a second opinion.
    I'd let a weird dude in an alley give me a physical before I went to this "doctor".

:laugh: Good call!

As somebody who's own sister is a doctor and have many docs in the family and know many doctor friends, please talk to a nutritionist!

All of these
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, yes, I've heard of this type of diet, and no, I don't think it's okay.

Nobody with a healthy mind thinks this is ok.

Please stop taking nutrition advice from your podiatrist.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Do not take diet advice from a doctor. They have very little training in proper nutrition.

A doctor advising you to only consume 500 cals a day? That will do more harm than good. You will lose a large portion of muscle and less fat. You will not be giving your body enough fuel to run on. You can't get proper nutrition from cals so low.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    I've never heard a doctor recommend getting 500 cals all day, every day. I haev heard of doing it 2 days a week--the 5:2 fast diet. Its not something I would personally do but I know people that do it.

Go see a licensed dietitian.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I've never heard a doctor recommend getting 500 cals all day, every day. I haev heard of doing it 2 days a week--the 5:2 fast diet. Its not something I would personally do but I know people that do it.

A friend of mine, a very good doctor and a successful one (he really is amazing with medicine btw, not a quack at all), suggested that you can go upto 40 days hungry and not die. People can totally go on that diet. He was serious.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Do not take diet advice from a doctor. They have very little training in proper nutrition.

A doctor advising you to only consume 500 cals a day? That will do more harm than good. You will lose a large portion of muscle and less fat. You will not be giving your body enough fuel to run on. You can't get proper nutrition from cals so low.

this...

My last Dr's visit I spend 20 minutes explaining nutrition to him. It isn't that they don't get the training, but unless they are in the field, they don't use it and forget it. Pretty much everything I was talking to him about he already knew at one point (20 years ago in school), and once I said it he would be like "yeah, thats right, then ____", so I know he knew it once because he was filling in the holes.

I can't blame them too much - there are a lot of things I learned in school that I don't use and if I needed to be able to apply it I would have to re-familiarize myself again.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    You can definitely go for a long, long time without eating and not die. However, I'm looking for better results than just not dying.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options

A friend of mine, a very good doctor and a successful one (he really is amazing with medicine btw, not a quack at all), suggested that you can go upto 40 days hungry and not die. People can totally go on that diet. He was serious.

Not dying=/= a healthy diet plan, IMO. I'm not suggesting her doctor is a quack, I'm suggesting (she said shes in a surgery) that he's a surgeon that deals with that aspect of medicine. I didnt see my normal dentist for my braces in middle school-I went to an orthodontist. I dont go to my primary care doctor for my lady business--i go to a gynocologist.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You can definitely go for a long, long time without eating and not die. However, I'm looking for better results than just not dying.

So much truth. :laugh:

Fwiw OP I'd actually recommend that you see a dietician, not a GP or nutritionist, for this type of advice.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

LOL

I have stricter criteria for my eating and exercise plan than "not dying" - yes of course that *is* an important criterion, but I think there are other important ones to be included like *not losing lean body mass* and *getting enough nutrition to run the body effectively*...
  • skinny91bum
    Options
    thanks guys, just wanted to double check i really didn't trust it.

all of the replies made my afternoon :laugh:
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This sounds exactly like the thread that got locked yesterday. MFP considers a 500 calorie diet to be waaaaay to little and very unhealthy and will not allow the promotion of it in the forums - just letting you know!
  • sarahvrogerson
    sarahvrogerson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This sounds like the 5:2 diet. This is basically eat sensibly for five days and then on two days consume only 500 calories, as if you were fasting. They have had lots of recent studies on this which showed that you wouldn't overeat on your five days off and that it was actually good for you to 'fast' for two days. They said that eating like this usually helps you to loose lbs in weight as if you were on a calorie controlled diet for the full seven days. Look up the diet as there are lots of studies on the net. However, I don't think it's a good idea to do it for more than two days a week. It can also have side affects, so be careful. As I migraine sufferer all it gave me was .... a migraine!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would discuss it with your personal physician, rather than just a friend/colleague who is a surgeon before considering anything so extreme. Primarily because if you do have a medical condition that warrants such a drastic measure, you will need to be closely monitored while doing it. But also because unless you have a medical need requiring something this drastic, you would be better off doing something more realistic and sustainable.
  • kaperlinger
    kaperlinger Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the HCG diet, but obviously with that you would be taking a shot or the drops. I know someone that was very successful with that diet, but as soon as she stopped taking the shots the weight came back on. You're better off educating yourself on eating the proper portions within a healthy calorie range. These diets may work for a period of time but eventually the weight comes back on.
This discussion has been closed.