Staying Disciplined When You Start to See Results

Options
13»

Replies

• aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I actually find seeing results makes me push myself harder!

^agree
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For me, what made this stick this time (maintaining almost 2 years), was that it was about health and fitness, not just looking better or wearing smaller clothes.

As such, losing weight was a nice side effect, but it was really about being able to go from couch potato to runner, from eating hamburger helper just about every night to cooking full, nutritious meals, from wimp to lifter.

Eating well and exercising isn't just something I do for a certain time frame to look good in a bikini for summer. It's just what I do. Period. Like brushing my teeth and shaving my legs and paying my bills. It's for life. It's not like you say, "Well, I had a good checkup at the dentists, so I'm not going to brush my teeth as much."
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Mostly, I eat stuff in moderation so I don't have this issue. But like everyone else, I do cave and eat things that just don't fit into a 1700 calorie diet. Like a blizzard from Dq.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You could try putting up your 'before' pictures on your fridge to remind you where you came from. Now this said if this is just a once in a blue moon thing it happens and I wouldn't fret about it too much.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The best thing I ever did was join a 12 week challenge. This way I am accountable to someone other than myself as well as I'm working towards winning a trip and money at the end.

I recommend looking for a goal to work towards so you have a constant focus and when you feel weak you say "pizza or my prize...what's more important"

Same for me. It helped to keep me on track when I started to lose weight. I didn't want to let my team down.
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For me I know I'm close when on the days I do slack off either from 'I dont' feel like it' attitude or work related time constraints and I still lose or maintain. When I get to that point I start easing up on some of the exercise, but still try to keep diet close to goal.
  • high5girl
    high5girl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I did this until I relaxed too much and put all but 14lbs back on again - my biggest size was 311lbs and I got down to 238 and I just relaxed and starting missing workouts and instead of treats being treats they became the norm again - so I am very aware of that.

I was so nervous when I got to the 238lbs again as it stayed there for ages and I thought it was the knife point of going back up again - but I pushed through it and this morning I am showing as 205lbs, so I know I will keep going.

I know that last time I never used MFP and my eating was so unhealthy - starving myself, not fueling myself for my exercise and over-exercising ( and it came off much quicker) - and this time it is very different - but that reminder of how it did almost all creep back on is enough to make me vigilant of one too many indulgences or too much slacking off - I get so twitchy now if I go a day or two without exercise and am much happier when I get back to healthier eating but mfp and my uber geeky health and fitness spreadsheet keeps me on track lol

^^^this. This is exactly what I don't want to happen! I'm right around that 238 mark and I don't want to gain it all back. Need to find my motivating factors again.
  • sunnyinaz78
    Options
    I like to keep and shop for a dress or pair of jeans that fits a little tight in my closet, and make it a goal to fit into them! It feels so good when they go on effortlessly. Keeps my eye on the prize, and I do mean a smaller, tighter body! It's a conscious effort everyday to keep yourself in check and on point. And it aint easy for sure! good luck!
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Mostly, I eat stuff in moderation so I don't have this issue. But like everyone else, I do cave and eat things that just don't fit into a 1700 calorie diet. Like a blizzard from Dq.

DEEE-Que, thats what i like about tex-assss! lol. love DQ
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    HI!

I know what you mean. I've only been here for a couple of months but I have dropped 10 pounds and I honestly feel like a whole new person. Instead of getting comfortable with where I am at (I'm still not there), I'm using this as motivation - how good I feel. Also thinking how bad you would feel 'going back'. Another thing maybe to do: If you want to be strong enough to lift X or fast enough to run a mile in X minutes or you want to wear that size 4 dress? Make a new goal to reach towards...Do not get comfortable. :-) xx

P.S. Way to go on your good work!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I had to reset my thinking and forget about what I've already accomplished so I can focus on what's left. I reset my ticker to zero so that any weight gained has more of an impact. Rather than dropping from losing 96 to 90 lbs, I see that I have gained 6 lbs, which seems a lot more significant.
  • Toomanytwinkies
    Toomanytwinkies Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My problem too. I reach my mini-goal and its all over...the binge begins
  • GlorianEversea
    Options
    Y'know...I have to agree with Jillian Michaels a bit. You have to want that body more than you want anything else that stands in your way.

I know it sounds crazy, but i still stare at some of the junk food in the store that used to be so comforting.....even though i know I'm going to walk on by! Because, when push comes to shove, I want to run shirtless on the beach this summer with my fam more than I want a cupcake. For me, its just. that. simple.