Losing weight but not clean eating?

Options
13»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I love those Lipton/Knorr side dishes, too, especially the rice ones.

Here's what I do when I'm short on time. Get boneless skinless chicken breasts and cut it into chunks. (I see Wegmans on your list a lot... they usually have chicken breast for $1.99/pound in the big packs.) Stir fry that with some oil until cooked through, add some frozen vegetables, and cook the rice or pasta side in the same pan. IE, chicken, Oriental blend veg, and Teriyaki noodles, then topped with some rice noodles for crunch. Or chicken, pepper onion stir fry, and Mexican rice, topped with shredded cheese. A whole meal, one dirty pan to clean, and about 20 minutes start to finish.
  • Momof2Monkeys
    Options
    If you fill guilty about feeding your family processed food perhaps you should change Try starting to change slowly so it doesn't overwhelm you and your family. Try eating clean for one meal a day or maybe snacks then work your way to all clean eating. I have been trying to slow convert my family to clean eating for a year now. But on the other hand and you are losing weight and are fine with the way you and your family eats, stick with what works for you. What works for one person may not work for someone else.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion... You can only start where you are and work with what you have. You take it one step at a time toward better health. As long as you're always making better choices than yesterday, then you're doing it right. You can't make drastic changes overnight because for the majority of people they will not last.

So to be more specific, I think it's fine that you're doing this right now. If you want to work toward a cleaner diet, that's absolutely wonderful and I highly recommend it, but you don't have to do it all at once. You can slowly add more whole foods in and eliminate the processed stuff as you go.

I used to eat a lot of processed food every single day and I eat cleaner now, though not 100% perfect. I do feel better when I eat this way, though. Also, I feel like I get more out of my workouts :)
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    On Sundays, I make something just for me. I love finding tasty recipes online with respectable ingredients. I pack up this dish and eat it for lunch for the rest of the week.

My child is a very picky eater so I do make the kid staple chicken nuggets, spaghetti etc. He'll eat corn and I try to introduce something new every once in awhile. For example, I put two little sweet potato sticks on his plate yesterday. He cried and wailed but he ate them. He would NOT be allowed his sweat treat if he didn't.

He eats fruit and nuts with wreckless abandon. He likes my baked treats so I try to use the best ingredients in my baking. I still say home baked is way better than something from the store. He also loves the healthy ones like my knock off Larabars.

He told me he'll eat vegetables when he's a grown up like me LOL

My husband is also a picky eater. I let him fend for himself.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've lost a decent amount of weight following the IIFYM rule (if it fits your macros). Currently losing ~ 1.5 lb/week and most of my food is processed. As long as it doesn't take you over your calorie limit, it won't make a difference in fat loss.

ETA: my food diary is always open if you'd like to take a look.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is a bunch of nonsense.

Meet your calorie and protein goals, and you're good to go.
  • beangen
    beangen Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh man, it makes me sad to people still going by the "calories in, calories out" routine, or saying that a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from. That myth is from old, bad science that has been completely debunked. You have to remember that food is much more than energy. It is also information that actually tells your genes how to do their job. You don't really think that 500 calories from broccoli is the same as 500 calories form Oreos, right? Besides the energy factor, those foods tell your body to do very different things. You might feel fine now, but look at what most people 50 and above look like. That's when the body finally says "enough" and starts breaking down. It's because of choices made up until that time.
    Check out this writeup from the guys at Life Time gym. Those guys get it. http://www.lifetime-weightloss.com/blog/2013/1/5/why-tracking-and-counting-calories-does-not-work-part-1.html
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Oh man, it makes me sad to people still going by the "calories in, calories out" routine, or saying that a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from. That myth is from old, bad science that has been completely debunked. You have to remember that food is much more than energy. It is also information that actually tells your genes how to do their job. You don't really think that 500 calories from broccoli is the same as 500 calories form Oreos, right? Besides the energy factor, those foods tell your body to do very different things. You might feel fine now, but look at what most people 50 and above look like. That's when the body finally says "enough" and starts breaking down. It's because of choices made up until that time.
    Check out this writeup from the guys at Life Time gym. Those guys get it. http://www.lifetime-weightloss.com/blog/2013/1/5/why-tracking-and-counting-calories-does-not-work-part-1.html

I completely agree that 500 calories of healthy, whole foods will be more beneficial for your body than processed foods and junk food. I know I feel crappy after too much of the not so good stuff. But, you can still lose weight with the calories in calories out thing, people do it all the time & that is what the OP's question was.
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I try to eat clean as much as I can. For me, its all about moderation. Carby things like pretzels chips and crackers were always my go to.. but I've learned portion control on those is key! I try to find the best and most unprocessed snacks. when I buy a bag, I split it into individual snack bags. That way I can only eat one serving! Generally, I try to avoid anything with added sugar - no juices, artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup, or processed stuff in general. I try my best not to eat anything packaged with more than 4-6 ingredients, and o like to know what they are! On occasion though, you have to treat yourself. I allow myself one diet Coke a week otherwise I drink water all day every day with the occasional almond milk and coffee.

I wanted to eat clean because my body doesn't react well to having crap in it. I find that I have a ton of energy when eating cleaner, too! If I am running that day, I run a hell of a lot better when my body has good fuel in it.

I know some people say its all calorie in and calorie out.. but do you really want all of those extra chemicals and stuff floating around in your body? I certainly don't! try watching the video "Forks over Knives".. it explains a lot!! (although I couldn't cut out meat!)
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    This term "clean eating" which I never heard until I got here really sets my teeth on edge. It's so "virtuous," it makes me want to punch things. Sorry, just had to say that. You may continue.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

You are correct, but you are talking HEALTH, not WEIGHT LOSS. Two very different categories. Of course eating clean is healthier for you and your body. I don't think anyone is saying that eating 500 calories of Oreos is the same, or just as healthy, as eating 500 calories of broccoli. But it IS pretty much the same when it comes to weight loss. When I first started this journey I had no interest in eating healthy. I lost the majority of my weight eating crap all day, every day, just staying at a calorie deficit. For weight loss, calories in vs calories out absolutely IS correct science. Now I eat cleaner because I want to be healthy, but that's a totally different story.
  • emondt
    emondt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm actually new to the "clean eating" and have realized recently that as long as I keep my protein high and carbs and sodium moderate to low, I will do ok. Since I have stopped eating processed food, I do have tons more energy, but thats about it. No extreme weight loss or anything. Any good diet should consist of protein and fruit/veggies!! Like everyone has said, its calories in and calories out!!!
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I think if you feel good, and are still getting those healthy things in your diet (and losing weight!), it's all about what works best for you!