How do you suppress your hunger pangs?

Options
So when you decide to restrict intake, and there is that initial period of feeling hungry, what's the best way of ignoring or getting rid of hunger pangs without eating? :tongue:

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I reduce my intake slowly and in a healthy manner so I don't really get hunger pangs.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I find chewing gum helps a bit. Otherwise I'll eat little things with a lot of water in between my larger snacks/meals so there's always something in my stomach. Banana, clementine, almonds, etc. Though come to think of it, I kind of do that anyway. I rarely go more than a couple of hours without food.

ETA: Whoops, didn't see you were set to 1,000 calories a day. Eat more, girl! An extra 300-400 calories a day will fix a lot of that hunger. My opinion was based on when I'm at a deficit, which is a 1300 calorie MINIMUM (normally 1350 or 1400 plus exercise calories eaten back). Thanks for noticing that, other posters.
  • zooles
    zooles Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I will drink a good amount of water and keep busy. This way I don't dwell on it.
  • Amanda2br
    Amanda2br Posts: 18
    Options
    Drinking more water in between meals and/or small healthy snacks seem to help
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Water water water! I find that warm liquids help more than cold ones. So tea, coffee, and broth. But really, I found that since I replaced the foods that were not great for me with more fibrous foods like vegetables and oats, I am not often hungry between meals despite my reduced caloric intake.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I see your calorie goal s set to 1000 per day.

You control hunger pangs by eating more. 1000 is not enough food, in my opinion (certainly not an expert, but 1000 calories is not even enough for a 10-year-old).
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

You control hunger pangs by eating more. 1000 is not enough food, in my opinion (certainly not an expert, but 1000 calories is not even enough for a 10-year-old).

BINGO!!

We have a winner!

Gum and water isn't what you need girl.

It's food.

That was the point of my original post.

:flowerforyou:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I reduce my intake slowly and in a healthy manner so I don't really get hunger pangs.

This! And set my deficit at a manageable number, like no more than 500 calories per day.

eta: At only 1000 calories per day, you are going to struggle. You are taking far too agressive an approach unless you are only 4 feet tall?
  • tryttej
    tryttej Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Eat things that will let you eat in volume, then add something you like - make a huge salad and add a little chicken or tuna or salmon or something else you like so that it still tastes good--I love adding tortilla chips to my salad. You can eat a crap ton of green beans for few calories, same with many other veggies. Eat a little of something you really want with higher caloric value, then A LOT of salad, steamed veggies, etc. Find foods that you like that will fill you up; then you don't feel so deprived and it's way easier to keep some momentum going.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First, make sure your calorie goal isn't TOO low. With the amount of weight you're trying to lose (per the ticker on your profile page), your weekly weight loss goal should be no higher than 1 pound per week.

Second, make better food choices. Foods high in protein (lean meats, legumes, greek yogurt, etc) and/or healthy fats (eggs, nuts, seeds, etc) will keep you full longer. Also keep your bread/start choices to the whole grain side so they're more filling as well. By that I mean 100% whole wheat breads, steel cut oats, and the like. These foods will likely stick with you longer than say a salad made with only green veg and fat free dressing. Add some grilled chicken and/or egg, cheese and low fat or full fat dressing and it'll stick with you a lot longer.

Third, keep healthy snacks on hand. If you're REALLY hungry, not just bored or stressed, you should listen to your body and eat something. A handful of almonds or a TBSP of peanut butter or a piece of fruit can help a lot and all of these are 100 calories or less. Even if that puts you over for the day, 100 calories in the grand scheme of things isn't going to derail your efforts.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I eat clean.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What they all said. Set a reasonable deficit and you'll lose without pangs. At your age and 1000 calories, your body needs about twice what you're eating to maintain your weight. To lose weight, you need to eat less than what you burn, but not HALF of what you burn. That's too big of a deficit. It's like getting your paycheck cut in half and trying to live a normal life on half your normal income.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I eat or drink water
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    to suppress my hunger pangs, i eat.

QFT
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're getting hunger pangs that are that bad, you're most likely not doing something right.

If I'm super hungry, I eat. Then to make sure I don't get that way again, I look at my macros and what I'm eating to make sure I'm eating often enouth, enough protein and fiber, and limiting trigger foods such as refined carbs and sugars. Try checking your calorie goals and re-address if you're constantly hungry. You should aim for 20% less than your TDEE and if you only have 20 or less pounds to lose then try lowering your number to 15-10% less than your TDEE.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

• AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Water water water! I find that warm liquids help more than cold ones. So tea, coffee, and broth. But really, I found that since I replaced the foods that were not great for me with more fibrous foods like vegetables and oats, I am not often hungry between meals despite my reduced caloric intake.

^This
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Reduce slowly. This will also keep your body from being shocked and trying to hold on to the weight. Eat clean: a huge plate of veggies and chicken will take more time to eat and make you more satisfied than one small piece of pizza. Drink LOTS of water. Sleep enough. If you are hungry, not bored or thirsty or eating out of habit, EAT. Start again tomorrow. If you just feel a bit muchy try a glass of water or tea, chew gum, eat a pickle (salty and crunchy and low cal), do something interesting, workout, take a walk, brush your teeth.....
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I don't.

If my body is hungry, I listen and eat something.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Food tends to suppress my hunger quite well.