How do you suppress your hunger pangs?

Options

Replies

• janiedoe14
    janiedoe14 Posts: 117
    Options
    drink lots of water!!!!!! low cal veggies are great for snacks, and pickles (though high in sodium) are considered a free food. i eat tons of them when i'm hungry! lol
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    So when you decide to restrict intake, and there is that initial period of feeling hungry, what's the best way of ignoring or getting rid of hunger pangs without eating? :tongue:
    I try and get active. Hunger is worse when I'm sitting around. I've tried everything else. I've been at this for a long time. I've been on maintenance since May 2012. People who don't experience hunger tell me I must be doing something wrong. They only know how their body works, they know nothing about mine. I wish I had an easy answer for you but if this was easy, everyone would be fit.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I eat. If I'm hungry my body obviously needs to be fed.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree with everyone above. In addition, I have a few things to add.

1. Are you getting enough sleep? Adults need a minimum of 7-8hrs per night. Shorting yourself on even 80mins of sleep makes you hungry enough the next day to eat an extra 500 calories.
    2. Are you actually hungry? Ask yourself if you would be willing to eat vegetables or fruit to satisfy your hunger pang. If the answer is yes, go for the veggies and fruits! If the answer is no, then you're more likely having a craving than actual hunger. What I do in this situation is grab 3 or 4 capsules of psyllium husks (available at walmart for maybe$2-$3 for a bottle of 180) and down 'em with 8-12oz of water. The psyllium is fiber, and it expands in your stomach and makes you feel fuller. That usually takes care of my hunger pangs, especially if I didn't get to sleep enough the night before! Of course you should never do this instead of making sure you are getting enough calories in for the day.

Hope this helps.
  • melplautz
    melplautz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Slim life blueberry tea is great for curbing the hunger.
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    when i am doing what i should be doing. i first drink a glass of water (sometimes i mistake thirst for hunger) if then i am still hungry i go clean something for 15 minutes or walk somthing to take my mind of my tummy. and then if i am still hungry i grab some fruit since i love sweet.
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    love this stuff
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    So when you decide to restrict intake, and there is that initial period of feeling hungry, what's the best way of ignoring or getting rid of hunger pangs without eating? :tongue:

I eat at a more reasonable caloric deficit for weight loss. I don't believe weight loss needs to be painful. I've lost 27 Lbs with nary a hunger pang.
  • jpoblete77
    jpoblete77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I tried a TB of coconut oil yesterday with my coffee and I was full past lunch, I had to force myself to eat. Look up the benefits of cocounut oil, lots of people from MFP have had the same effect. I don't have the time to discuss how a spoonful of saturated fat will help you lose belly fat...along with eating right and exercise, but you do the research.
  • randoswife
    randoswife Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who rarely feel hunger pains. I don't know why, but maybe because I make sure to eat breakfast with lots of fiber (like Quaker Oats High Fiber Oatmeal) or protein (like Greek yogurt). Eating a good, filling breakfast tends to make me want to eat less throughout the day.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Water water water! I find that warm liquids help more than cold ones. So tea, coffee, and broth. But really, I found that since I replaced the foods that were not great for me with more fibrous foods like vegetables and oats, I am not often hungry between meals despite my reduced caloric intake.
    ^ This quite definitely has helped me , plus keeping occupied doing something. Takes a little time to adjust , but if you stick to it the hunger pains go away till TOTM week hits and ravenous hunger is a battle for a short time, Just remind yourself if you stick to it , the cravings will pass. Focus on the end goal.
  • roni1179
    roni1179 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Being the obvious fat girl to reduce my calories and not experience the pain of hunger you need to also place more fiber into your diet. Fiber is a lil more filling and will help you get to you next meal very nicely. Other option is for you to set up 6 little meals through out the day so you are eating every 3-4 hrs. kinda hard to get hunger when you are eating so often but most important thing that can help. Is yes eat when hunger. If your not setting up your calories right you are not going to keep the weight off. Quick does not mean best!
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    I snack on fruit, popcorn, salad, but if i'm hungry i have a meal or a sandwich, i don't get hunger pangs because i don't let myself get hungry.
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and lots of low cal snacks like Celery!
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options

I eat at a more reasonable caloric deficit for weight loss. I don't believe weight loss needs to be painful. I've lost 27 Lbs with nary a hunger pang.
    so true
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    1,000 calories is not enough for anybody even more so for a teenager. You need to EAT FOOD to suppress your hunger pangs.
  • evolk8
    evolk8 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, found drinking a couple of glasses of warm water really did the trick ^_^
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I eat.
  • dark_angel1554
    dark_angel1554 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would definitely make sure you are getting enough calories firstly! You may need more, especially if you are working out.

I find that these days I don't really get very hungry on the amount of food I take in a day - but if I do, tea and lemon water really helps out a lot.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree with everyone above. In addition, I have a few things to add.

1. Are you getting enough sleep? Adults need a minimum of 7-8hrs per night. Shorting yourself on even 80mins of sleep makes you hungry enough the next day to eat an extra 500 calories.
    2. Are you actually hungry? Ask yourself if you would be willing to eat vegetables or fruit to satisfy your hunger pang. If the answer is yes, go for the veggies and fruits! If the answer is no, then you're more likely having a craving than actual hunger. What I do in this situation is grab 3 or 4 capsules of psyllium husks (available at walmart for maybe$2-$3 for a bottle of 180) and down 'em with 8-12oz of water. The psyllium is fiber, and it expands in your stomach and makes you feel fuller. That usually takes care of my hunger pangs, especially if I didn't get to sleep enough the night before! Of course you should never do this instead of making sure you are getting enough calories in for the day.

Hope this helps.

She already isn't getting enough calories for the day. 1000 isn't enough for anyone. NO to the psyllium husks and lots of water, you need more food.

Hello people, quit telling girls on VLCD to drink water when they are hungry. We are not meant to be hungry, even when trying to lose weight.