How much sugar grams is to much

Options

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Reddy provides the OP with an actual number, not from anecdotal experience but from the AHA, and he gets blamed for derailing the thread?

Answering an OP's question is great. This however, is a pissing match, which is what things turn into every time he participates in a thread.

Edited to expound: His first contribution to this thread was "can you tell me, for each study, who paid to have it conducted?" Is it clearer now precisely when and how this turned into a pissing match, rather than a thread about sugar?

it becomes more of a pissing match each time you keep it going. :wink:

I was simply asking a question that didn't get answered

I know you are but what am I :wink:
    Let's keep playing the cutesy derail game :wink:
    Who cares about the OP's question :wink:
    Not as important as being right in a meaningless internet argument :wink:
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options
    Your right...no more frosted flakes...they were on sale and i just couldnt resist..but today is a new day....now you said you limit yourself to 30, so the blueberries and rasberries dont have that much sugar?? they taste some much more sweeter??
    since it is your weakness you might want to buy a single serving once in a while! just a suggestion.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you have your initial calorie and macronutrients set up in a reasonable fashion, and you adhere to approximately a 20% discretionary calorie bank, then these parameters should automatically pigeon-hole your sugar intake into a reasonable target for the majority.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If you have your initial calorie and macronutrients set up in a reasonable fashion, and you adhere to approximately a 20% discretionary calorie bank, then these parameters should automatically pigeon-hole your sugar intake into a reasonable target for the majority.
    Thank you. Granted I am at about 25% right now. I am nearing the end of a 12 month cycle and have "let loose" a bit with the extra 5%.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Reddy provides the OP with an actual number, not from anecdotal experience but from the AHA, and he gets blamed for derailing the thread?

Answering an OP's question is great. This however, is a pissing match, which is what things turn into every time he participates in a thread.

Edited to expound: His first contribution to this thread was "can you tell me, for each study, who paid to have it conducted?" Is it clearer now precisely when and how this turned into a pissing match, rather than a thread about sugar?

I know you are but what am I :wink:
    Let's keep playing the cutesy derail game :wink:
    Who cares about the OP's question :wink:
    Not as important as being right in a meaningless internet argument :wink:

you have YET to mention YOUR opinion on the OP's question, ironically enough.
  • magerum
    Options

I did answer it. I will again, that can easily be found within the studies themselves. If you want me to hold you hand, some were government funded (conspiracy!) and some privately.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

My answer is that it doesn't really matter. If you don't have diabetes and don't intend to eat a diet of predominately sugar, and don't intend to cut it out completely, it will neither help nor hinder your weight loss progress. If you'd like to debate this we can do so in a PM and then post the results here.
  • magerum
    Options

My answer is that it doesn't really matter. If you don't have diabetes and don't intend to eat a diet of predominately sugar, and don't intend to cut it out completely, it will neither help nor hinder your weight loss progress. If you'd like to debate this we can do so in a PM and then post the results here.

Careful, that was my initial answer and you saw what it turned into.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    It's the refined added sugars you need to limit.

Can you explain why you state that?

listen dude, we know you love pop tarts, but cutting down on sugar is NOT a bad thing to do - it can ONLY be good for you as long as you're reasonable. why come in here and start putting down other peoples' choices while they're trying to get healthy?

I am no way putting down other peoples choices. I am trying to discourage spreading of propaganda and old wives tales. Also trying to explain to people that there's one less thing they need to worry about if they don't have a specific medical reason to worry about it. I also never said it was a bad thing.

Fear mongering over sugar isn't necessary.

We have a winner. \thread
  • Georgina47
    Options
    I don't have a medical issue w/ sugar but my doctor and PT told me to limit my sugar intake b/c it sends my body in to big highs and lows that it triggers unhealthy eating habits.. So it I want to maintain healthy eating habits I have to limit even my fruit intake I don't really care for the berries but I've been eating them... Salt is the demon I need to stay away from and since I have hypertension I crave salt......
  • CoachReddy
    Options

thanks for your input on the OPs question!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

hey man, question - do you think 250g sugar/day is too much or is it alright? to me that seems astronomical, no matter how big you are. I'm only asking because even though we disagree on a lot, you do have a better grasp of nutritional mathematics than I.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Enough. OP question is about how much sugar is too much. Magerum says "a reasonable amount". CoachReddy says "less is more."

Good points both.

With love,
    Burt

He actually didn't say that.

Great point Reddy. Perhaps I should clarify that NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK AND YOU NEED TO STOP DERAILING THREADS WITH YOUR PETTY AND JUVENILE ARGUMENTS. THE OP DOESN'T DESERVE IT AND YOU ARE NOT BEING HELPFUL. I hope this clarifies my earlier point.
    With love,
    Burt

I care what Reddy has to say. Reddy is one of about four people on here who actually understand the body. And he is nice enough to share it. And he never trolls like some do (ehem). I look at what some of you guys say and it makes me mad you try to mislead people on purpose. Not only that but your confusion over how things work in the body shock me. And you give people a hard time who are trying to help others and who actually provide research and documentation. Reddy is a great asset to any thread.

Two thoughts.

1. Nice dress

2. You accussed people of misleading others without providing research while stating sugar is " as powerful and as dangerous as a cocaine addiction." Please tell me this was the classic literary technique known as hyperbole.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Enough. OP question is about how much sugar is too much. Magerum says "a reasonable amount". CoachReddy says "less is more."

Good points both.

With love,
    Burt

let this be the AMEN of it all :sad:
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Lest this not be a waste of cyberspace, for the OP, I use <35g SUGAR daily. Carbs use 150g net. Sugar is a part of that 150 number. The Net carb number is Total Carbs (which includes sugars) less fiber.
    As some have mentioned in between rants, a little more here and a little less there is nothing to stress about. It's not a daily report card with gold stars and a trophy.

So, your number may be different, but it is out there. Lose the Frosted Flakes though. Eat the berries, yum.
    Good luck.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Your sugar intake should be based on your weight and gender.

I am to have 6g or less a day of refined sugar.
    and 100g or less of natural sugar.

Sugar addiction is as powerful and as dangerous a cocaine addiction.

Ridiculous. Way to edit out your nonsense sources. :drinker:
  • magerum
    Options
    Your sugar intake should be based on your weight and gender.

I am to have 6g or less a day of refined sugar.
    and 100g or less of natural sugar.

Sugar addiction is as powerful and as dangerous a cocaine addiction.

Ridiculous. Way to edit out your nonsense sources. :drinker:

I didn't edit out anything. This is what I read. This is what i choose to believe and I can say it without talking a fool and criticizing unlike yourself.

I'm sorry that you believe citing scientific studies is "talking a fool". You did edit out your "sources" I saw them before you did, plus it leave a little edit out tag when you do. Just like this post. I'm quoting.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It's the refined added sugars you need to limit.

Can you explain why you state that?

listen dude, we know you love pop tarts, but cutting down on sugar is NOT a bad thing to do - it can ONLY be good for you as long as you're reasonable. why come in here and start putting down other peoples' choices while they're trying to get healthy?

^^ people on this site really love Pop Tarts
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I agree. After all the classes I hav etaken the major stress factor for almost everyone attending was their sugar intake. One thing to remember and it is fact, sugar adds to belly fat and belly fat is dangerous. I try to limit myself to 30g of sugar per day no matter where it comes from...period.
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts are a waste of calories...just saying from my kitchen. Now a wholesome homemade granola bar...yummy.