What's crossfit ?

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Okay, piggybacking on this... Why do so many people dislike Crossfit?
    A lot of people feel like using momentum to complete a movement is cheating (i.e. the kipping pull-up).
    Crossfitters also have notoriously bad form when it comes to technical lifts. I don't blame them, having to do 30 snatches for time doesn't really call for perfect form on every snatch. Not to mention a lot of Crossfit coaches don't know how to properly perform the exercise themselves and teach other crossfitters incorrect form.
    It's also on the pricey end (100+ dollars a month iirc).

Overall it's a fun program that produces great results if you're into that kind of thing.

This. I would also say that, like most things, it depends completely on the coach.

Some crossfit coaches are great and reinforce form.

Others don't and you see alot of injuries.
  • 375a6e39_TooBO.gif
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    essentially randomized circuit training doen in a group setting.

Some people love it, some hate it.
    If you find a good box, it wouldn't be bad to train there.
    But there are some awful coaches out there who were certified in a weekend and now own a gym...
  • How do you know someone does Crossfit? Don't worry, they will tell you.....

LOL. They have to tell you because they never get big enough for you to know they work out just looking at them in clothes.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    before i got on this site, i thought the majority of crossfitters worked out at home. seems like people here think if your not going to a box, your not doing crossfit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Okay, piggybacking on this... Why do so many people dislike Crossfit?

I attended a couple of classes out of curiosity...for me:

1.) Way too "religious." Everyone was an evangelical zealot...reminded me of my mega church days growing up. It was the Crossfit way or no way, including the Paleo diet (meh). They even called me a couple of times per week and sent me pamphlets in the mail for about a month.

2.) Circuit training stupified...I'm a former Marine and I expected it to be similar to a lot of the circuit type training I did in the Corps. Meh...kinda...just done less intelligently and with little regard to safety.

3.) Kind of goes back to #2, but a bit dangerous in RE to some people there really having no business being there at their current fitness level. Just looking for injury or worse...no coaches telling them to slow down, etc

4.) Exercise form is pretty much off the charts horrible....more emphasis on speed and time than proper execution of the exercise. Again, kinda goes back to #2...circuit training stupified.

5.) Way too "religious"....oh, did I say that already?

I'm sure a lot probably depends on the box and the coaches...but meh...not really my thing.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    "My warm-up is harder than your workout" sums up everything wrong with the crossfit mentality to me.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Crossfit is getting a bad reputation the same way anything else does: people hear about the negatives and don't pay much attention to the positives.

I take a High Intensity Interval Training class that is basically chock full of Crossfit exercises, but I refer to it as HIIT because I'm allergic to listening to other people's negativity when it comes to my choices for health and fitness.

My trainers are sticklers for form, they are certified in a lot more than just Crossfit, and I'm seeing great results from the combo of cardio and strength training. I started three months ago and I feel fantastic. No one has asked me to eat differently or believe differently.

Like so many things in life, you get out of it what you put into it.
  • Crossfit is getting a bad reputation the same way anything else does: people hear about the negatives and don't pay much attention to the positives.

I take a High Intensity Interval Training class that is basically chock full of Crossfit exercises, but I refer to it as HIIT because I'm allergic to listening to other people's negativity when it comes to my choices for health and fitness.

My trainers are sticklers for form, they are certified in a lot more than just Crossfit, and I'm seeing great results from the combo of cardio and strength training. I started three months ago and I feel fantastic. No one has asked me to eat differently or believe differently.

They aren't "Crossfit exercises" Crossfit didn't invent any exercise. They just put them together in a way that is bad, random, and has no plan for progression or periodization.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    "My warm-up is harder than your workout" sums up everything wrong with the crossfit mentality to me.
    That is actually Insanity.. and its "my warm-up is your workout"

just felt the need to correct that - and often times I feel that is true, after doing the warm up I am often sweating more than I ever did doing my other workout. Not that I would ever say it to anyone I have just seen the pictures online stating this.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    How do you know someone does Crossfit? Don't worry, they will tell you.....

LOL. They have to tell you because they never get big enough for you to know they work out just looking at them in clothes.

I certainly hope i look like i lift.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member

just felt the need to correct that - and often times I feel that is true, after doing the warm up I am often sweating more than I ever did doing my other workout. Not that I would ever say it to anyone I have just seen the pictures online stating this.

I didn't say that. I said this:

https://www.google.com/search?q="My+warm-up+is+harder+than+your+workout"&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 715 Member

A warm up should just be enough exercise to get your muscles warm and your heart rate up. It really does not need to be so intense that it makes you all that sweaty.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    ^^ ok then, consider the first 3 min of the insanity warm up as a traditional warm up and the rest is exercise lol.

3 min is actually about the same or more time then you take to warm up in p90x if you don't count the streching

and its probably 3 min more then most people take to warm up for exercise at the gym, which typically seems to be 0 min
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Crossfit is getting a bad reputation the same way anything else does: people hear about the negatives and don't pay much attention to the positives.

They aren't "Crossfit exercises" Crossfit didn't invent any exercise. They just put them together in a way that is bad, random, and has no plan for progression or periodization.

*ACHOO*
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    The workout Jesus did.

Mwahahahaha!

'I knew I was crazy because I was watching Jesus Christ Superstar and the part where Jesus carries the cross up the mountain, I actually said to myself, "Wow! That must be a really good workout! Yeah, because you're doing arms and cardio!"' Margaret Cho.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    tumblr_lo37vjBkDa1qj73e2o1_250.gif

Darth, when did you get so fat?

Maybe you need to stop the Crossfit/paleo and eat TDEE -20% and lift heavy.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    This whole thing kind of amazes me because none of it is like my crossfit gym. They even kept me in Elements (they keep beginners separate from people who know what they're doing) for a long time because I wasn't quite getting the moves down right. Even the, they are always talking about form. After a warm up, everyone, experienced or otherwise, participates in drills meant to improve form. This is usually done with only the barbell and with coaches walking past correcting things that need to be corrected. They stress to work on form first before you get to speed. The last part of class is the workout. If we are expected to do a large number of reps, the weight is different than if we are only doing a few reps per round. So, yes, they do have you push yourself in terms of weight - sometimes - but they balance that with other days where the focus is on endurance.

My crossfit gym cant be the only one like this.

As for the religious comment, it's no different than Yoga, or Pilates or any other fitness activity. People are passionate and proud about what they do to improve their health. Just because it's the best for them does not mean it's the best for everyone, but when you go to a crossfit, expect to be surrounded by people who think crossfit is the way to go.
  • PomegranatePriestess

My crossfit gym cant be the only one like this.

It's not. Mine isn't like what has been described. But mine doesn't even describe itself as "Crossfit" outright, and this may be why.

The gif of the guy doing ring rows... that has to be a joke, right? Because that would NEVER pass at my gym.

Also, we don't do "kipping" at my gym.

As for people talking about lifting "heavy" as if I must not be doing that if I'm doing HIIT: when I'm expected to deadlift 20+ times in a row multiple times in a workout, I'm deadlifting somewhere between 85 and 105 pounds. I don't consider that light. Maybe others do. When I'm flat on my back on the floor doing dumbbell presses, I'm pressing two 27.5 (or last week 30 pound) dumbells for those same 20 reps multiple times in a workout. Again, I don't call that light weight. Maybe others do. But this is what my trainer is recommending for me, and I started in January.
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    I like the drama that happens at crossfit headquarters. How many high profile experts have they partnered with, then had an embarrassingly public falling-out with? Rippetoe, Wolff, there's more I can't recall I'm sure....the people at the top of the organization are bozos.