Hummus....

Options

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I eat it with crackers, pita bread, vegetables (carrots, bell peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.), and sometimes I'll put it on a sandwich. My favorite is with crackers, though, because I love the crunch with the smoothness!
    this.
  • SheriBethB
    SheriBethB Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Dip for carrots, with baked tortilla chips, sandwich spread, mixed with tuna or chicken in place of mayo for salads, and this recipe - which is absolutely AMAZING http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/hummus-crusted-chicken/
  • Sharksharkles
    Options
    I love hummus & use it on sandwiches & wraps. I don't use oil because of the calories so mine is not super creamy but really yummy. I like it with sprouted grain tortillas or coconut paleo bread.
    Bob Harper has a great recipe.
    -2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
    -1/4 tsp salt
    -1 15.5 oz can low sodium garbanzo beans drained & rinsed
    -1/2 clove garlic chopped
    -1/4 cup low sodium veggie broth or water to taste
    I usually add sun dried tomatoes, roasted red pepper or olives to add extra flavor.
  • meidie1980
    meidie1980 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sometimes...I just eat it with a spoon. Yum.

Guilty of this too!

And i was thinking i was the only one! got to love (homemade!) hummus
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Easy Cucumber Cups

l5004590061_zps15e68859.jpg

Nutritional Info
    servings Per Recipe: 12
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 26.6
    Total Fat: 1.3 g
    Cholesterol: 2.0 mg
    Sodium: 61.1 mg
    Total Carbs: 2.6 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.6 g
    Protein: 0.9 g

Minutes to Prepare: 15Number of Servings: 12

Ingredients
    1 English (seedless) cucumber, peeled

1/2 cup peas*
    1 tablespoon horseradish mustard
    1/4 cup sour cream, reduced fat
    1/4 cup hummus

1 sprig fresh dill, separated into 12 sections

* I used no-salt added canned peas, but you could also use thawed frozen peas.

Tips
    We often turn to bread, crackers, or other whole-grain products as a vehicle to get dip from point A to point B. I like to use vegetables whenever I can. For this spicy, creamy dip, I used cucumber, but you could use any vegetable: hollowed cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, or endive leaves.

Directions
    Cut the cucumber into 12 rounds (approximately 2 inches each). Scoop out the inner flesh being careful not to scoop out all the way through to the bottom. Place the slices on paper or cotton towels to drain.

Puree the peas, mustard, and sour cream using a blender or immersion blender, or mash with a fork until smooth.

Fill each cup with 2 teaspoons of hummus, then fill to the top with the pea mixture. Garnish with a dill sprig.

One filled cup per serving.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    eat it up yum! seriously dip crackers in it, carrots, spread it like a condiment (on veggie burgers), sometimes i'll put it in mashed potatoes.
  • 950VStar
    950VStar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat it with crackers, pita bread, vegetables (carrots, bell peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.), and sometimes I'll put it on a sandwich. My favorite is with crackers, though, because I love the crunch with the smoothness!

ETA: I also make my own because I think it tastes better than store bought and is very easy to make!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I get the spinach with artichoke hummus and eat it with celery sticks. Some people use pretzel sticks or pita chips. It's really good. It took me a while to get used to the texture though.
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    pita bread with taboli, or melba toast sesame/ sea salt
  • Tulipbirdy
    Options
    I LOVE HUMUS! i eat some everyday. on my bread, crackers, vegetables or even just pure humus. tasty and healthy:)
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Mixed it in with my tuna yesterday and it was yummy.
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NoStoppingNow77
    NoStoppingNow77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like putting it in a halved hard boiled egg without the yolk...kind of like deviled eggs. Lot's of good protein and it's delicious!
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I dip cucumber slices in it now, but I used to dip corn chips in it (lots of calories that way). I hear it's also good in wraps.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You can use it as a dip for veggies and crackers It's also really good in sandwiches instead of mayo.
  • NoStoppingNow77
    NoStoppingNow77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love to eat it with hard boiled eggs. Kind of like deviled eggs. Lots of protein and really filling. My 17 month old even loves it.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I dip carrots in it (weirdly i dont like it with any other veg...) or use it instead of mayo in sandwiches :D
    x
  • shellplen
    shellplen Posts: 31
    Options
    Glad I found this I usually have red pepper humous with carrot sticks, or just. Eat it with. A spoon.
    never thought of pitta. Thank you muchly.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    with some veggies mmm
  • Roverage
    Roverage Posts: 6
    Options
    Hummus is like my third favorite food. I eat it with everything (almost) I often eat homemade wraps for lunch and use that as my spread inside the wrap (then I add veg, it's fantastic).

I also use it as a dip for raw vegetables like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower - I'll even use it as a dressing for salad. Just make a salad and instead of salad dressing - hummus!

I use it as a dip for crackers too - or sometimes even just a slice or two of toast.

I think lot of people like to dip pita bread or chips in it..