What Convinced You To Change?

Options

Replies

• traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a good role model for my children they are coming up to teenage years where they could be lead off the wrong path and I wanted to show them you can achieve a healthy lifestyle with exercise, I haven't changed the way I eatwe always try to eat healthy but I stopped exercising which was all it took, I was also about to hit 40 and I didn't want to be fat and forty but wanted to be fit and forty ????
  • jacobsgma7811
    Options
    Hating my self , had an accident in 05 I have put on 100+ pounds depression I lost my home my car everything I valued even my job and I loved it. I had no choice but to move in with friends at there instances well that ship has sank , while I had money they LOVED me could not do enough for me I was bed bound for 3 years now that the money is gone Well that is neither here nor there , now I hobble around with a walker and I feel if I loose this weight maybe I'd move better.I must get on my own I hate my living arrangements I rather die alone if I fall then live like this because right now I am dead inside.
  • laurajcrampton
    Options
    Uni, Christmas, Birthdays, Easter and any chance for chocolate or junk food or alcohol and I'd agree to it...

My Doctor told me that I'm in danger of a high blood pressure (it runs in my family) and that I need to "be healthier" - I was 73kg (5ft 4") when she told me this!
    I have always been a bit curvier and chunkier than my friends... And now I want to be healthier too.

What changed my mind?
    My boyfriend of 4 years proposed to me on the Millennium bridge, standing in the shadows of St Pauls Cathedral in London on the 8th January 2012... I did nothing between then and Christmas with regards to exercise... But now, I HAVE A WEDDING TO PLAN (as soon as I hand in my dissertation, I am going dress shopping).

Also... At New Year I had a horrific sickness bug, and I lost at least 2 inches from my waist... And even though I felt **** at the time, I was happy that i could fit in to an old pair of jeans.... And that kick started it.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Bit of a similar tale, caught sight of big fat self in full length mirror whilst on holiday, then ran out of fatty belt holes so decided I did not want to into my 70's as a big fat git

So funny.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    I was sick of being fat. period.

My boyfriend of 3 years cheated on me while I was pregnant and claimed it was because I was fat. I know better now. But I lost the weight and left him.

Good for you!!
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I was severely bulimic for a couple of years and lost a lot of weight because of it. When I began recovery I gained a lot of it back, as you do, and was once again overweight. I decided to lose the extra pounds the healthy way, learning to eat well and intuitively along the way, exercising in healthy doses, keeping my body fit, healthy and strong rather than malnourished, weak and dying.

I've changed immensely since starting this 'diet' and using MFP. I was actually in the middle of a relapse when I started using it and reading a lot of the posts on here really helped me see how much damage I was doing to my body by eating so little.

It's not about being thin for me, however nice it would be to have a perfect body, it's more about accepting myself no matter what I look like, loving myself because I AM worthy of self-respect. It's about kicking bulimia in the butt and having an awesome success story to tell in the future, because I plan on being an Eating Disorders Therapist, to help others like me. I want to be in session with another young girl going through what I did, crying about their ED, and tell them, truthfully and from the heart, that there is hope and they CAN and WILL beat it, because I did.
  • mediatorslave
    Options
    Good for you! ur better of without him!
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    For me...I had always worked out and ate healthy. After 2 surgeries and a pregnancy I gained weight. I wasn't happy wioth the few extra lbs, but nothing I did would budge it.

I tried a famous diet (even though I knew better...you do stupid things when you are desperate) that ruined my metabolism...lost some, but rebounded.I worked with a very well know female bodybuilder and while I gained some muscle....she could not budge the fat off me.

I was resigned to be an ordinary looking frumpy middle aged Mom...figured that's just what it was for me. I ate healthy, have logged my food since the 80s, worked out, did martial arts. I was healthy, but just didn't have that "WOW" body.

I bought P90X as a last ditch effort. I just knew it wouldn't work, and set out to prove it wrong.:smile: After just a few weeks I knew this was something different. I had set a modest goal of losing 20lbs in a 6 month period. I lost 19lbs and almost about 10% bodyfat in my first round!! After that I knew I had found what I was looking for.:drinker:

I am now in my 8th round and still loving it...still getting amazing results....and have a better body than I could have imagined. :
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Uhm, I was fat. Grotesque. Looking in the mirror caused me great anxiety and panic attacks. Doctor said my cholesterol was high and I'd need to go on meds if I didn't drop some weight pronto. My sex life sucked. I was sick of being the me I had become.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    I've always loved fitness, was sporty at school and after, once I had kids I struggled to find time for me. I wasn't devastated by my reflection but I knew it could be better.

My main motivation was my mother, it felt that overnight old age rained down on her, she went from being a sprightly fiercely independent lady to near loss of mobility through arthritis and brittle bones.

It's so traumatic seeing her like this so I decided for my children to invest in my old age and give myself the very best advantage I can.

I’ve managed to find me time…6am when everyone is still asleep lol, but I work out 5 mornings a week.

I’ve always ate well, my mother was an old fashioned cook all from scratch and I’m the same.

I hope these investments will pay off.

I'll report back in 35 years lol.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Something clicked. I had a close friend who was having success using MFP and we are similar in size, so I decided to see what it was all about. I had never tried losing weight before, I didn't think I had to. I thought that I was destined to look the way I looked.
  • HunterKiller_wechange2
    Options
    I decided i wanted to get fit and give up smoking at the same time. I figured that if i gave up and started working out it would give me something to focus on and it worked. Ive never looked back. Feel healthy and fit plus i don't smell anymore (not of ciggies anyway :) and i stopped getting headaches at work from all the crap i was eating. Got more stamina now too which is a bonus. ;)
  • kayla7jackson
    Options
    Honestly, when I stepped on the scale and saw 290 I could have fainted. I was damn near 300 lbs. I debated what to do to lose weight and finally decided to join the local gym. I started going to the gym 5 days a week and walking on the weekend when the gym wasnt as convenient. I loved it and looking at all the fit people there made me realize what I could have with lots of hard work and dedication. I started this in August of 2012, currently at a 41 lb weight loss. I am pretty happy with my results, we all wish it would happen quicker but you know...
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    What I saw in the mirror with only my underwear on. I felt embarassed. :sick:
  • PietrosMom
    Options
    I had to make a change because I was told I have high cholesterol (276) and prehypertension (120/180). I'm not even 40 yet!!
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Routine blood test scared me into doing something, I have a 10 year old son and I want to see him grow up. The best thing is that he's started to exercise along with me on the wii fit. It's great that I have a bit of competition.
  • GeekTink
    GeekTink Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My doctor said my birthcontrol would stop working over 200 lbs. I was 215 when he mentioned it again.

And I saw my pictures from this past christmas. Holding my newest baby cousin, everyone said I looked like I had just had him O.O That was a real eye opener. Pic is on my profile. I was so ashamed.

Plus in pictures my girlfriend looks like a twig beside a whale. Shallow I know, but I want her to think of me as one hot mama lol.
  • luvmynook
    luvmynook Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    sick and tired of being sick and tired!!
  • jessallus
    Options
    My Husband is what convinced me. He is having problems walking because of his weight. I now know I was killing my family with food that taste good. So now Im walking at least 5 days a week and we are slowly working on him.
    :flowerforyou:
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My daughter said bluntly to be one day:

' you know Mum, I know that my step dad is very ill, and you have to spend all your time looking after him, but that is no excuse for you acting so old and like your life is over. You are not, you are still the 'young at heart' mum in there somewhere. Goddammit, even my grandma (my mother!!) still walks everywhere and looks fit and healthy and she's got 27 years on you'.

Core blimey, what a wake up call!!!! I LOVE my daughter :heart:

I am now nearly at my goal weight & body fat % and feel better than ever before in my life. I owe this fantastic feeling to my daughter. I feel like I have been on that programme '10 years younger'.