What Convinced You To Change?

Options

Replies

• brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Being a hypocrite.

seriously. One of my biggest pet peeves, is people smoking. I am dumbfounded by how people are knowingly killing themselves, and the only thing stopping them from quitting, is themselves. But no, they keep on puffing away, making excuse after excuse as to why they can't do it.

I would go on and on about how much their excuses were total crap....

then, it was like a light bulb went off. Here i am, making excuse after excuse as to why i'm overweight. I am knowingly killing myself every time i eat things that have no nutritional value for myself... but yet, there i went, stuffing it all away.... and as far as weight loss went, i'd have all these bs "reasons" as to why i couldn't do it.

I decided i was NO better than any of them. :noway:

After that, there was no stopping me! I've stuck to working out at Crossfit for a solid 10 months now, and while it took me a while to finally get dedicated to tracking my food, i finally started sticking with it, and the pounds are melting off! :happy:
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in the doctor's office with a sprained back, listening to him tell me I was borderline morbidly obese. My blood pressure was consistently high, liver functions low. I thought about my grandson and decided I wanted to be around for him when he grows up.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Holiday Facebook photos.

Nuff said.
  • MzIrish
    MzIrish Posts: 11,917 Member
    Options
    It was was when my grandbaby (@9month old ) grabbed me under the chin when I was holding her. I could feel her holding the fatty part on my neck under my chin.That there told me it was time. I have always enjoyed exercising, but let things get in the way and never take time for myself. Now I am taking the time.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I'd been having leg and hip pain for years (at times so bad I had to use a cane or wheelchair), due to a pinched nerve in my back. Because surgery at the time was pretty much a crap shoot (and I could not be sure I was even eligible) with a 50/50 chance of relief and a long recovery time, I had injections (which didn't work very well or for very long). With limited mobility, exercise has been spotty and the weight just kept creeping up (didn't help that in that time I lost some significant friends and family members...and I am an emotional eater).

The last few years have seen some nice advances in technique and I finally told my physician I'd like to see if the surgery would work for me. The neurosurgeon I saw (as well as the second opinion neuro) sees me as an excellent candidate -- provided I lose 40 pounds. So there you go.

This has not been difficult and after losing this 40, I plan to just keep on with it and lose the next 40 as well, which would put me at the same weight I was before having children.
  • Eyestrain
    Eyestrain Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1- High blood pressure
    2- Diabetes
    3- Cholesterol levels
    4- And just not being able to do things I use to do.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We have been trying to conceive for a long time. There is no medical reason why we have not had a successful pregnancy up till now. After a heartbreaking cycle, I had a conversation with my SIL who had her own 6 year struggle with infertility and she said something that clicked with me. You can control your health. One of the things that is the hardest with infertility is that there are no guarantees and no matter what you do, your control is pretty much limited. That coupled with a monstrous obsessive type A personality had me beyond frustrated. This I can control, I can control what i put in my body, how much I work out, what my goals are...on and on. So I have been doing just that. I don't know if this will help with conception or not and its really hard for me to believe that at this point...that would just be a bonus. After 3 years of being consumed with something I can not control, I have my mind back. I can focus. I set goals that are being reached...I can get my body back too. In this journey, my body gives me back the effort I put into it and that's JUST what I need :)
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I had already started this journey, kind of on accident 3 and a half years ago. When I made the decision to get out of a very unhappy marriage all the sudden weight just started pouring off of me... I had more energy, so then when the weight stopped coming off, I looked at my diet. I found that I barely ate, and what I did eat was just really bad for me... it was either all fruits and veggies and nothing truely substantial, or quick easy things that were ladden with fat and calories.

I was pretty happy where I was, still trying, but not really making a huge deal out of it, then when I had my baby girl I decided "hey I'm gonna be 40 real soon, I MUST be around for her so I need to kick it in gear again and really try!" So here I am... starting fresh again and so far I have lost 6.5 pounds since Feb 10th and I'm feeling better again....
  • Louttie
    Louttie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My legs rubbed together too much.. chafing hurts!
  • MrsTyHarris
    MrsTyHarris Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For me I didnt realize how much my weight affect my overall health, I misscarried last April and it was an eye opner. What keeps me going is my hubby and children and a desire to feel better. I also sing and do work in the my church, and I want to do so with more ease and be comfortable in my skin
  • kbars10
    kbars10 Posts: 2
    Options
    I looked at my wedding and honeymoon pictures and barely recognized myself under all that weight. I wanted to make a change to not only lose weight, but get healthy and fit. Walking up the stairs at work with my coworkers was embarrassing. I decided to make a life change...not just a diet and exercise until I get to an ideal weight...a permanent life change. I want my future kids to grow up with healthy eating habits and exercise part of life, not a chore.
  • MsJennyffer
    MsJennyffer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've always been the big girl, even in my smaller days. For the past year and a half I've been up and down with workouts and trying to eat healthy. I eventually get discouraged because I don't see results. This week I decided to join weight watchers, and attended a meeting and got weighed in. I am at my highest weight I've ever been and I hate it, deep down I had to know it because I've been avoiding scales for the past 6 months. I feel embarassed of the way I look and I want to feel better about my self.

I just have to keep telling my self " Don't give up. If you slip one day, just hop back on! Don't deprive yourself too much because thats what helps us fall hard and stay down. Just remember to jump back up and continue after a bad day."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Having children inspired me to start eating healthy and exercising regularly. I was gung-ho on raising perfect healthy children :laugh: . That was more than 30 years ago. I've eaten more or less the same since then.

I never had a weight problem until the nest emptied. Then it became a yo-yo of slack off on exercise, gain a few pounds, get back on track with exercise, lose the pounds, slack off, gain, back on track, lose. I was still eating the same so it was always a slow gain.

Then around Christmas 2010, I finally it 30 lbs overweight, I was about to turn 50 (!), and my triglycerides were borderline high. And I felt FAT! Not like me at all. So, I made the stereotypical New Year's resolution, bought some Zumba DVDs, got back on track. I lost the weight and haven't stopped since.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I looked horrible and I felt like I was dying. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and Fibromyalgia a year ago and felt like giving up. But, when I look into my husband's eyes and see how loved I am and how worried he was I knew how unfair I was being. I had always been able to lose weight when I was younger, but with these new obstacles I wanted to be sure this would be a permanent lifestyle change. I found MFP and know that I can become fit and healthy again. I have my really good days and my breathing is all I can manage today days, but I have not once let myself believe I cannot succeed. I found an amazing support system in friends I have never met.
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was very active in high school. So I was thin when I graduated. I went off to college and met a guy who was awful. I got depressed and gained 40 lbs in 2 months. And just kept gaining. I have done a few exercise programs, but never really stuck with them. I stayed with that guy for 6 years and after we broke up I told people I lost about 220 lbs. But I kept gaining weight. I got to my heaviest aroudn 225. I honestly didn't feel like I was that big (when I look at pics though, wow!). I got a new horse and I wanted to start becoming serious about barrel racing again. And I knew I needed to be in shape and lighter for my horse. So I just started running. And that was 6 months ago and riding is easier, my saddle fits better. I am almost half way to my goal weight. It can get hard and frustrating. But when I get in that saddle I know it is all worth it.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I saw myself in a picture (didn't realize how I REALLY looked until then) and was tired of seeing the scale at the weight I was..
    Now I push because mentally and physically I feel so amazing!
  • youcandoitjanet
    youcandoitjanet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Never in a million years did I think I would weigh this much. I can't tell you how painful tight pants are around my waste - and all I've done for the last two years is get larger and larger sizes. The belly rolls around my stomach limit what tops I can wear because I don't think it's fair for people to have to see them - so I wear the same oversized shirts and sweaters again and again. I can't button my winter coat and can't afford to buy a new one. I guess I got to the point last week to finally tell myself that if I continued eating how I was eating - things weren't going to magically change by themselves. I have gained fifty pounds in 7 years. I'm about 5'1''. I've had excuses on top of excuses.....i was unemployed for 17 months, lost my house in foreclosure, mom and sister got diagnosed with cancer, shoulder surgery, etc. etc. etc. But you know what - that's life! And if I wait for 'bad things' to stop happening I'll be another 50 pounds heavier in 7 years. I need to eat healthfully and hopefully at some point soon find the time to begin exercising regardless of the 'bad things' going on. So - I started My Fitness Pal one week ago. I've lost some weight - (3 pounds) which blows me away) - but it's not 100% about the weight. I feel like I'm regaining some control in my life. When I can't control everything else - I CAN control what goes in my mouth. Good luck to everyone - and thanks for this. I didn't want to do this alone - and now I feel like I'm not!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I had been healthy and in decent shape all my life. Had a few hard years and life changes, got a bit lax, after surgery for fibroids, I just decided as part of my recovery, I'd get back to how I was 5 yrs ago, it better.
  • ReillyCraig
    Options
    I realized I spent the last 5 years of my life doing little but playing video games and relaxing without any wonder or care for my body.

Once I began meditation and self reflection my life snapped out of its pattern and I feel as if I began a second life, not just figuratively.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Went to the doctor's office to start a new birth control and got weighed. I cried after I left the doctor's office and knew I needed to change or I would end up like a lot of people in my family....