Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What has worked for you and what hasn't?

13»

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Didn't work: low carb, eating more to weightless, tdee, turbofire, zumba, eating back all exercise calories.

Did work: drastic calorie restriction, 1200-1400 intake, not eating more than 100 exercise calories back
    How does "tdee" not work for you? If you're losing weight, you're eating below your tdee. How is that not working?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Didn't work: low carb, eating more to weightless, tdee, turbofire, zumba, eating back all exercise calories.

Did work: drastic calorie restriction, 1200-1400 intake, not eating more than 100 exercise calories back
    this is such a weird question because the problem is that ALL of the things you listed that didn't work, DO work in a significant number of people. Everything is subjective. the only variable between those who lose weight and those who don't is figuring out the cal in/cal out equation properly. how much or how little exercise has nothing to do with whether you will lose weight if you're eating proportionally to your caloric burn (though it can effect the speed of the weight loss by building muscle which will raise your BMR and metabolism). thus saying things like zumba or turbofire "didn't work" simply means that you didn't figure out the right nutritional equation to go with the amount of calories you were burning on the program in addition to your daily life. That's not a criticism, because it's hard to get right - but blanket statements like "such and such didn't work for me" probably has very little to do with the program and/or specific eating plan, but more likely your implementation of it.

Also, sorry to quote your specific post, but this is more of a general statement regarding things that "don't work". yours just happened to be the first one I saw. :flowerforyou:
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235

Wow...I'm so sorry. :cry: What "did work" sounds miserable. If I had to do that, I'd rather be fat.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    What works for me is eating at a relatively small deficit (250-500 calories below maintenance), not cutting out anything I like, staying active, and eating back my exercise calories.

This is what is working for me as well. Although, since I still have over 100 pounds to lose, I aim for a 750 calorie deficit. Once I get another 20 or so pounds off, I'm going to drop it to 500. Slow and steady is definitely winning for me.

I also think it is incredibly important to deal with why I overate and got to the place I was in. For many people with a lot of weight to lose, there are major mental and emotional components to their weight gain. I had to start dealing with my emotional eating and the way I felt about myself before I could really change how I treated my body. I actually spent about a year and a half in therapy before I started losing weight and got myself into a much better mental place. That was the biggest change from my past (failed, obviously) weight loss attempts.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member

Wow...I'm so sorry. :cry: What "did work" sounds miserable. If I had to do that, I'd rather be fat.

Meh I'm getting used to it. I think my medication may be making weightloss difficult. I am going to ask next time I go to the doctor for a refill in a couple of months.
  • redraidergirl2009

How does "tdee" not work for you? If you're losing weight, you're eating below your tdee. How is that not working?

I wish I had the answer for you :/
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member

Probably that your TDEE is very low....are you a life long yo-yo dieter? TDEE minus 20% work...the trouble is when your TDEE for whatever reason is lower than the norm
  • CoachReddy

if you think it may be your medication, it's probably your medication. (also his point was that you ARE eating below your TDEE right now, so not eating more than your TDEE is actually working)
  • redraidergirl2009
    apparently my tdee isbetween 2143 and 2416. If I eat anywhere near that I gain. If I eat 1600-1800 I don't lose, I maintain. Yea probably something external going on there as to why it doesn't work for me.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    apparently my tdee isbetween 2143 and 2416. If I eat anywhere near that I gain. If I eat 1600-1800 I don't lose, I maintain. Yea probably something external going on there as to why it doesn't work for me.

If you gain at 2143, that isn't your TDEE. That's just what a calculator estimates your TDEE to be. Your TDEE is the total amount of calories you burn in a day, which for you just doesn't seem to match up with what the calculator estimates (could definitely be the medication or another metabolism issue).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Your TDEE is 1,600 - 1,800 then if that is what you are maintaining at. The online calculators, which is where I assume you get the other numbers for are based on a sample population, for which, your circumstances may not match. People's BMR and therefore TDEE can easily be lower due to a number of metabolic circumstances such as prolonged dieting, PCOS, thyroid issues, some medications etc.

Edited for typo
  • CoachReddy

maybe you're setting your lifestyle too high? like "lightly active" when it should be "sedentary" or something similar?
  • redraidergirl2009

Your TDEE is 1,600 - 1,800 then if that is what you are maintaining at. The online calculators, which is where I assume you get the other numbers for are based on a sample population, for which, your circumstances may not match. People's BMR and therefore TDEE can easily be lower due to a number of metabolic circumstances such as prolonged dieting, PCOS, thyroid issues, some medications etc.

Edited for typo

Man that sucks if that's my actual TDEE then since that's what I maintain at. I'll be sure to ask my doc what might be going on there.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    many things have worked with for me (for fat loss and muscle gain but I assume this thread is referring to fat loss)

Leangains style IF
    Hitting minimum protein & fats
    making sure I'm in calorie deficit
    lifting heavy stuff regularly

that's about it.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    bump
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    I cut way back on pasta. My husband loves pasta and would cook spaghetti every single night if I let him. I finally had to stay no to his late night pasta meals and eat something healthier if I was still hungry. I now only have pasta once a week if that. Sometimes I only have it once a month. I also cut way back on salty foods. I love love love salty snacks like salty mixed nuts or chips, cheese puffs...omg cheese puffs!! Not only did I lose weight quickly when I started trying to lose weight but my BP went way down and eventually I was able to go off of all of my meds. Now I rarely even take something for a headache.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    What has been working for me in the last 14 months:

1. I eat responsibly and sensibly. Most of my meals are homemade so I control everything that goes into them. Also, bacon and dark chocolate have remained compulsory components of my nutrition.

2. I lift heavy.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    No wonder you lost 96 pounds. Congratulations. I have most of my food planned out as well as my exercise for the remainder of the month. I have found that this has helped me a lot.