Do the changes ever become permanent?

Options
2»

Replies

• sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Right at the beginning I decided this was a change for life. There was no alternative. I am not going back where I've been.

Therefore I have been eating at a very sensible deficit from my TDEE which is only slightly lower than my goal weight TDEE for maintenance. I did cut out sugary foods and chocolate which I knew were my downfall. I have ensured that the foods I eat and in particular new foods I have added to my diet, are ones that I can eat forever. I have found alternatives to my previous favourite unhealthy foods. i.e. I would grab your hand off if you offered me an apple sliced with a dab of peanut butter spread on each slice, whereas I would not thank you for chocolate now.

I am getting close to my goal and when I hit it, I now simply have to continue to eat the same type of foods that I have come to enjoy, and only increase my portion size for each meal and BINGO. If I had continued eating 1200 cals or lower and trying to exist on lettuce, I would have had a big jump to maintenance calories and know that I would have used unhealthy foods to fill it.

I am very confident that mine is a definite life change for the better. I shall also be still hanging around on MFP due to the fantastic friends I have found here.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I still have a day or a few days of track here and there, but i feel bloated, dont enjoy it as much because i know it's bad for me, i feel tired, lethargic and can't wait to get back to healthy eating. I've got where i enjoy a big juicy steak more more than a pizza. Your taste definitely changes. Doesn't mean i don't hanker after certain things now and then, but i almost always dont really enjoy them like i think i will. I've definitely changed a lot, a enjoy exercise now because it makes me feel good psychologically and physically...this coming from someone who was virtually bed bound with fybromyalgia.

Life all together feels so much better, im more confident, happy, sure of my decisions, less anxious, the type 2 diabetes was reversed, high heart rate and blood pressure are now perfect, perfect cholesterol. I know i will never go back to making myself that ill and feeling that way. I also have people around me who haven't made the change and its a good reminder...

Finding good macros that kept me full and contented was important for me. Also realising i coukd have a treat if it fitted my numbers. I try to eat 80% clean, 20% treats...jelly and cream, nobbys nuts, tea and biscuits, fage wirh raspberries and dark chocolate drops are my current favourites!

It will always take some degree of work and motivation, but this hae become a lifestyle change and something i know i can stick to pretty easily.

Good luck on your journey!

Zara x
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I think they can become permanent, but you have to work at it and ensure that the changes you made become a way of life. You can't just switch off, go back to old habits, and hope things will remain the same.

Personally, even though I am at maintenance, I don't consider my journey at an end, as I have a number of fitness goals unconnected to weight loss. I continue to log, have a calorie target (albeit a huge one), and I hit the gym almost every day.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Also its impirtant to note you need to work on yourself psychlogically, if you have issues related to food or else you'll forever find yourself coming back to food. Ive put myself in therapy, and continue to try and work on whats best for me psychologically, which egfects my physical and psychological well being. I believe this is the difference between people keeping the weight off or gaining it back in most cases.

Zara x
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I don't eat 'healthy' and I've lost 5 lbs(ish) in just under 2 months. I just eat within the amounts I'm supposed to. And even when I end up logging a day or two late, I've started to realize how much my body needs to eat to stay within the losing range. It's second nature, even if some days I'm hungrier and eat more, it all balances out.

However, when you do reach your goal weight, you'll switch to maintenance, which usually provides a good 300 more calories and is easier to deal with.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    The changes can become permanent if you adapt good habits that are based around food and exercises that you enjoy. If you enjoy them, they will become sustainable and second nature.

Don't take shortcuts or go on starvation or temporary diets. Eat real food that you like and monitor that intake. Do exercises like walking that you enjoy and keep doing.

Then keep doing it ... and your changes will be healthy lifetime changes.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    "The Only Constant is Change.: :bigsmile:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    So i have read a lot into changing lifestyle, eating healthier, exercising...
    I have lost 40 lbs, but that took conscious effort. I was just wondering if the "life style" changes become permanent, and second nature...and when has this occurred for you?

I have been off the wagon for a while and I keep thinking to myself "it is just easier to just eat what I want"...I am just wondering if it gets easier eating healthy, exercising...does it take a few years? 5 years? 10? never? what do you think?

I read your post and thought immediately about a motivation/affirmation I have on my profile page - Discipline is the difference between what you want now and what you want most.

It's about discipline and being able to delay instant gratification. Both are difficult to achieve, but that quote helps me decide where my priorities are.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I lost 95 lbs and found it pretty easy to maintain for 4 years without "working hard" at it IF:

(1) Since my maintenance is ~2000 calories, I ate only 700-800 calories for breakfast and lunch during the work week, and then I wasn't a complete idiot at dinner and on the weekends. It seemed pretty natural to self regulate on a Monday, for instance, by skipping dinner or something like that to make up for a couple bigger meals over the weekend. I didn't really "work" at it. I just kinda subconsciously skipped a meal now and then.
    (2) I quit the gym during maintenance, but I stayed "active" and consciously choose activities like hiking, rustic camping or just window shopping in my spare time instead of watching TV. Especially during the summer months, I'm NEVER home. I'm always out doing something vaguely active.
    (3) I don't eat out very often (maybe twice a week at most)
    (4) I don't drink alcohol every night

But life happens. New friends, stress, etc. As soon as one of those 4 things listed above would change its trend during my maintenance phase, then I would notice a weight gain. Here's the "permanent" changes I've made to my lifestyle that "caught on" and I hardly ever revert to my old ways. I'd say it took a year for these to be "permanent":

(1) I rarely crave desserts
    (2) No full calorie soda with HFCS
    (3) No convenience store snacks with HFCS
    (4) Plenty of fruit, whole grains and lean proteins
    (5) Stay off my *kitten* as much as possible
    (6) Never park close to your destination
    (7) Take the stairs
    (8) No high calorie coffee concoctions