Cant gain muscle while at a deficit?

Options
13»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I eat at a deficit all the time. ALL the time. And I gain new muscle ALL the time. I get adequate protein to support my bodily functions as well as my muscle growth. Is it slower muscle gains than someone who is bulking? Yes. But is it gain nonetheless? Yes.

How are you measuring? What are your gains over what time frame?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle(esp for a female) you need to be eating at a surplus of calories, and lifting heavy. You can't build muscle(IE new muscle tissue) if there is no extra calories to help stimulate that growth. If your eating 1700 calories, burn off 500, your body only has 1200 calories left to make your brain/heart function, help with digestion, repair muscles etc. You can't expect it to use those calories for muscle building, when basic bodily functions are not being supported.

I don't agree with this. Way Oversimplified: To build muscle it takes 2 things - energy and protein. As long as your protein is up, it's possible to build muscle while eating a deficit and losing fat. In the food example above, your food calories are not going to provide the energy for the muscles to use the protein to repair themselves. However, your stored fat calories can provide that energy. If there's not enough caloric energy in your body to run any process, your body will go break down fat in order to obtain energy.

The point here is - you dont need to eat a surplus of calories, since you've stored surplus calories in body fat over time. This is a totally valid source of energy to run the muscle building process - just lift and add protein.

"You can't build muscle on a caloric deficit" may be true for people at or near optimal body fat percentage, but for guys like me who started at 300+ and 35% body fat well there's plenty of fat to go to for energy .. The more weight you lose, the more true "You can't build muscle on a caloric deficit" becomes.

You are essentially correct. If you have high body fat, it is possible for awhile. There is a rate of diminishing returns. This blog by Lyle McDonald explains it in some detail.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

eta: should have read all the way up. Someone already posted this.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I eat at a deficit all the time. ALL the time. And I gain new muscle ALL the time. I get adequate protein to support my bodily functions as well as my muscle growth. Is it slower muscle gains than someone who is bulking? Yes. But is it gain nonetheless? Yes.

Yes, that would be my question also.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle(esp for a female) you need to be eating at a surplus of calories, and lifting heavy. You can't build muscle(IE new muscle tissue) if there is no extra calories to help stimulate that growth. If your eating 1700 calories, burn off 500, your body only has 1200 calories left to make your brain/heart function, help with digestion, repair muscles etc. You can't expect it to use those calories for muscle building, when basic bodily functions are not being supported.

I don't agree with this. Way Oversimplified: To build muscle it takes 2 things - energy and protein. As long as your protein is up, it's possible to build muscle while eating a deficit and losing fat. In the food example above, your food calories are not going to provide the energy for the muscles to use the protein to repair themselves. However, your stored fat calories can provide that energy. If there's not enough caloric energy in your body to run any process, your body will go break down fat in order to obtain energy.

The point here is - you dont need to eat a surplus of calories, since you've stored surplus calories in body fat over time. This is a totally valid source of energy to run the muscle building process - just lift and add protein.

"You can't build muscle on a caloric deficit" may be true for people at or near optimal body fat percentage, but for guys like me who started at 300+ and 35% body fat well there's plenty of fat to go to for energy .. The more weight you lose, the more true "You can't build muscle on a caloric deficit" becomes.

You are essentially correct. If you have high body fat, it is possible for awhile. There is a rate of diminishing returns. This blog by Lyle McDonald explains it in some detail.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

I've found that in order to maintain the same rate of gains and losses, I've needed to eat a little more lately. Not a lot more, but maybe 300 cal/day more than I was eating 6 months ago.
  • Razzy43
    Razzy43 Posts: 32
    Options
    I like the article that was posted and makes sense, converting calories into the right areas of the body, but only if you are stimulating the muscles to require them. To many people are concerned about weight loss, and not body composition. If you don't stimulate the body with physical activity, while being at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight (fat/muscle/water etc) but if you are stimulating your body, your body will first fix itself, using surplus calories (fat), if there are there or, using your daily calories if leaner, to repair itself.

Here is another explanation of gaining muscle while at a deficit http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

I had bodpods done so I think my numbers are fairly accurate, not sue about the above poster though.

Many people confuse harder muscle for having more muscle. Muscle will often harden with exercise even if no muscle mass was gained.
  • mmapags
    Options

I had bodpods done so I think my numbers are fairly accurate, not sue about the above poster though.

Many people confuse harder muscle for having more muscle. Muscle will often harden with exercise even if no muscle mass was gained.

Yes, that and the illusion created by creater fluid and and glycogen. The real question is: why does it matter??
    Are you stronger? Are you healthier? Do you look better? Do you have more endurance and funtionality? If yes, then what is the big deal about needing to think you are building muscle in a deficit?? It's a useless argument. As my friend DavPul likes to say :

JUST WORK OUT!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yes, that and the illusion created by creater fluid and and glycogen. The real question is: why does it matter??
    Are you stronger? Are you healthier? Do you look better? Do you have more endurance and funtionality? If yes, then what is the big deal about needing to think you are building muscle in a deficit?? It's a useless argument. As my friend DavPul likes to say :

JUST WORK OUT!!

QFT

I often get caught up in the little details, its good to remember this. Thank goodness for Dav.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Awesome question! Thanks so much! What I'm understanding is that you don't gain NEW muscle fibers, but you increase the size and strength of the muscle fibers you already have?
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

JUST WORK OUT!!

Exactly.

From my point of view I'm always interested in the science side of weight loss so that's why I read up on it and study it and maybe go to further extremes in tracking things than the average person. It's not required, may not result in better results but I find it interesting.
  • mmapags
    Options

JUST WORK OUT!!

Exactly.

From my point of view I'm always interested in the science side of weight loss so that's why I read up on it and study it and maybe go to further extremes in tracking things than the average person. It's not required, may not result in better results but I find it interesting.

Oh, I totally agree the science is interesting. It is more the folks that get thier panties in a bunch and want to insist that, at a fairly reasonable body fat level they are gaining in a deficit that I find tiresome. This whole topic has been argued on her 100s of times and it's the same every time. Yes, the science is interesting and it is not 100% cut and dry but it's probably 95%.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Awesome question! Thanks so much! What I'm understanding is that you don't gain NEW muscle fibers, but you increase the size and strength of the muscle fibers you already have?

Essetially. Google myofbrillar and sarcoplamic hypertrophy and you'll understand it a little better.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

JUST WORK OUT!!

I'm the kind of person that wants to know why the light went on, not just that it did. I'm a weirdy. lol
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    When i was on bed rest last year i lost muscle, for around 6 weeks of back to exercising i maintained weight, but lost lots of inches
    All the professionals involved said is was muscle gain after bein inactive, so it is possible if you've suddenly started exercising that your gaining muscle. Also my friend on here has gained a LOT of muscle at deficit, eating plenty of protein and lifting heavy, so not impossible! She looks incredible! I don't know the science, but it's clear looking at her that it can happen!
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been watching the Biggest Loser this season and one of the girls, Danni, had lost 95 pounds by last week but she had gained 19 pounds of muscle. They said they had never seen this before on the show and the Dr. checked the results three times. I'm no expert in this field either but I believe you can build muscle while losing fat. I see it in my own body, but I really don't have a way to quantify it on myself..........:)

There are exceptions to the rule, like people with a lot of weight to lose, however, Danni is being hotly debated. I won't derail the thread with that debate, there are several topics on it already but what she did is pretty unbelievable and some people say impossible. A lot question the methods used to measure her.

I wish they would have said how they came up with that number. The doctor only said he checked it three different ways. It would have been nice if he'd gone into it
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I've read this here over and over, but I was watching Biggest Loser this last week and one of the female contestants was told by the doctor that she had gained 19 LBS of muscle since she started. He did say that this much muscle gain was 'unheard of' and the first time he'd seen anything like that, but supposedly they tested her several different ways.

Anyway.... I know Biggest Loser is a show and you can't believe everything on there...but they've got to be on a deficit since they're still losing, and this girl lost 11 lbs that "week" on the show. I take it all with a grain of salt, but thought it was really interesting :ohwell:

Edited to add...I didn't read the earlier posts before posting, but I now see that someone else already mentioned this!!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I've been watching the Biggest Loser this season and one of the girls, Danni, had lost 95 pounds by last week but she had gained 19 pounds of muscle. They said they had never seen this before on the show and the Dr. checked the results three times. I'm no expert in this field either but I believe you can build muscle while losing fat. I see it in my own body, but I really don't have a way to quantify it on myself..........:)

There are exceptions to the rule, like people with a lot of weight to lose, however, Danni is being hotly debated. I won't derail the thread with that debate, there are several topics on it already but what she did is pretty unbelievable and some people say impossible. A lot question the methods used to measure her.

I wish they would have said how they came up with that number. The doctor only said he checked it three different ways. It would have been nice if he'd gone into it
    that show is a joke... there is NO WAY a woman will gain 19lbs of extra muscle mass in that short of time let alone a lifetime..
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Simple Math & Science:

Gaining Muscle removes calories from the system (turns calories and other "stuff" into muscle)

Fat Removal adds calories to the system - turn fat into calories (this is the important bit to note)

Eating Food adds calories to the system

Being alive removes calories from the system

Exercise removed calories from the system

Let's assume you lift weights (heavy duty, not just going through the motions) in the morning - burning 150 calories, followed by 200 calorie protein rich breakfast

You eat lunch at 1000 calories

Your BMR for the day is, say, 1500

You eat dinner - let's say 1000 calories

After dinner, you run 10 miles, burning 1000 calories

Total Adds to the system: 200 + 1000 + 1000 = 2200 calories

Total Removes: 200 + 1000 + 1500 = 2700

That leaves you with a 500 calorie deficit.

There has to be a balance, there has to be a 500 calorie add in there somewhere (Law of Conservation of Engery)*

Where does that come from? That's right, the fat removal. Assuming the deficit you end up with is within the limits of what YOUR body can convert from fat to energy in the given timeframe, you will both lose fat & gain muscle at the same time.

If you exceed that limit, you will do "dangerous things".

Everyone's body is going to do this differently, so you need to make adjustments based on the feedback your body gives you.

*added this line
  • danielleeu
    danielleeu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Found all this information very helpful...never knew you could retain water from muscles repairing themselves.
  • Kittycd1
    Kittycd1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump for later... about to leave work