Full time parents - how do you exercise?!?!

Options
12346»

Replies

• haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids who are 15 months apart in age. I am a gym workout girl and I decided to pay a little extra for a gym that had a childcare center that was high quality. It ended up being twice the cost of the gyms nearby without childcare, but I decided it was worth it so that I would actually use the membership.

Another option would be to find someone to watch your daughter for an hour or so during your workout times. I know a few people who do versions of this. One has an in-town parent (kids grandma) who works part time and watched her kids a few times a week so she can run. Another 2 friends take turns watching each others kids (playdates) so they can work out.
  • Terpripken
    Options
    I suggest the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child to get naps going again, and a set bedtime. She sounds strung out from lack of sleep. Also, does she sleep in a crib or do you have a playpen you can set up, or strap her into the high chair for half an hour. She can play, colour, have a snack, or sit and whine for that time, but she will be confined to watching you without jumping on top of you. Better yet, quiet time in the afternoon, whether she sleeps or not. You can put her in the crib with some music on and a few board books. A half an hour quiet time is not unreasonable.

Best advice in this thread. Parents should be controlling their children, not the other way around. I'm astounded at the people in this thread who think it's perfectly acceptable for a child to not be able to occupy himself for a half hour.

Read the book referenced here, you'll be able to work out and also have the benefit of not having your kids turn out to be codependent brats.

Please don't be so judgmental while agreeing with me. Moms need help and encouragement, not condemnation from others. Trust me, we tear ourselves apart enough, second guess every decision and are riddled with guilt and feel the weighty responsibility we have to turn out responsible, caring, contributing members of society. What we don't get enough of is basic compassion and understanding. :flowerforyou:

Parents get plenty of encouragement, to the point where people coddle them and reinforce their notion that the world revolves around them and they are the busiest people in the world because they have a child under 12.

If someone came on here and said they don't have time to exercise because they're on call for their job 24 hours a day they'd get reamed for being lazy and not making the time. If it's a kid that requires attention it's no different. Set your priorities and make time for what's important.

If someone's kids are controlling their lives to the point where they cannot do a 20-30 minute task they're bad parents, plain and simple.

How's the view up there in your ivory tower?
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    I have my daughter 5 days a week and I struggle to find time on those days to exercise.

My little one is full on, she wakes up before me and usually falls asleep after me. If I exercise during the day, I have to take a shower which usually involves her trying to get in with me and gets soaked. It's not a fun experience. She doesn't have an afternoon nap either.

Any ideas please?! I miss exercising and long for the days when she used to sit still lol. She's two in June, I've tried to include her in my exercises but she thinks they're hysterical and usually jumps on me or lies in front of me lol. She's adorable as heck but I really wanna get back to my exercises!!

eep, your daughter might be going to bed too late which is why she's waking very early! but you didn't come here to ask that question.
    so to answer your question, i wake up at 445am every morning to workout for 5am, shower at 615/630am and then head off to work. regardless if it's my turn to drop my kid off at school, i still get up at 445am to workout.

you could do the same... in fact, it's probably your only option; either that or get her to bed earlier so you can workout.
  • Toomanytwinkies
    Toomanytwinkies Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When my kids were younger I took them to childcare at the gym. They liked it there and it was a much needed break for me. I paid for an hour and a half Mon-Fri. That way I could exercise for an hour and then had extra time to change and do my makeup and hair. Made me feel better for the rest of the day.
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i have 2 boys and run when they're in bed, and go to the gym on my lunch hour at work.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Mine are a bit older, it would have been difficult at 3. They go to school, which helps, otherwise I do it in the evening after they go to bed (I just use DVDs really).

But yeah at 3 if she doesn't nap she should sleep 13 or 14 hours a night, which should leave you plenty of time to workout.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have two 8 year old boys, one who is special needs and a 12 year old girl. I have tried the gym, closest one is 20 miles away from where I live. So for me I have started working out home. I carve out an hour when I first get home while they play outside and that seems to work. Also the rule is unless you are bleeding or dieing leave me alone. that seems to work at least half time!!
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    I guess I would say to try to broaden your definition of exercise. If you can, try to get outside with her and get moving --- take a walk, go to the park and run around (you can chase her --- my almost 2 year old used to love that), or dance together. Or maybe try to find another mom and switch off your kids --- go to one person's house/apartment, and one of you watches both kids while the other works out, and then vice versa. If you have the resources and will, you could try joining the Y or some other gym and make use of their child care --- many places have somewhere that you can drop your child off for an hour while you work out (and, bonus, shower alone!!) But I know that may not be possible financially.

This! Do follow the leader. She'll love to lead, play with mommy and you end up getting down on your bum, up, leap, jump, crawl etc. in general, not maybe excercise, but you can really raise your calorie consumption by simply moving with her rather than just watching her.

I also support the push in a stroller and join a kid friendly gym ideas. The former is tough with 3 that I have, but for example today, I will help coach soccer. Have I played soccer before? Never! But I get moving and get to spend time with them. We still do the follow the leader :)
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Join a gym with a daycare. That's what I had to do. My daughter is 2 and her naps are becoming shorter and shorter, and I really HATED my workouts getting interrupted. Now we go almost every morning, she loves playing with her friends at the gym and I get "me" time... a short workout with NO interruptions!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I have 4 children and my oldest is 5. My wife and I take turns running. I run 4 days a week, she runs 3. I do strength training at home, usually in the yard because they'd be all over me if I was on the floor inside.
  • julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    dear person mad at parents asking for ideas - stop it! that's silly! people constantly post about having trouble finding time to work out as parents/teenagers/workers/students/ballerinas. no one is coddling a parent. lots of people struggle to find a balance, and when you actually have a little person that means you can't just bust out to a gym, it takes a different approach.

sigh.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I definitely second the book recommendation - Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Super. Excellent. If you can encourage more sleep your little one will likely be more chilled and you'll get more time to work out.
  • jkremer1979
    Options
    you said she wakes up before you and falls asleep after you. How old is your daughter? I have a 2.5 and 4 year old. They are required to take a nap everyday. Somedays they just don't want to... but they still have to spend at least 2 hours in their room every afternoon for quite time. I also have a very strict bedtime for them.

There are many mothers I have met who hope that if they let their kids stay up longer, then they will sleep longer.... but it's not true. All it does is make kids cranky and more apt to not go to sleep, while throwing a fit and driving you up the wall. You can't control when they wake up, but you can control when they take naps and when they have bedtime. When they get old, you can have them work out with you... if you have a backyard or park nearby... play tag with them (by the way... you will always need to be "it"). The running around will give you excercise and will tire the kiddos out so that they sleep really well.
  • DiannaDC
    DiannaDC Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I take her to the daycare at the YMCA that I work out at and I also stick her in the jogging stroller and run the local golf course. With my son on spring break I will just make him ride his bike around the golf course with me and he's still young enough to go to the YMCA day care.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I have 5 kids 8 and under. Granted I have a husband who works first and I work full time thirds.. so I can workout at night, I put the baby in the bedroom with him, and the rest play in their rooms, or sometimes they try to do insanity too. HA, I just try to make them stay out of my way. If I had a stressful day I will make them stay in their rooms and play.. if I NEED that me time.

When I wasn't working thirds and slept while the older ones were in school I would go to the YMCA and they had Child watch there and I could work out for 2 hours a day for 4 dollars (the fee for the child watch) That worked out well for me too.