Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone else hate being called "Sir"?

124»

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I don't mind it... what else is someone that doesn't know me on a personal level supposed to call me?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    My inner-Drill-Sargeant thinks it is not only a good idea that you do, but you'll drop and give me 20 if you don't.

Yes Ma'am - Sir - wait ma'am - no - Yes Sir.
    Having a Radar O'Reilly moment?
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    You must not live in the south.

When I was a young teen I got "Miss + First name" all the time from the kids I baby sat. I get Miss a lot now too, even though I'm late twenties and married, but generally from strangers. Those who notice the ring use Ma'am.

I use Sir and Ma'am when I'm on the phone with a stranger and sometimes in person as well, mostly with strangers, assuming the other person looks older than mid-teens.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Although I am not a man and do not care for being mistaken for one when people see me (which I don't understand anyway because I have RILLY BIG BOOBS), if you ARE going to mistake me for a man (in retrospect, this usually happens from behind), it's nice if you call me Sir. But I'm 37 and I DEMANDS RESPEKT.
    When they realize their mistake, do they say, "I'm sorry. I have a cold," as an explanation?
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Sir, Master, or dignifying title works for me.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Although I am not a man and do not care for being mistaken for one when people see me (which I don't understand anyway because I have RILLY BIG BOOBS), if you ARE going to mistake me for a man (in retrospect, this usually happens from behind), it's nice if you call me Sir. But I'm 37 and I DEMANDS RESPEKT.
    When they realize their mistake, do they say, "I'm sorry. I have a cold," as an explanation?
    Sir, are you suggesting that women give off a particular odor?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    You can take it as you will, but, at least for my generation, and the way I was brought up it is intended as a term of respect. I use Sir and Ma'am often. It is the way I was brought up. At home and in the Marine Corps. I start every relationship by giving the other person the benefit of the doubt.

If you want my disrespect, you have to earn it. You won;t like it, though.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    You can take it as you will, but, at least for my generation, and the way I was brought up it is intended as a term of respect. I use Sir and Ma'am often. It is the way I was brought up. At home and in the Marine Corps. I start every relationship by giving the other person the benefit of the doubt.

If you want my disrespect, you have to earn it. You won;t like it, though.

Change Marine Corps to Navy and this is exactly my response.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    It's ok in bed but otherwise no.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    I call all my men Sir. Respectfully, with my head down and assuming the correct position. :blushing:

Are you trying to bait me into making an inappropriate comment?
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    I do not like to be called Sir. I realize that it's intended to be respectful but I like to complain when people respect me. I'm only 29 years old, I don't need to be respected or be called terms out of respect. You can call me "yo" or "wassup fat daddio"

Any other men feel the same way?

Sorry Sir. *bows*
    It won't happen again, Sir. *backs up two feet and bows again*
    *backs up further and finally retreats*

...Seriously though, is this post srs? If someone calls me "ma'am" I don't get offended, and I'm only 25. Actually, it bothered me more when I worked in grocery stores and people didn't think I was old enough to sell them alcohol, and would give me funny looks when I DIDN'T have to call over a manager. :tongue: Calling a strange man "sir" is my way of showing respect, and if you refuse to accept that, that's your problem!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    We teach our 4 year old daughter to call us and others "Sir" and "Ma'am" ...I think kids lose respect these days...its the polite and right way to address someone.

There you go. The clerk at the check out last night commended me after I told my 3 (almost 4) year old to answer her with "Yes Ma'am". I just shrugged and told her I thought that's how it ought to be. (I will say that I called her, "Miss" instead of "Ma'am" because she looked younger than me.)
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    I only want to be called "Sir" if I'm wearing the Peppermint Patty costume that I don't actually have and the person addressing me as such is wearing a Marcie costume.

...I just realized that this could be interpreted as way more naughty than I initially intended it to sound (which is not at all), but we'll just go with it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Sir, are you suggesting that women give off a particular odor?
    No, I'm suggesting that coconuts migrate.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xoh8j_monty-python-dead-parrot-sketch_news#.UUNb7RysiSo
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    I figured it was something like that :) Sorry, despite the best efforts of... approximately every person I've ever met, I've never been able to get into Monty Python. I can only assume it's some kind of mutation I have. :(
  • I like men that can make me call them Sir.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Depends on the situation and the person...