So, are carbs evil or not?

Options
I'm sure this has been asked time and time again, but I'm always hearing contradicting stories from people. Some who swear that cutting carbs helped them lose a lot of weight, and others who say that it doesn't really matter in the end (basically that calories are calories). Right now I'm trying to just count calories, and watch how many carbs I take in.

Replies

• Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    They are not bad, as long as you stick to your calories you will be fine. On another note, its best to keep carbs to 40% of your diet though, otherwise, too much will be digested and stored as sugars ie. fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been asked time and time again, but I'm always hearing contradicting stories from people. Some who swear that cutting carbs helped them lose a lot of weight, and others who say that it doesn't really matter in the end (basically that calories are calories). Right now I'm trying to just count calories, and watch how many carbs I take in.

Unless you have a medical reason to do so, carbs aren't evil
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    No.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Evil? Of course not. They're a macronutrient. No need to personify them.

How about harmful? Nope, they're not harmful either.

How about slightly harmful? Nope.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    they have my :heart:
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    you will get a lot of mixed responses here too.

For me, it all comes down to portions. If you belly up to the table and eat a huge pile of pasta along with three or more hunks of garlic bread, you probably aren't doing yourself any favors.

From everything I've observed here recently and going backwards ten years to when Atkins really hit mainstream (well, thats when I did it at least), what i've learned is that if your go "low" on one thing, the other is going to be higher.. so, low carb means you'll be doing a higher fat diet.

It seems modern times have shown that a balance of fat/carbs/protein, and staying within YOUR appropriate calorie range, is the most successful and sustainable. I say sustainable because really this approach allows you to eat all the things you like, you just need to be conscience about how much of it you are stuffing in your face. If you eat something yummy and are still hungry, you need to have the brain power to fill up on the good stuff like carrots or whatever.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    No.
    :angry:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    no food is evil. Eating carbs won't make you overweight, eating in excess will. Unless you have an allergy or intolerance, there is no reason to cut out a major food group.

Don't start eating in a way that you can't keep up for the rest of your life.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    No.

CGT3Bq5.gif
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Not at all. As long as your diet doesn't consist primarily of them, they're awesome.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Unless you have a medical reason to do so, carbs aren't evil

This x1000 :drinker:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Most of the things on my 'favorites' list involve carbs.

No - they are not evil.
  • Frioniel
    Frioniel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys. Basically I've really only cut out bread and pasta, and other really starchy/sugary things. It hasn't really bothered me any since like the first week or so, and I've been eating like that for around 5 weeks now. So I might as well keep it up?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs can make the number on the scale go down due to water weight. It isn't fat loss. Stay within your calories, eat at least 1 gram protein per lb of lean body mass (find out how much you have here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/ ) and eat at least .35 gm fat per lb lean body mass, and let the carbs fall where they may.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    No.

CGT3Bq5.gif
    lilolikeoooh.gif
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Carbs are evil if you have a problem with high blood sugar. If you don't, they're probably just calories.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs helps people lose weight because (if) they've cut calories. That's it.

I personally try to limit starchy and grainy carbs to that end, but I don't cut them out completely because, you know, pasta, fresh bread, and quesadillas.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys. Basically I've really only cut out bread and pasta, and other really starchy/sugary things. It hasn't really bothered me any since like the first week or so, and I've been eating like that for around 5 weeks now. So I might as well keep it up?

If bread and pasta and starchy things don't appeal to you, you don't have to eat them.
    You don't have to eat anything that you don't want to. Nor do you have to cut out anything that you enjoy.
    The goal is health and fitness, right? Not deprivation.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Carbz killed my father.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

it won't hurt you any to cut out bread and pasta. But don't torture yourself if you LOOOOOOVE these things - just reduce the quantity.