• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Carbz killed my father.

That rumour was never substantiated.
  • Frioniel
    Frioniel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys. Basically I've really only cut out bread and pasta, and other really starchy/sugary things. It hasn't really bothered me any since like the first week or so, and I've been eating like that for around 5 weeks now. So I might as well keep it up?

it won't hurt you any to cut out bread and pasta. But don't torture yourself if you LOOOOOOVE these things - just reduce the quantity.

Yea, I do splurge once in a while on them, but I've noticed that if I eat them less I crave them less. So I figure its a win win.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If the person kicking your *kitten* in the gym is fueled by carbs, I can see how you might perceive them as evil.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    My thought on the "I cut carbs and dropped 30 pounds" thing is that the people who go balls to the wall "low/no carb" are probably the ones who were stuffing themselves with enriched pasta, bread and chips. Of course you're going to drop tons of weight if you stop stuffing yourself with garbage.

If you know which carbs are the best for maintaining a healthy diet (red/sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc.) and keep them in moderation then no, they aren't "evil".

I get around equal amounts of protein and carbs each day... I'm not dead (or obese). I educated myself on which carbs are the best in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle.
  • diabloben68
    Options
    Carbs are what made mankind! Without carbs your brain can not function. People that cut out carbs to lose weight usually end up failing.

On a side note, carbs kill kittens.

you decide!
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    I am evil and I eat carbs! Causation or correlation?
  • dhldc85
    dhldc85 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No, carbs are not evil. Carbs have always been a part of my diet. I am 5'6" female and currently weigh 145 pounds. My goal weight is 135. My starting weight was 150. I have included only whole wheat carbs in my diet and have been losing weight at the same speed that my fitness pal tells me I will. About a pound per week. Whenever I see the "if every day were like this one, you will weigh ..... in 5 weeks" it sometimes scares me. But so far, it has been right on the money and that is with a diet that includes healthy carbs. Hope this helps.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am evil and I eat carbs! Causation or correlation?

Maybe carbs were nice people until you came along and corrupted them!
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Carbz killed my father.

Only your father? They murdered my husband and stole my dog. It was quite bittersweet.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    No, they're not.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Macros are very important for a bodybuilder trying to go from 8% BF to 2%. I just focus on calories for the most part.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Since your brain runs on carbs, I would say they aren't evil.

Refined carbs and sugar you should limit. They are just like any macro nutrient. Try not to eat too much or too little. Balance is everything.

Everyone responds differently to carbs. My body, for example, when I eat a large amount of carbs in a sitting I get sleepy, irritable, my heart races, and I feel bloated. Other people claim that meat does this to them. Everyone is different.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    There not evil but watch them to be honest I was told there not evil an I don't eat bread don't eat pasta haha you will be aware of what you eat stick to your Marcos an ull be fine you need carbs though x
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, but carbs....well it depends on the kind you are talking about. Carbs from vegetables, fruits, whole grains and dairy products are all great carbs and generally used very efficiently by your body, for fuel. Carbs from white flour/breads and sugar/sweets, are generally the "evil" carbs (as you call them...but so do I) if you overendulge and don't have them in moderation or you don't work out at the intensity of an athlete. Of course, too much of anything can be problematic, too. So, the rule of thumb is to basically watch your calorie intake and burn, and enjoy everything in moderation to create a healthy balance. Life's to short, but you want to be healthy so you can live it!

Oh....I'm down 63 pounds so far, based on the theory above. Looks like you're on the right track for you, too!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the gym, and am going to do my part to help rid the world of evil. So which do you think is more diabolical, a Pumpkin Pie Pop-Tart or a Gingerbread Pop-Tart?

Oh, yes. One of those masterminds of evil is going down!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not evil. You need them for energy.

BUT. The reason some people have a strong knee jerk reaction to them one way or the other is that the refined ones can cause blood sugar spikes and crashes that leave you craving more calories than you should be having, which in turn, can make you gain weight.

Figure out which carbs work for you and keep you within your macros/calories and then eat and enjoy them. :)

I am gluten free, but still eat the heck out of some noodles and breads and potatoes, while losing weight and being healthy. I started avoiding PROCESSED carbs/refined sugars and my blood sugar levels evened out and made eating other carbs without having cravings possible.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    no, they are your fuel.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    My thought on the "I cut carbs and dropped 30 pounds" thing is that the people who go balls to the wall "low/no carb" are probably the ones who were stuffing themselves with enriched pasta, bread and chips. Of course you're going to drop tons of weight if you stop stuffing yourself with garbage.

If you know which carbs are the best for maintaining a healthy diet (red/sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc.) and keep them in moderation then no, they aren't "evil".

I get around equal amounts of protein and carbs each day... I'm not dead (or obese). I educated myself on which carbs are the best in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle.
    Brown rice is one of the worst health food myths ever. White rice is healthier, in general.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Brown rice is one of the worst health food myths ever. White rice is healthier, in general.

I'm curious about this, why is it healthier? I thought brown rice is just like regular rice, plus fiber.