6 pounds up this week. HELP!

Options

Replies

• nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you are set for quite a number of calories. Have you ever figured out how many calories you "should" be eating? There is a great calorie deficit calculator you can use. It takes into account your gender, age, weight, height and lifestyle and tells you how many calories you need to live and even figures out how much of a deficit you should be eating to lose weight (15-30% deficit). Here's the website: http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/caloriedeficitcalculator.php

Since I don't have any of that information, I'll give you an example of what it will tell you:

Woman
    Current weight 200 lbs
    Height 5 ft 6 in
    Age 30
    Level of Activity - Sedentary

To survive, this woman would need to consume 2024 calories.
    To lose weight, she would eat between 1470 (30% deficit) to 1720 (15% deficit) calories.

You may want to plug in your information. Maybe you are consuming too many calories; especially if you are not exercising.
  • colleenrobertson
    colleenrobertson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you on your period or pre mentral? ...sometimes that can do it..
  • colleenrobertson
    colleenrobertson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OH...sorry...you are on your period....I SAY...don't weigh yourself during that time......you are bound to have extra water..but it will go away. I am experiencing the same thing..
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Period weight gain. AND............

I browsed at your diary and it's full of sugary treats, fatty foods and whole milk........there's lot's of room for improvement.

This is not constructive. Why is everyone so mean on MFP. I would report you but the donuts are calling me.

It is very constructive. You asked for help and got it. If there's improvements to be made, someone will point it out, just as you asked. Maybe it's not what you want to hear, but how you choose to react to the response is your choice.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    First, calm down. You might not have known this, but eating veggies during you TOM can make you retain extra water because fruit and veggies are mostly water. So during the week before and week of your TOM, you should avoid veggies and eat extra carbs and foods high in sodium to dry you out. Also, avoid showering so you don't get water logged.

Second, I am sorry about your panties. Soak them in cold water -- but make sure you wear gloves so you don't actually touch the water.

Good luck and just stick with it.

not sure if serious....

sodium makes you hold on to water. avoid sodium and drink lots and lots of water. and really, avoid showering? i need to shower MORE during my TOM. GROSS.

Lots of baby powder and perfume.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    First, calm down. You might not have known this, but eating veggies during you TOM can make you retain extra water because fruit and veggies are mostly water. So during the week before and week of your TOM, you should avoid veggies and eat extra carbs and foods high in sodium to dry you out. Also, avoid showering so you don't get water logged.

Second, I am sorry about your panties. Soak them in cold water -- but make sure you wear gloves so you don't actually touch the water.

not sure if serious....

sodium makes you hold on to water. avoid sodium and drink lots and lots of water. and really, avoid showering? i need to shower MORE during my TOM. GROSS.

i still cant tell if you are serious. troll post is trolling.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

not sure if serious....

This post has Troll all over it!!
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you are on MFP and ready to lose weight. I think until you start getting in the groove it takes some adjusting to find what your calorie goal should be. Maybe you are over your calorie goal, or not accounting for calories that are really there.

I also noticed that you do eat out a lot (nothing wrong with that). Often, restaurants mark down (or mark up) their nutritional facts so if you do eat out, I would assume that you are eating 20-30% more calories than it states in the nutritional information or various entries on MFP. If you have a buffer of 20-30%, it is accounting for any misguiding information given and playing it safe. Also, if you know you are eating out ahead of time, try to get a quick snack in instead of not eating all day. It will make you less hungry and then you might not indulge as much at dinner (that's from personal experience).

I also noticed you had Walmart-2 cupcakes on one of your diary entries, but most of your food items come from Tesco, so I believe you are from the UK? This makes me think that you are trying to find a data entry close to what you ate, but it's always better to try and get that information from where it really comes from as stats vary from item to item all over the world. When in doubt, I just avoid the cupcakes. Some are laden with ingredients I might not know about. Have you thought about making your own and controlling the ingredients?

Lastly, do you have a food scale? When people told me it was their number one tool I did not believe them but food scales have made my calorie counting so much more accurate. I feel so much more confident in all my diary entries because I know I am measuring everything accurately, down to added spices. Tablespoons and teaspoons, bagh. Now I just zero my scale and pour my ingredients into a container to get what they really weigh in grams/ounces. It really does make a difference, especially when you usually use heaping tablespoons and could be going way over in grammage.

As for the undies, go get yourself a beautiful new pair!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

not sure if serious....

This post has Troll all over it!!

I don't understand what this means?
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Love to see the science behind this post...for now I'll just say...wow.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options

I don't understand what this means?

It means that everything you stated was completely opposite of the truth, so know you are either severely misinformed, or making a joke.
  • luckyjuls
    Options
    edited.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Some people just don't get enough attention in their real lives...
    The lady was asking for real advice and you decide it's a platform for your new comedy act. Har har. You're so funny.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lisabundy5
    Options
    Review your food diary.

Apples, with skin C
    Artichokes (no sauce) PC
    Amaranth PC
    Arugula C
    Asparagus C
    Barley C
    Beans PCF
    Beets C
    Blueberries C
    Bok choy C
    Boysenberries C
    Bran C
    Broccoli PC
    Broccoli sprouts PC
    Brussels sprouts PC
    Cabbage C
    Carrots C
    Cauliflower C
    Celery C
    Chard PC
    Chickpeas PC
    Cherries C
    Citrus fruits C
    Collard greens PC
    Cottage cheese (nonfat) P
    Cucumbers C
    Egg whites
    Endive C
    Fish (broiled, steamed, grilled) PF
    Flaxseed F
    Garlic (fresh) C
    Grapefruit C
    Grapes C
    Hempseed F
    Herbs
    Kale PFC
    Ketchup (homemade, no sugar) C
    Kiwifruit C
    Lentils PFC
    Lettuce (romaine, green or red leaf) C
    Melon honeydew C
    Milk (nonfat) PC
    Mushrooms C
    Mustard C
    Natto PFC
    Nectarines C
    Onions C
    Papayas C
    Peaches C
    Pears C
    Peas P

Peppers C
    Pineapple C
    Plums C
    Prunes C
    Quinoa PC
    Radishes C
    Raspberries C
    Refried beans (nonfat) PC
    Rice (whole-grain) C
    Salsa (natural, no sugar or oil) C
    Spelt PC
    Shakeology CP
    Spinach PC
    Squash C
    Strawberries C
    String beans PC
    Sweet potatoes C
    Tea (green or black, no sugar)
    Tomato sauce (no sugar) C
    Tomatoes C
    Vinegar
    Water
    Yams C
    Yogurt (nonfat, no sugar) PC
    Zucchini C

Try eating foods from this list, ONLY. Yes, it's that time of the month, but.........When you exercise you first burn carbs, then fat. Not sure your height or weight but I would say keep your calories to less than 1400 a day. Sodium is crucial too. It makes you retain water, besides it's not good for the heart. A normal adult with NO heart issue with themselves or in the family should be no more than 2500 mg a day, and if there are ANY heart issue and children should be 1300 or less a day. Making better selections and exercising longer will help.
  • luckyjuls
    Options
    Normally I find you really clever (I've seen you in other posts like the controlling husband/hair tie one) but it really bugs me when someone asks for legit advice and another starts making jokes for no reason. I think there is a time and place and I don't think this is the place. I think it's kind of a bully tactic and I know you don't mean it that way but there's no real reason to do it in this particular thread. You might not have ever felt made fun of, but OP might.
  • kabel4892
    kabel4892 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    T-t-t-t-trollllll!
  • allknowingtomato
    allknowingtomato Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. i can see many days when you are eating little/no fruits veggies, and most of your foods are processed. so in the short term, i would say that you are retaining water due to TOM and sodium intake. processed foods have tons of sodium.

It is certainly possible to lose weight eating chocolate and pizza every day. it is just MUCH MUCH MUCH harder to do for most people than eating a diet with more fruits/veggies/lean protein/whole foods. Many of the foods in your diary are calorie-dense foods, so a little miscalculation can put a lot of extra cals in you quickly. As others have mentioned, calorie labels can be off by quite a bit, so it's a good idea to be skeptical of takeaway/processed foods.

Are you putting EVERYTHING you eat in your diary? or are you hit-and-miss with your tracking? this is also super-important. I struggle with this myself (eat a bad thing and then not tracking out of shame, or knowing i likely went over my cals and not bothering to track so i don't see what i've done). your body will reflect what you do (it is a FLAWLESS tracker lol), so might as well put it in MFP and get the data.

i don't know your life/schedule, so i don't know why you are relying on so many processed/packaged foods. I think you should try to answer that question for yourself, and really challenge your habits. Are you SO busy that you need to eat that way? or are you reluctant to give up the taste and indulgence of eating chocolate and pizza?

If it's too little time, you have no excuse for the lack of veg and hand fruit in your diary ( I'm American, but i know Tesco sells apples and a veg salads and chicken!) If it is out of habit or the urge to eat a lot of delicious food, then you have no excuse for not making healthier versions of the stuff you've been eating. I see some veg in there (3/12 you got some good veg), but something is going on with your eating routine that is setting you up to eat 8 cookies, or a whole pizza, or whatever. For me, that's stuff is the result of eating empty calories earlier in the day, and not having a plan for dealing with temptation.

My personal suggestions to you would be:

1. Make sure you are tracking flawlessly. read labels, measure your food (with a scale if at all possible), and really capture what your intake is.

2. make a list of fruits, veggies, and lean, low-carb protein sources (frijj and whole milk belong in the "treats" section and not the protein section of your diary, hon!) and ACTUALLY SCHEDULE when you will eat those foods. If you are not hungry when the time comes to eat, don't eat, but don't eat anything else until you're hungry, then turn to the food you planned. if you are waiting all day to eat to "save" calories, then you are setting yourself up to eat an entire pizza (which, for some people, works. but so far, not for you!). I am better able to eat healthy foods if i don't let myself get too hungry.

3. on the flip side, do not eat just because it is lunch time/dinner time/ you see a tasty food. (i'm not saying you do, but hear me out). I had a real problem with indulgent food choices until i planned to eat better and then GOT HUNGRY and then ate the food i planned to eat. The snacks in the break room were more appetizing than my open-faced sandwich when i first saw them, but once i was truly hungry, my sandwich hit the spot and fueled me much better than cookies would have. practice getting hungry, then practice eating healthy food when you are hungry.

4. water water water water water. you say you're tracking, so I assume you're drinking NONE because that's what your diary says.

5. Be realistic about your expenditures. i try to only eat back half of my exercise calories, because often the calculations are too generous. I think it is good practice to track while giving yourself 2,500 calories/day, but you may not be burning that many if you are sedentary and don't have much muscle mass (even if you are at a higher weight). if you track perfectly and keep under your cal goals for 2 weeks and don't see any change/correction, then i would cut your cals to 2200 and see what happens.

6. don't weigh yourself every day, if you can't handle the fluctuations. this is especially important leading up to TOM. I wouldn't bother weighing myself starting 3 days before TOM until i'm almost done with my period. i can put on up to 8lbs in water retention during that time, which would emotionally devastate me. now, i weigh myself most days, but only take note of my weight for MFP purposes every 2 weeks. once right after my period ends, and once 2 weeks after that.

good luck! feel free to add me if you want.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I've been eating good. Loadsa veggies and fruit. Exercising every day for at least 30 mins. But on the scales this morning I am up 6lbs!!!!

And to make matters worse, I got my period this afternoon. I had no tampons so now my favourite panties are ruined.

What can I do?

Just break up.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I am always up eight pounds when i have my period. A week before i get it, i am up five pounds......
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't get enough attention in their real lives...
    The lady was asking for real advice and you decide it's a platform for your new comedy act. Har har. You're so funny.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I didn't see the reply you are quoting, but has anyone pointed out the OP has a *****? I decided to let the fun continue.