13»

Replies

• anumberger
    Options
    good for the body? maybe..

Good for the soul? not so much..
  • EatYourVeg
    Options
    It's an interesting perspective to the necessity of eating.
    But we're humans and from an evolutionary reference; we absolutely love eating! Who knows, maybe this is the future haha!

Regardless of statistics, benefits or requirements;
    We don't just eat because we have to; we enjoy it. If we were like any other species we would eat that **** any time of the week because it would be scripted into our DNA; "CAN I EAT? YES. HELP ME LIVE? YES"
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Human body is incredibly complex. We only understand a fraction of it. They are discovering new and new things, including things previously unknown about absorption and interaction of different nutrients. It is pretty arrogant of this idiot to think that he has figured out everything and can replace natural way that our bodies adapted to over countless generations and that there is no long term consequences for doing so.

I didn't see where he claimed to have figured it all out or that his formula was perfect for everyone. In fact he is still experimenting and testing it on willing volunteers. He is also concerned about long term consequences and knows only time can tell the answer to that.

Personally, I find the idea remarkable and would be happy to be relieved of the shopping, cooking, and cleaning up involved in feeding myself. Not to say a meal of real food now and then would be unwelcome. Perhaps it would be all the more enjoyable.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    as interesting as this is.. I really love steak...
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I wonder more about the phychological effects. I believe that it is theroetically possible to not eat solid food. I think you could be reasonably healthy doing it if you did it right. However, I think mentally, it would be very difficult. Easy at first, more dificult as time went on.

Definitely. There's social aspects to eating as well. It's where families (and communities) can bond, deals are made over lunches, etc. Food and eating are one of the things that helps keep society glued together.

Another potential issue I see with this is: Getting these minerals in raw form requires some serious mining and/or processing. What's the environmental impact of having to mine all the say .. iron we eat instead of getting it out of the foods we eat. This could make engineered nutrition as a world hunger solution less um .. palatable ... to me.
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Is it necessary for me to eat food to live? Probably not
    Is it necessary for those around me to live? Definitely

yeah!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    as interesting as this is.. I really love steak...

This, too.

and I mean, LOVE.
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes. Because if I couldn't eat, I would probably lose my will to live.

Isn't this exactly why most on here are using this site? We are suffering because we live to eat rather than eat to live!

I for one would give up my sense of taste if it meant hunger and obesity was banished from the world
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Isn't this exactly why most on here are using this site? We are suffering because we live to eat rather than eat to live!

I for one would give up my sense of taste if it meant hunger and obesity was banished from the world

Wow....people are here for plenty of reasons. This is My FITNESS Pal, not My Weight Loss Pal.

And who said anything about banishing hunger and obesity?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No

Identity theif!!!!!!!!
    :angry:

:laugh:
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the mailing list - sounds interesting
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wonder more about the phychological effects. I believe that it is theroetically possible to not eat solid food. I think you could be reasonably healthy doing it if you did it right. However, I think mentally, it would be very difficult. Easy at first, more dificult as time went on.

You can learn a lot about the phychology of it here: http://apfed.org/drupal/drupal/adults_living_with_EGIDs

Of course, these people are forced to do it, rather than just doing it because they want.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    e9aa_soylent_green_crackers_zpsa8aadaeb.jpg

Does this qualify?
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like his idea of using his soylent for possibly helping to solve world hunger. He did say, if you read the whole article that he is still experimenting and is very open to meaningful criticism, and that he thinks it should be supplemented with real healthy food. Interested to see if this goes anywhere.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    That made for an interesting read. And that is all I am going to say.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It's not why I'm here. I don't live to eat, but I do love to eat. But that's not why I'm here either. But, then I'm not suffering either. So, I guess you aren't talking about me.

Never mind.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Dude, I came here to get HEALTHY. Part of that was learning a HEALTHY relationship with food. Losing weight is the side-effect of getting healthy. Don't make assumptions for me.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you have to eat ice cream.

AND pizza...

Yup. Pizza too. I survived four years eating almost nothing but pizza. That'd be: college.