Wonder why you can't lose weight??

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I would say that, if you are looking for an obesity-inducing villain, I would look in the direction of sugar.

Mr Lustig, I presume?

Uh--no. There's a lot of research going on in the area of "food addiction" right now, and sugar is singled out as the number one instigator of overeating. Here is a link to the website for "The Food Addiction Summit" held a few years ago. The list of presenters is fairly impressive: http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

And that's DR. Lustig to you. Just because you are getting your Ph.D. does not entitle you to look down your nose at anyone. I am married to a Ph.D in physical chemistry. I can assure you that he puts his pants on, one leg at a time.
  • rebitanormaleata
    Options
    Processed food has added everything right? So why do we make it more complicated than it needs to be saying "avoid added fat, sugar, MSG, etc."? I have PCOS and have read so many books, I still struggle. But there is some very basic overlap among them all. Make your own food as much as possible.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I would say that, if you are looking for an obesity-inducing villain, I would look in the direction of sugar.

Mr Lustig, I presume?

Uh--no. There's a lot of research going on in the area of "food addiction" right now, and sugar is singled out as the number one instigator of overeating. Here is a link to the website for "The Food Addiction Summit" held a few years ago. The list of presenters is fairly impressive: http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

And that's DR. Lustig to you. Just because you are getting your Ph.D. does not entitle you to look down your nose at anyone. I am married to a Ph.D in physical chemistry. I can assure you that he puts his pants on, one leg at a time.

Sugar. MSG or whatever may trigger overeating, but have a little f'ing willpower and discipline will stop you from overeating. Sugar made me kick my grandma :mad:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I would say that, if you are looking for an obesity-inducing villain, I would look in the direction of sugar. The Chinese have always eaten a LOT of MSG but they are just starting to experience a rapidly rising rate of obesity which tracks with a rapidly rising level of sugar consumption.
    There are too many confounding factors to deduce that. Perhaps it's just the rising level of consumption.
    Or cars...

That too. But sugar consumption (along with simple carbs) is still the the current hot topic in obesity research these days. http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm From my own experience, once I got sugar and wheat out of my diet, lots of good things started to happen. My weight began dropping, but even before that, my blood pressure started normalizing almost immediately (and I was previously on two B.P. meds). My blood sugar numbers and triglycerides are back in the normal range and my LDL cholesterol has gone back into the normal range (along with a rise in my HDL cholesterol). :smile:
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Darnit why don't they add a like button!

*like* :flowerforyou:
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you didn't have any glutamate in your system, you would be dead now. There is absolutely no peer-reviewed study showing that msg is harmful to humans. A whole bunch of holistic websites, yes. But not one peer reviewed study.

The rat study people like to refer to uses crazy doses of msg that would be impossible for humans to meet that equivalent through eating. Hell, if you OD on salt or sugar like that I'm sure you'd get a reaction too.

Please, know and cite proper sources before going to educate others.

MSG = Monosodium glutamate = C5H8NO4Na
    Glutamate = C5H9NO4

They are not the same thing.

A simple example, Oxygen is a deadly gas, if you breath in oxygen you'd die. WHat we breath ins is O2 (2 oxygen molecules not 1) if you breathed in gas containing 1 oxygen molecule you'll die.

Another example, Barium is an element which is toxic. A few weeks ago I drank barium sulfate, yet i am still here. They're not the same thing.

Actually you're wrong about oxygen. Oxygen exists (in normal conditions) as O2. If it's a gas, it's O2 period. The reason we don't die from it is because atmospheric air is 21% oxygen, not 100%. (the majority is nitrogen, at 78%).

But to stay on topic: mmmm MSG
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If you didn't have any glutamate in your system, you would be dead now. There is absolutely no peer-reviewed study showing that msg is harmful to humans. A whole bunch of holistic websites, yes. But not one peer reviewed study.

The rat study people like to refer to uses crazy doses of msg that would be impossible for humans to meet that equivalent through eating. Hell, if you OD on salt or sugar like that I'm sure you'd get a reaction too.

Please, know and cite proper sources before going to educate others.

MSG = Monosodium glutamate = C5H8NO4Na
    Glutamate = C5H9NO4

They are not the same thing.

A simple example, Oxygen is a deadly gas, if you breath in oxygen you'd die. WHat we breath ins is O2 (2 oxygen molecules not 1) if you breathed in gas containing 1 oxygen molecule you'll die.

Another example, Barium is an element which is toxic. A few weeks ago I drank barium sulfate, yet i am still here. They're not the same thing.

I believe the point was that the glutamate is the same in both. Obviously monosodium glutamate would have an added sodium. Is your argument that by adding a sodium to the glutamate, it becomes harmful?
  • eric_sg61
    Options
    Processed foods tend to make us fat.

Nope, anything over your daily calorie intake over a period of time will make you fat.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Mr Lustig, I presume?

Sugar. MSG or whatever may trigger overeating, but have a little f'ing willpower and discipline will stop you from overeating. Sugar made me kick my grandma :mad:

Uh--wut? One must still marshal willpower to avoid sugar (and in my case, wheat). I just went to a bridal shower today and had to muster my willpower to avoid the cupcakes, sweet rolls, little finger sandwiches, trifle, chocolates, etc. I made sure that I had a good breakfast before I went (it was from 10 to 1:00) and nursed a couple of cups of decaf the whole time. I could have had a deviled egg but I had eggs for breakfast and decided to skip it. :smile:
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Of course MSG causes obesity. That's why everyone is Asia is so fat.

i thought MSG was only added to chinese food in america? that's why we are all so fat...
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I must be a special snowflake. Eating MSG hasn't harmed me at all.

That you know of. (*Muwahaha*) :bigsmile:
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Nope, anything over your daily calorie intake over a period of time will make you fat.

um, how do you eat over your intake? lol, over your daily EXPENDITURE...tdee is all the rage this year
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Of course MSG causes obesity. That's why everyone is Asia is so fat.

i thought MSG was only added to chinese food in america? that's why we are all so fat...

Ahhhh---it's a Communist plot!!!
  • Jennystimetolose
    Jennystimetolose Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    MSG doesn't make you fat. Eating too much does. Game. Set. Match.
    i agree with him :)
  • eric_sg61
    Options

Mr Lustig, I presume?

Uh--wut? One must still marshal willpower to avoid sugar (and in my case, wheat). I just went to a bridal shower today and had to muster my willpower to avoid the cupcakes, sweet rolls, little finger sandwiches, trifle, chocolates, etc. I made sure that I had a good breakfast before I went (it was from 10 to 1:00) and nursed a couple of cups of decaf the whole time. I could have had a deviled egg but I had eggs for breakfast and decided to skip it. :smile:

How come I can eat all this sugar and not be fat. I must be special.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The difference between naturally occurring chemicals and those that are man made/altered or added is astounding.

My only excuse for being the weight I am is I liked big portions of unhealthy foods but not anymore. :~)

Better living through natural law, not chemicals.

Hey, look, I get it; You posted some half-@ssed study and can now see that it really proves nothing whatsoever, feel stupid and embarassed, and want to keep defending it.

It might be better to just say "Gee, I don't think I really thought this through... interesting points everyone!"

If you choose not to consume MSG for any reason that is totally your choice and you should be happy with that, but just don't expect that others will follow suit.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    THATS why I got fat!!
    Case closed...

lol jeez...
    Yes, some people react negatively to MSG. Same with gluten, dyes, lactose....
    You will ALWAYS find things that contribute (or "cause") weight gain if you google the right phrase!

I blame it on the formula my mom fed me as a baby.

That 9 months of my life made me fat 29 years later.........it couldn't have been the massive amounts of food I was eating or all the couch sitting I did. Nope, no way.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Mr Lustig, I presume?

How come I can eat all this sugar and not be fat. I must be special.

How come you may be able to have a beer with your buds but Joe Alcoholic can't without going on a three-day bender afterward?
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Eating too much and sitting on my *kitten* did it for me.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    in for the lulz

tumblr_laxz23aIh31qax6flo1_250.gif