White rice or brown rice?

Options
Which is healthier and why? White rice or brown rice? I always thought brown rice was the healthier choice, but I just read in another thread that white rice is healthier. What do you think?

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    White rice.

Tastes nicer, too.
  • steiggret
    Options
    Brown rice is a complex carb so it takes longer to digest (and stays with you longer). White rice doesn't have any fiber.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    This is a copy and paste from another thread that someone said with the fiber in the brown rice being a problem.
    The fiber is actually the problem. The fiber in brown rice is the hull. The hull is indigestible. The majority of the nutrients in brown rice are in the hull. Meaning, on paper brown rice has more nutrients, but the human body can't digest and absorb them. It ends up being a waste of calories, really. Bioavailability is a much more important marker of nutrition than just what the food contains. White rice is far more bioavailable than brown rice, making it a better choice. Plus there are much better sources of fiber out there.

• Shadowknight137
    Options
    Brown rice is a complex carb so it takes longer to digest (and stays with you longer). White rice doesn't have any fiber.

Fiber? I do hope you don't use rice as a fibre source.

That's what vegetables are for.
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I pass on rice and have steamed cauliflower instead.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    I pass on rice and have steamed cauliflower instead.

I never thought of that. Good idea.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

There are two types of fibre, soluble and insoluble, and ideally you'd eat a combination of both. Most veggies are mainly soluble fibre, while grains provide mainly insoluble fibre.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Which ever one fits within your calorie goal.

THIS !!!!

BUT brown is better for ya...sorry but also more cals! :noway:
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    In the end, both are loaded with carbs.

But theres really no such thing as one being "healthier" than the other. Just gotta make sure they fit into your carb/nutrient needs for the day.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Brown :)
  • Shadowknight137
    Options

There are two types of fibre, soluble and insoluble, and ideally you'd eat a combination of both. Most veggies are mainly soluble fibre, while grains provide mainly insoluble fibre.

A vast majority of whole grains inflame me, make me all red and puffy, give me headaches and sometimes have me puking. Out both ends. I'll pass.

Fruit and vegetables are more ideally used as a fibre source, IMO. Take a pumpkin, for example - far more fibre per calorie than any "whole grain", and easily gets the, uh, systems moving.

BUT brown is better for ya...sorry but also more cals! :noway:

No, no it is not. http://butterbeliever.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-healthy/
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Brown every time!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Black rice beats both of them. Look it up.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Brown rice.

brown jasmine rice is DELISH
  • JENNY7634
    JENNY7634 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Neither.....whole grain wild rice. Have you ever tried Quinoa? Its super healthy and tastes a bit nutty, its a great fill in for rice.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

False. Fruits and grains are mostly soluble fiber, vegetables are the insoluble fiber. We humans can't exactly digest cellulose.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    This is a copy and paste from another thread that someone said with the fiber in the brown rice being a problem.
    The fiber is actually the problem. The fiber in brown rice is the hull. The hull is indigestible. The majority of the nutrients in brown rice are in the hull. Meaning, on paper brown rice has more nutrients, but the human body can't digest and absorb them. It ends up being a waste of calories, really. Bioavailability is a much more important marker of nutrition than just what the food contains. White rice is far more bioavailable than brown rice, making it a better choice. Plus there are much better sources of fiber out there.

They need to better research how Brown rice is actually made ....

Brown rice is the whole grain with just the first outer layer (husk or hull) removed through milling. It retains its fiber and germ which contains vital nutrients.

White rice is brown rice that has been milled to remove the bran and much of the germ, reducing fiber and nutrient content drastically. The grain is further polished to take away the remaining layer of germ (called the aleurone layer) which contains essential oils.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Given a choice I'd pick ice cream and red wine.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Here are a few FACTS for you:

Brown rice has...

Twice the manganese and phosphorus as white
    2 ½ times the iron3 times vitamin B3
    4 times the vitamin B1
    10 times the vitamin B6

1. Brown Rice is Rich in Selenium

Extremely high in selenium, an important trace mineral known to drastically reduce our chances of developing certain forms of cancer, as well as heart disease, inflammatory conditions and rheumatoid arthritis.

2. Brown Rice is Very High in Manganese

One cup of brown rice gives us over 80% of our daily manganese requirements. This mineral helps the human body create the important fatty acids that make healthy forms of cholesterol. It is also beneficial to the health of our nervous and reproductive systems.

3. Brown Rice Holds Naturally Occurring Oils

These heart-healthy oils are naturally found in brown rice and can help the body reduce LDL forms of cholesterol.

4. Brown Rice Promotes Weight Loss

Because of its fiber-richness and ability to keep healthy bowel function, brown rice "keeps things moving" in a way that promotes weight-loss and metabolic function. Brown rice makes you feel fuller on less food. A

5. Brown Rice Has Antioxidants

Most people associate antioxidants with blueberries and green tea, but many are unaware that brown rice is also a source of antioxidants.

6. Brown Rice is Very High in Fiber

Studies have correlated the high use of whole grains like brown rice with lowered levels of colon cancer. This may be related to its high fiber content. Studies show that fiber actually attaches to cancer-causing substances and toxins, helping to eliminate them from the body, and keeping them from attaching to the cells in our colon. Brown rice also contains the necessary components to stabilize digestion, prevent/relieve constipation and promote proper elimination/bowel function.

7. Brown Rice is a Slow-Release Sugar

Unlike stripped rice, brown rice can help keep blood sugar stabilized, as it releases sugars slowly and in a sustained fashion. This makes it a better option for diabetics, as compared to white rice. While studies in Asia have shown a link between the consumption of white rice and risk of type-2 diabetes, new research shows that individuals who eat at least two servings of brown rice weekly can reduce their chances of developing diabetes 2 by up to 11 percent.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Here are a few FACTS for you:

Brown rice has...

Twice the manganese and phosphorus as white
    2 ½ times the iron3 times vitamin B3
    4 times the vitamin B1
    10 times the vitamin B6

1. Brown Rice is Rich in Selenium

Extremely high in selenium, an important trace mineral known to drastically reduce our chances of developing certain forms of cancer, as well as heart disease, inflammatory conditions and rheumatoid arthritis.

2. Brown Rice is Very High in Manganese

One cup of brown rice gives us over 80% of our daily manganese requirements. This mineral helps the human body create the important fatty acids that make healthy forms of cholesterol. It is also beneficial to the health of our nervous and reproductive systems.

3. Brown Rice Holds Naturally Occurring Oils

These heart-healthy oils are naturally found in brown rice and can help the body reduce LDL forms of cholesterol.

4. Brown Rice Promotes Weight Loss

Because of its fiber-richness and ability to keep healthy bowel function, brown rice "keeps things moving" in a way that promotes weight-loss and metabolic function. Brown rice makes you feel fuller on less food. A

5. Brown Rice Has Antioxidants

Most people associate antioxidants with blueberries and green tea, but many are unaware that brown rice is also a source of antioxidants.

6. Brown Rice is Very High in Fiber

Studies have correlated the high use of whole grains like brown rice with lowered levels of colon cancer. This may be related to its high fiber content. Studies show that fiber actually attaches to cancer-causing substances and toxins, helping to eliminate them from the body, and keeping them from attaching to the cells in our colon. Brown rice also contains the necessary components to stabilize digestion, prevent/relieve constipation and promote proper elimination/bowel function.

7. Brown Rice is a Slow-Release Sugar

Unlike stripped rice, brown rice can help keep blood sugar stabilized, as it releases sugars slowly and in a sustained fashion. This makes it a better option for diabetics, as compared to white rice. While studies in Asia have shown a link between the consumption of white rice and risk of type-2 diabetes, new research shows that individuals who eat at least two servings of brown rice weekly can reduce their chances of developing diabetes 2 by up to 11 percent.
    Except brown rice also contains phytonutrients, and is much less bioavailable than white rice. It doesn't make a bit of difference how much of whatever is in a food if the human body can't make use of it, which it pretty much can't with brown rice.