White rice or brown rice?

Options

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    4. Brown Rice Promotes Weight Loss

YAY i can stuff my face and lose weight!! :bigsmile: if only!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Considering that rice is probably not going to compose the majority of your diet, I would base this decision on taste.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    That's funny Tiger....

Plant foods contain thousands of natural chemicals. These are called phytonutrients or phytochemicals."Phyto" refers to the Greek word for plant. These chemicals help protect plants from germs, fungi, bugs, and other threats.

Fruits and vegetables contain phytonutrients. Other plant-based foods also contain phytonutrients, such as:

Whole grains
    Nuts
    Beans
    Tea

Phytonutrients aren't essential for keeping you alive, unlike the vitamins and minerals that plant foods contain. But when you eat or drink phytonutrients, they may help prevent disease and keep your body working properly.

Although phytochemicals are not yet classified as nutrients, substances necessary for sustaining life, they have been identified as containing properties for aiding in disease prevention. Phytochemicals are associated with the prevention and/or treatment of at least four of the leading causes of death in Western countries - cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and hypertension. They are involved in many processes including ones that help prevent cell damage, prevent cancer cell replication, and decrease cholesterol levels.

And according to the USDA research study on bioavalabilty of UNPOLISHED, POLISHED GRAIN AND BRAN FRACTION OF FIVE RICE GENOTYPES, Iron was really the only significantly less bioavalable nutrient.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Rice is brown in nature.. Brown rice is a complex carb.. brown rice is real calories and is real food that provides real nourishment to the body, white rice is processed and does not provide nutrition, much of it has a ton of sugar in it (sugar is broken down into fat and stored). Brown rice can make you constipated, but is the better choice.

There are a few reasons why white rice is more common than brown rice. (not written by me)

For starters, the average rice, which has been bleached, bathed, shined, and glossed, looks more appealing to the the naked eye. We are human, we tend to like aesthetically appealing things. White rice looks more pristine and perfect than brown rice.
    White rice, cooks more quickly than brown rice. We want fast service, both at home, and when dining out. We want food to appear before our eyes, the moment we decide we are hungry. White rice can be cooked lickity-split. Brown rice takes longer.
    White rice is more shelf-stable. Because white rice is more processed than brown rice, it loses most, if not all of its nutrients. For the same reason that a shelf-stable, pasteurized juice, can last forever in a warm, pantry closet, so can that box of rice. Unrefined, unprocessed, rice contains a nutritional oil, that can go rancid if left out for too long. White rice is devoid of this nutritional oil, (and devoid of most nutrients). A food without nutrients is a “non-living” food. Non-living foods can last quite a long time. (No one worries about the Twinkies going bad…).
    Rice, like white bread, is cheap and filling. (However, because it is not nourishing, it only makes us feel full, not satiated).
    Consuming white rice used to be a status symbol. Years ago, in Asian cultures, white rice was seen as more prestigious than brown rice. Brown rice was thought to be seen as a peasants food.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Given a choice I'd pick ice cream and red wine.
    This, as well as pop tarts.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    It's no wonder people are neurotic about food. I had white rice in the veg stir fry I made last night and I guess my cholesterol is going to go up and I'm at danger of getting diabetes. :smile:
  • DavidKBrewer
    Options
    This topic is too racist for me.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    SO, I wonder if th OP even cares at this point ....LOL....
  • xxtaliaxx
    xxtaliaxx Posts: 123
    Options
    Well....I always thought brown rice was healthier but I see what some people are saying with the fact that some of it's indigestable. And I also noticed that most if not all Asians eat white rice and I swear they are the healthiest people on earth. They freaking live forever! I'm just saying...The Asians are on to something...Have been for centuries..
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    brown :)
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Basmati rice and brown rice hve the most vitamins and minerals. Brown rice has a bit more calories than Basamati rice, so I mostly eat Basamti rice. It also matches best with indian food, which I mostly cook.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

This.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

This.
    Funny, I thought it was riceist. :happy:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Ever taste brown rice sushi? Blech.

I'm Asian and likes lots of Asians around the world, white rice seems to be our choice. It's what you eat with it that makes the difference. I'll say that I only eat about 1/2 cup of it a day though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Considering that rice is probably not going to compose the majority of your diet, I would base this decision on taste.

Man! You beat me to it again!!

Unless you have issues with inflammation with brown rice, either is fine. As a chef, what one I choose depends on what the dish is and what flavor profile I'm looking for. There is not a ton of nutritional difference as has been pointed out. Some but not a lot. Neither one are "bad". Just different.

Considering what was said above and taking into account the context of the meal and the flavors, use whatever you prefer that day.

Some examples:
    Turkey and Rice Soup - brown rice for the nutty, earthy flavor and texture.
    Rice Cakes - White Jasimine for the starchiness to bond together the cake.
    Sushi - White rice for the starchiness
    Shrimp Creole - White rice for the fluffiness
    Spanish Rice - Either
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally, they are virtually the same. Since I think brown rice tastes gross, I will stick with white rice!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Given a choice I'd pick ice cream and red wine.
    This, as well as pop tarts.

Pop tarts & wine...........:heart:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I am torn between the two since I am part German/Cajun and Spanish/Mexican.
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    This is a copy and paste from another thread that someone said with the fiber in the brown rice being a problem.
    The fiber is actually the problem. The fiber in brown rice is the hull. The hull is indigestible. The majority of the nutrients in brown rice are in the hull. Meaning, on paper brown rice has more nutrients, but the human body can't digest and absorb them. It ends up being a waste of calories, really. Bioavailability is a much more important marker of nutrition than just what the food contains. White rice is far more bioavailable than brown rice, making it a better choice. Plus there are much better sources of fiber out there.

Fiber is always indigestible, so I'm not sure what the original poster was trying to get at with this. The problem is the USFDA labeling laws. Check out this article:

http://www.examiner.com/article/if-fiber-is-not-digested-then-why-do-we-count-the-calories-or-carbs-it