the disgrace that is dominos!!

Options
Since joining this website I have realised just how much the calories in food add up over the course of the day, making my unexplainable weight gain extremely explainable!

Is anybody else shocked at the calorie and fat content of Dominos Pizza?

For example a medium veggie supreme pizza contains 1,368 cals - my daily goal is 1,380!! Not to mention the garlic and herb dips, they contain 174 cals each. My friend has four tubs of the stuff when she has a Dominos, adding 696 cals to her day and a ton of fat before she has even ate any pizza!! :sick: :sick:

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    No I'm not surprised at all.

I'm more surprised that people actually eat that stuff!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Nope, but i like dominos. Better than pizza hut...theyve really improved over the years.
  • lessofme150
    lessofme150 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am shocked in general about how many calories are in foods that you think are healthy, or healthier. As for the pizza, not surprised unfortunately. I didn't get to be the size I am by eating fruits and veggies all day :-)

When I first started on here I would add a typical day just to see how over board I really was with my days. Most of the days that I entered put me 2 times, if not more, over what I should be having a day. Definitely an eye opener.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Since joining this website I have realised just how much the calories in food add up over the course of the day, making my unexplainable weight gain extremely explainable!

For example a medium veggie supreme pizza contains 1,368 cals - my daily goal is 1,380!! Not to mention the garlic and herb dips, they contain 174 cals each. My friend has four tubs of the stuff when she has a Dominos, adding 696 cals to her day and a ton of fat before she has even ate any pizza!! :sick: :sick:

1368 / 8 = 171. So, two slices = 342. Add in a side salad with oil/vinegar and you've got yourself a decent meal and it is something generally on the dieters "sin" list.

Guess my point is you don't have to eat the whole pizza ya know?
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Good lord 1368 cals will crush my day! I try to avoid it as much as I can.. If not, I have my exercise to help me minimize the damage. If can't exercise, then you have the next day!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Okay....so don't eat the entire pizza. Have a serving of it. Isn't that the whole point of this?

Oh sorry I mean, pizza is evil - I can't believe people eat that garbage!
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I certainly agree with you. If you like it, eat it.

You just have to fit it in your lifestyle and cal budget. I love pizza so I generally bake it myself. And have pizza out once in a while as you say, in moderation...

MODERATION is key!

Additionally, I bake a healthier version or simply buy tortillas or pita bread and make a healthy pizza with it. I change the mozzarella cheese for cottage cheese with salt and voila! i have my pizza..
    Okay....so don't eat the entire pizza. Have a serving of it. Isn't that the whole point of this?

Oh sorry I mean, pizza is evil - I can't believe people eat that garbage!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

1368 / 8 = 171. So, two slices = 342. Add in a side salad with oil/vinegar and you've got yourself a decent meal and it is something generally on the dieters "sin" list.

I think this is an important point... when I was young, a medium pizza was supposed to serve 2-3 people, and a large pizza 3-4 people, and pizza restaurants did mini single serving pizzas for one person.

Somewhere along the lines, people have changed their perception of serving sizes, and now it's generally perceived as 1 pizza for 1 person, even a large one. Then add in all the sides and extras and a stuffed crust....
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I think this is an important point... when I was young, a medium pizza was supposed to serve 2-3 people, and a large pizza 3-4 people, and pizza restaurants did mini single serving pizzas for one person.

I'm glad someone else remembers those. I remember when I was young that our monthly treat was going to the cinema and Pizza Hut afterwards. They did individual pizzas which were about the size of a size plate - but I've noticed that nobody seems to do these now. From my observations the smallest size of pizza from anywhere is 9", but quite often 12" and people treat the 12" as one portion.

Now personally I bloody hate cold pizza (or reheated pizza) so if there's nobody to share it with I just don't get one. The other thing is that I don't like high-street pizzas anymore - if I have one I'll go to an independent who's doing proper wood-fired pizza oven jobs that are ultra thin/crispy and not so loaded with fat that the box they come in go transparent.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Stop at whatever number of slices your goals allow. This really doesn't have to be all or nothing.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    OK, eating pizza and then complaining about the number of calories is akin to eating an entire chocolate cake and then complaining because your tummy hurts. IT'S PIZZA!

I'm not surprised about what's in food. I am very surprised about the number of people who are surprised about what's in food. Not just calories, but nutrition, chemicals, fat content. I've even met people in the past that had no idea the burger they bought at the drive threw window came from one of those cute and adorable cows.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

Exactly. I could easily fit 4 slices into a long run day, and still have room for a couple of glasses of red wine. And a Pop-Tart.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    You're quoting calories for an entire pizza! A single slice of that would be completely manageable... And, to top it off, it's pretty good pizza these days. Certainly my favorite among the "fast food" pizza joints...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

This. I'd bet most entrees for 2-4 people have that many calories.
    Granted, I'll usually skip the dominos in favor of a heartier whole wheat/whole grain crust....but calories wise, it's not that bad.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Exactly. I could easily fit 4 slices into a long run day, and still have room for a couple of glasses of red wine. And a Pop-Tart.

We should be friends. :flowerforyou:
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I am totally having cheesy bread from Dominos on my next "cheat" day! Because I have to eat at least half of the cheesy bread! I always try to fit it into my macros, though.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly! even at my heaviest I never ate an entire pizza at one meal.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Fat is not bad for you. It's actually pretty important.

Today on my way home from swimming I will be stopping at Pizza Hut and eating half of a 14" pizza for lunch. Maybe I'll do Little Caesar's instead. It's only like 1600 calories either way. Minus my swim, the calories come out to a little bit more than a fairly typical lunch for me.

Moderation is your friend. You really should try it out. :)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

We should be friends. :flowerforyou:
    Yes, because I have that exact pair of compression sleeves!
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm Dominos is one of my favorites :) I get a 10" cheese pizza, and it lasts me a good couple of days.