the disgrace that is dominos!!

Options

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm glad someone else remembers those. I remember when I was young that our monthly treat was going to the cinema and Pizza Hut afterwards. They did individual pizzas which were about the size of a size plate - but I've noticed that nobody seems to do these now. From my observations the smallest size of pizza from anywhere is 9", but quite often 12" and people treat the 12" as one portion.
    They (Pizza Hut at least) do still offer this.
    It's called "Personal Pan Pizza" it's 6" and featured on their lunch menu. Haven't had Pizza Hut in almost 4 years, I do get a hankering for stuffed crust once in a while but just seeing their hot-dog monstrosity ads may have cured me of that
  • jesssi1984
    jesssi1984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sat 03/16/13 10:16 PM
    It's hard when my uni friends get two for tuesdays (a flat of four). And everyone gets a pizza to themselves. If I suggest sharing they look at me like I am sick in the head e.g friend has FOUR bloody dips. God help them when their metabolisms change- not to mention how bad it is for you! It's so hard to have the whole pizza sat in front of me and only eat two slices- I find it easier not to have it at all. I suppose this is my general downfall. I need to recognise when I am full etc.

Maybe they just don't want to share THEIRS, but that doesn't mean I would have to eat my whole pizza. I'm one that hates wasting money. I would hate to throw a pizza away. But in my mind, I could be stuffed now; or I could save it and be satisfied within a healthy limit and make several meals out of it! (Did this a LOT living on my own, I would go out to eat and bring back half of my dinner, since most entrees out are twice or three times what you should take in at a sitting!) no need to spend $30 on dinner, or even $5, and not eat for at least two days. So my habit really started out of monetary need, but now, I just grab a slice or two if it fits in my day, like most others here. ????
  • Interestedeater
    Options
    Yeah thanks I never saw it like that. Think I will start seeing my fella on Tues but he wants to feed me! Wants to take me out for food which is hard because I am a veggie and everything veggie is often smothered in cheese and he won't eat vegetarian food often. I don't want to be become a loner to achieve my goals.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Only had a pizza from there twice in my life, during binge moments, and I had the personal size ones which were around 600 calories, so not quite as bad.
  • AllisonConnell1301
    Options
    It doesn't surprise me, but it always sucks when you actually see it written out haha. I love dominos, but it's just something I have to cut out
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    glad you now know the calories the pizza has...you can NEVAR un-know it !!

congrats though..this is a step in a positive direction. you can still have your pizza and eat it too...if it fits within your daily calorie allowance
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It's hard when my uni friends get two for tuesdays (a flat of four). And everyone gets a pizza to themselves. If I suggest sharing they look at me like I am sick in the head e.g friend has FOUR bloody dips. God help them when their metabolisms change- not to mention how bad it is for you! It's so hard to have the whole pizza sat in front of me and only eat two- I find it easier not to have it at all. I suppose this is my general downfall. I need to recognise when I am full etc.
    That's a classic case of peer pressure. But the question is, do you really know what they would think if you only ate two slices of your own pizza? Would that mean you have to explain your diet to them and you are embarrassed? How do you know they don't feel the same way but are too concerned what you think of them? IMHO it would be best to at least clue your friends into your diet. It will make it easier to tell them you are saving the rest of the pizza for later. If they are not onboard with your goals, maybe its time to make plans to be somewhere else on tuesday nights.
    I don't get it. Peer pressure about eating? If anyone cares what or how much I eat, that's their loss.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    i think your problem lies in self control, which cannot be blamed on dominos dear. the thought of eating a whole pizza makes me disgustingly nauseous.

though i don't prefer domino's, i like pizza hut personally.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    The calories on this is crazy. Yesterday I had 1/4 of a 6 inch personal pan pizza at pizza hut and it was 146 calories. Can you imagine if I ate the entire thing??
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    here's to making your own pizza!!!! The bought stuff is heart attack material....
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Since joining this website I have realised just how much the calories in food add up over the course of the day, making my unexplainable weight gain extremely explainable!

Is anybody else shocked at the calorie and fat content of Dominos Pizza?

For example a medium veggie supreme pizza contains 1,368 cals - my daily goal is 1,380!! Not to mention the garlic and herb dips, they contain 174 cals each. My friend has four tubs of the stuff when she has a Dominos, adding 696 cals to her day and a ton of fat before she has even ate any pizza!! :sick: :sick:

More surprised that somebody doesn't realize eating a whole medium pizza is excessive.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The calories on this is crazy. Yesterday I had 1/4 of a 6 inch personal pan pizza at pizza hut and it was 146 calories. Can you imagine if I ate the entire thing??
    Fortunately we don't need to imagine, we can just multiply 146 by 4 to get 584. That's not a ridiculous number of calories to eat for one meal.
  • PreggoRocker
    Options
    Fortunately we don't need to imagine, we can just multiply 146 by 4 to get 584. That's not a ridiculous number of calories to eat for one meal.
    agreed. id be completely unsatisfied with 1/4 of a personal pan pizza. theres a reason its called personal pan >.>
    of course my calories when losing were about 1800 (net) and i never had a problem fitting a whole medium pizza into my week after exercise and such.
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Back in the day I used to put away an entire medium pizza and a liter of coke for dinner fairly often. Makes you wonder what the heck you were thinking back then. Talk about an awful and unhealthy relationship with food.

Well, I guess that's why we are all here. At least we've recognized the issue.
  • crenner07
    crenner07 Posts: 36
    Options
    Back in the day I used to put away an entire medium pizza and a liter of coke for dinner fairly often. Makes you wonder what the heck you were thinking back then. Talk about an awful and unhealthy relationship with food.

Well, I guess that's why we are all here. At least we've recognized the issue.

Agreed. I work nights and we'd buy pizza, wings or fast food burgers. Realistically I knew that what I was doing was not healthy and was ultimately not going to make me happy. However, it tasted so good that I told myself it didn't matter. I'm so glad I got on here and have started to use my willpower again. Not that I don't want pizza or wings, of course I do (they're delicious). It's just that I've decided that being healthy in the long run will be far better than having that one meal. I can still have wings on my one day a month cheat day if that's what I decide to do, but it will no longer be a weekly or bi-weekly meal.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Who eats a whole freaking pizza? I have a healthy appetite but even on a hungry day I couldn't put away a whole pizza!

I could, when I was a teenager, especially around 12-16. Regularly ate like a beast and inexplicably stayed in the dead centre of the BMI, not that I knew what that was then. Lunch might easily have been two Quarter Cheese combos. Don't get it at all - I'm female, wasn't on a sports team or anything. (Gain was later & triggered by meds.) Couldn't eat like that at my age now, but my TDEE is still probably higher than what's typical for my stats.

Pizza Hut = greasiest pizza ever
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    1368 / 8 = 171. So, two slices = 342. Add in a side salad with oil/vinegar and you've got yourself a decent meal and it is something generally on the dieters "sin" list.

Guess my point is you don't have to eat the whole pizza ya know?
    Exactly. I could easily fit 4 slices into a long run day, and still have room for a couple of glasses of red wine. And a Pop-Tart.
    & ice cream with the pop tart.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Can't say I'm surprised and only having had a domino's pizza once not that upset about it. Try Pizza Hut - not great either but, IMO, much better and less calories than dominos
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this thread I have been craving Domino's pizza since yesterday. I was so close to calling and picking up a pie on my way home and asking for dipping sauces...all the dipping sauces! Someone, start a thread about the disgrace of salad...quick!
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    I can eat an entire pizza. I had very, very tall siblings who managed to stay slim while eating 2+ pizzas in one sitting so I followed suit. Not being 6'8 and keen on hours of outdoor activity each day that habit kind of backfired on me.

What surprises me is that people aren't aware just how many calories are to be found in the average pizza. Tbh, I would have assumed there were a lot more. You're taking what is basically a ton of bread and then smothering it in cheese and meat with a few vegetables added for decoration. What part of that description screams low cal? I want to say "eat something better, Dominos is rubbish" but my heart belongs to McDonalds so I'm hardly one to judge. I prefer my pizza to be homemade just because I have a thing for artichokes and eggplant the way I roast it, but I figure with the feta and the olives packed in oil I'm hardly skewing low cal by choosing to diy my pizza cravings.