Pro Anorexia on MFP....

Options

Replies

• betterthanbefpre
    betterthanbefpre Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've been on the anorexia/bellimic side and I know that it is a control thing. I would get depressed if I ate much of anything that wasn't a salad. If I was starving and beinged I woud make myself sick to ensure I wouldn't gain. I am 5' 10" and I was, at my lowest 115 and wore a size 2 but thought I was still needing to lose. Also, it was so great to hear the constant compliments on my weight...in my mind I thought, "if you think I look good now, just wait!".

Anyway, I take worth from my children and being healthy more than anything else now. I don't want to ever get that small again. It was NOT healthy and honestly not attractive. Now, being much older and wiser I have changed my ways...now my goal is 150. Which is so much better for me and my frame.

It's everywhere...but hopefully they will change their ways and be healthy about it.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've really seen any threads that I thought were pro-anorexia.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've really seen any threads that I thought were pro-anorexia.

I've seen a few. They tend to cluster in a particular groups and circles of friends, and support each other via PMs and wall posts. I came across a pro ana forum the other day, where several were exchanging their MFP usernames, so that they could meet up here.

Very sad.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Problem solved - thank you Moderator!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Anorexics have a right to be here too. Hopefully they'll get the kind of help they need to be healthy and happy. However, doing the things that it takes to be healthy has to be a choice.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Please report users that you are concerned about being Pro-Anorexia and/or are violating our community guideline:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, ]or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

Additionally, MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I'm really, really nervous about posting on here, but I am probably one of the pro-ana types you are talking about. I just want to say, I am NOT PRO-ana. I rarely eat over 350 cals a day, and I always have a negative net. If I eat more, I feel INCREDIBLY guilty, and NEED to throw up. You rarely see people posting stuff like this because we are doing it for ourselves, not for you, and would really appreciate it if you didn't judge us based on that. We are not "encouraging" our diseases, in fact, I will say right now, DO NOT TRY TO BE ANOREXIC. DON'T TRY TO BE BULIMIC EITHER. It is terrible. Don't report me, I'm saying to do the exact opposite of what I'm doing. Just please, distinguish between pro-ana and those with eating disorders, because I am about as far from pro-ana as I can get.

get help. if you are eating 350 calories a day and netting a negative number, you are killing yourself. literally. none of us here are qualified to help you, but please seek treatment. life is too short as it is. don't cut it any shorter than it needs to be and don't spend your days feeling ashamed of eating or worrying about food.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

That was harsh.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I actively developed/worsened my ED via a website when I was in my teens- everything from mantras to tips and tricks.

It was SICK. I never knew how sick until I was in the throws of it and realized I was stuck in a dangerous illness...

Looking back I can see how dangerous sites like that are to developing minds... anorexia, bulimia, EDNOS are serious, dangerous, and can be life-altering and fatal. Please don't support/reinforce that kind of behavior..
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm really, really nervous about posting on here, but I am probably one of the pro-ana types you are talking about. I just want to say, I am NOT PRO-ana. I rarely eat over 350 cals a day, and I always have a negative net. If I eat more, I feel INCREDIBLY guilty, and NEED to throw up. You rarely see people posting stuff like this because we are doing it for ourselves, not for you, and would really appreciate it if you didn't judge us based on that. We are not "encouraging" our diseases, in fact, I will say right now, DO NOT TRY TO BE ANOREXIC. DON'T TRY TO BE BULIMIC EITHER. It is terrible. Don't report me, I'm saying to do the exact opposite of what I'm doing. Just please, distinguish between pro-ana and those with eating disorders, because I am about as far from pro-ana as I can get.

Try reading The Diet Cure. It has helped a lot of people in your situation. Good luck.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    ETA: some parents will place their anorexic children in hospitals/clinics where they are force fed, I've not heard of any parents sending their obese children to similar places to lose weight.

I went to a couple of different fat camps growing up. Then, there wasn't much education to it, just feeding you less and making you active (even if it was only for a month). Now, there's actually a boarding school for overweight children. http://www.wellspringacademies.com/ I googled boarding school overweight kids and had 212,000 hits. There's a TV show about this school. Can't remember what it's called though.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options

That was harsh.

maybe... but anyone saying how great it is to eat 300-800 calories a day and how much she is losing is probably defying the rules and regulations!
  • Elicur
    Elicur Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was on pro mia/ ana sites when I was a teenager. ( Mia = Bulimia Ana= Anorexia ) and they aren't all bad. The girls ( and guys ) find support, but generally when one of them goes too far the others will take care of them, and try to get them "better" .
    I'd rather see girls on here with people that know what's going on, than have them do it all alone. And don't say they wouldn't do it if they didn't have sites for support, I was sick for years before I found such a field.
    It is sad when I see it, but I know the way their minds tick and have both sympathy and anger towards them. But guess what!? You are on the internet! No limitations.
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It is sad. One of my friends yesterday said that she had to do insanity last night because she ate way too much. She had 900 cals yesterday. May have to delete her if that keeps going on, I can't support that.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Pro ana means a person is for anorexia and influences others to join them, and in a way they embrace anorexia. So you are encouraging anorexia.

Many anorexics hate pro ana's because anorexia is a devastating disease and would not wish it on anyone.

AND remember, the people suffering from an ED cannot control it all. So do not judge them for eating so little. THEY CANNOT CONTROL IT.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    I was on pro mia/ ana sites when I was a teenager. ( Mia = Bulimia Ana= Anorexia ) and they aren't all bad. The girls ( and guys ) find support, but generally when one of them goes too far the others will take care of them, and try to get them "better" .
    I'd rather see girls on here with people that know what's going on, than have them do it all alone. And don't say they wouldn't do it if they didn't have sites for support, I was sick for years before I found such a field.
    It is sad when I see it, but I know the way their minds tick and have both sympathy and anger towards them. But guess what!? You are on the internet! No limitations.

yet your "inspiration" is your 15 year old self and her 100lb weight loss in 9 months...

*waits to see if someone is going to call Mod for this one*
  • Elicur
    Elicur Posts: 78 Member
    Options

yet your "inspiration" is your 15 year old self and her 100lb weight loss in 9 months...

*waits to see if someone is going to call Mod for this one*

Because my fifteeen year old self was self destructive and weighed 230 pounds, silly...
  • dcuevas6235
    dcuevas6235 Posts: 135
    Options
    I agree that its not only uncomfortable and sad to see the news feeds and posts of these individuals with eating disorders (its not just the women. I have seen a handful of guys who want to look like models doing the same thing). Anyone who has an ED disorder who has friended me, I will give them about a weeks time till I delete them. But the ED-pals that I have kept are recovering from their ED, and they are trying really hard to trust the science and eat right. They will tend to fall back into patterns, but I feel if we encourage them with our kind words, and our own personal triumphs, they will read our diaries and that will help them stay on track. If we don't . . . well . . . like many of you had mentioned, these individuals find each other and they relapse back into the heart of the disease.

I encourage the rest of you to also take a minute out of your day, and reach out to these poor people. After all, this is a supportive community.
  • LimeKaufman
    Options
    Can everyone just please realize that not all people with eating disorders think everyone else should have the same eating habits? Most people I've met who suffer from eating disorders recognize that they are, in fact, suffering. It becomes more about control than weight loss, and it is a mental disease. Uncontrollable. Also, their calorie intake is their business and while of course, I hope that they can maintain a healthy lifestyle, it's up to them to do so and is none of your business. Someone who is a part of their life should guide them to the right resources. A stranger online saying "you need to eat more" won't do anything.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Pro ana means a person is for anorexia and influences others to join them, and in a way they embrace anorexia. So you are encouraging anorexia.

Many anorexics hate pro ana's because anorexia is a devastating disease and would not wish it on anyone.

AND remember, the people suffering from an ED cannot control it all. So do not judge them for eating so little. THEY CANNOT CONTROL IT.

^Unfortunately, if that logic were 100% true, it would mean that obese people could never STOP overeating either.

It is true that anorexia and bulimia are devastating diseases and that the individuals suffering feel trapped, whether they seem to 'encourage' their lifestyle or not. But with proper treatment, then can and do control it. They just have to WANT to get better, much like people with other mental disorders. (Because eating disorders, while they have physical effects, are at heart mental disorders of another fashion. On both sides of the eating spectrum.) You can tell people what to do until you're blue in the face but at the end of the day, people do what they feel in their heart to be right. And none of us can change that. We just have to be supportive (a shocking concept on this site, I know) and hope that one day, these poor women (and men) will wake up and realize what they are doing to their bodies and want to change. I did, and I am stopping my own debilitating overeating habits.