I don't get it

Options
SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
On my FL, there are several friends who are the most intelligent and highly educated people. Yet, when we converse on walls or in PMs, or even when they make or reply to forum posts, they really dumb down their language. What's up with that? Is it a leftover defense mechanism from when they were in school and had to play dumb to fit in with the cool crowd? Laziness?

Do you have any thoughts?

Replies

• matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    kwdui1m.gif
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on MFP?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

^^ THIS
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    itz bcuz intrnet makes u dum
  • nayla1984
    nayla1984 Posts: 17
    Options
    kwdui1m.gif
    . Hahaha
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I'm stupid and uneducated, but always post in a way that will trick people into thinking I'm clever. My parents help me with the big words.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Is it mostly women playing dumb? Some do that because they think it's what men want.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I find many people dumb down their language online. I blame texting and Twitter.

Have a big word from me: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Probably because the internet is quick and casual, and not at the top of anyone's priorities (no one gets paid to do this).
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I would say since August 2012
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Shi*talking about your friends just isn't cool bro! I am very happy u aren't my friend!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Is it mostly women playing dumb? Some do that because they think it's what men want.

Why the hell would they want dumb? :shrug: (Yes, I want new smileys) I like to actually interact with people on a level that doesn't annoy the p!ss out of me. I have low tolerance for dumb.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Yes.

100 years ago.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I find many people dumb down their language online. I blame texting and Twitter.

Have a big word from me: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

How about

λοπαδο­τεμαχο­σελαχο­γαλεο­κρανιο­λειψανο­δριμ­υπο­τριμματο­σιλφιο­καραβο­μελιτο­κατακεχυ­μενο­κιχλ­επι­κοσσυφο­φαττο­περιστερ­αλεκτρυον­οπτο­κεφαλλιο­κιγκλο­πελειο­λαγῳο­σιραιο­βαφη­τραγανο­πτερύγων
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    cough d!ck cough
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Probably because the internet is quick and casual, and not at the top of anyone's priorities (no one gets paid to do this).

You sound like my boss. :grumble:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Shi*talking about your friends just isn't cool bro! I am very happy u aren't my friend!

More for me, thanks.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I'm stupid and uneducated, but always post in a way that will trick people into thinking I'm clever. My parents help me with the big words.

Really??? Cus you had me totally fooled! I was always dumbfounded by your amazing intelligence:)
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

???? When did I ever talk smack about my friends? I said they are highly intelligent and many overly educated. That's talking *kitten*? I'm including myself in this group as well. I have 4 degrees, with an overall gpa of a 3.87. Yet, when I am confronted with people dumbing down, I find myself doing the same thing. I've always been a chameleon of sorts, and adapt my language to match those with whom I am conversing. It's not something I try to do. It's something that happens. It's kind of like the principle of mirroring behavior to deescalate intense situations, or to control the mood of a conversation.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Why the hell would they want dumb? :shrug: (Yes, I want new smileys) I like to actually interact with people on a level that doesn't annoy the p!ss out of me. I have low tolerance for dumb.

Might want to avoid the cleanse threads then.