How long until you enjoyed running?

Options
I've been trying to run for a couple of months now. I have a really hard time pushing myself for very long. I'm doing it mostly so I can do a Color Run with my friends, and because I know it's a great way to exercise even when I'm in the middle of no where Montana for the summer.

I have never been good at it, but I hear the people talk about how they "love running" or at least really enoy it. How long did it take you to get to that point?

Replies

• NatzC123
    NatzC123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hey, it took me a couple of months before I realised I loved it! I was so unfit to begin with but I can now run 5k in about 35 minutes which is a HUGE achievement for me!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I've been running off and on for years. Still hate it. It's not magical for everyone. Give it a couple more months for your body to adapt to it. If you still can't stand it, run your race and find an activity you like. Exercise should be enjoyable
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Every time I run, I love mile 1, hate mile 2 all the way until mile 3. Then it gets awesome. Every single time I go out.
    I'm editing this to add that I used Couch to 5k, and that made it easier, more fun, and a really obvious way to see progress which kept me motivated when the runs were hard. Just ran my first 5k today and destroyed my average time I've done on my solo runs.
  • BrandNewAmy
    BrandNewAmy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet, either, but from what I understand, first, it takes 21 days to develop a "habit" then after that (give or take some days) your body starts to "miss" the exercise. I have a co-worker who is a newish runner and she said that while she doesn't "love" it, she can tell when she doesn't run. She loves how it makes her feel and misses that feeling when she isn't running. I'm hoping to reach that point, or get that feeling, one day!! :)
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I've been running off and on for years. Still hate it. It's not magical for everyone. Give it a couple more months for your body to adapt to it. If you still can't stand it, run your race and find an activity you like. Exercise should be enjoyable
    This.

I enjoy it, because it's the only *me* time I get. However, some people never like it, no matter how much shape they're in.

Find something you like, and do that.
  • blippers
    blippers Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Same question. I've been running for just over 3 months and although I love the feeling of accomplishment after, I still can't say I enjoy doing it. I wish I did but it's often quite the opposite! I usually run about 5k, I'd love to build to 10 but so far can't see that happening!
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have always loved running. I tried the bike, elliptical, dancing. But for cardio running was always my thing. I know a lot of people don't start to enjoy it till it becomes easier.

is there a reason you don't like it? boring? painful? maybe try something else for cardio maybe running really isn't your thing?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    This.

I enjoy it, because it's the only *me* time I get. However, some people never like it, no matter how much shape they're in.

I go through cycles. Sometimes I love it and other times I loathe it. Right now I'm truly hating it for some reason.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have always thought running was stupid. However, I needed to burn more calories so I took it up in November. I didn't enjoy it, but in a few weeks it became "not so horrible" though I still thought it was stupid. My favourite part was being done, though I was pleased at how much my long capacity/stamina improved in a short time and I liked that I could successfully add distance each week.

Last week I mapped out what I thought was 8 miles. However, I miscalculated and when I looked at my phone at the end, I had run 9 freakin miles. Non stop. In 94 minutes. RAWR. Really, I did whoop out loud (sorry lady on the street).

Running became easier each day (though there were some days I had to drag my sorry @$$ out there!) but it was on that day that I finally got it. *THIS* is why people run!

I still don't "enjoy" it per se when I am doing it, but I love what its doing for my body and I love the feeling of meeting the challenge and for now, that's more than good enough for me.

Hope you are "feeling" it soon. Hang in there!
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    This.

yep this!
  • daryll77
    daryll77 Posts: 29
    Options
    Try one of the C25K programmes (couch to 5 Kilometers)...they are really great at building up your running time by slowly increasing your mins jogging and decreasing your mins walking. They have really helped me get into running.

I find them really great because I only have to job for short intervals and I get such a great buzz knowing that i ran for a little bit more each day...which means that I am getting a little bit healthier and fitter each time I get out there!

It took a little while before I got the running bug, but i had such a feeling of accomplishment each time I went out, that it was enough to get me out the door each morning.

Good luck and keep it up!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    It took a little while, although I don't really remember how long. I do remember when it happened! It was the first time I had actually run an entire mile without stopping and I still felt like I could do more! That was so empowering because I was raised in a culture where girls don't run. (Thankfully, that has changed!) This was something I was doing for ME, really the first thing, and the high was better than anything else imaginable!

Even these days, current circumstances aside, If I can make it past the first 15-20 minutes, I can keep going forever. Just add water and electrolytes... like a battery LOL :laugh:
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I love that I can eat more because of running, not so much running itself. I've been doin HIIT which gives more bang for your buck.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    One year and counting...
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It probably took me about 9 months to really love running. I enjoyed and loved the benefits. I loved the "me" time listening to my music and I loved how I felt after I was done running. I loved the way my body felt better and more toned and I was starting to "look" different.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When you start seeing improvement.. it can get quite fun. I probably didn't LOVE it for about 6 months or something. Not saying I hated it but I just didn't get that "thrill" that I often get now.
    Set little goals and keep at it! One day it will click and it will be amazing!
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 3yrs now. Normal run is 3mi and long run is 4-10 (so far) depending on what I'm training for. I ALWAYS hate the first 15min, every single run! It's hard! The next 15min is OK and it starts getting GREAT after that 30min. It takes that long for my mind to settle down, to let go, to get out of my own way. And only THEN do I love it and then the real magic begins. :)
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    It took me about 3 months to like running, when I did it. I kinda fell off the bandwagon in that respect and need to get back on.

The main reason I began to like running was because there was a point where, after the initial rust in the beginning, I could go on forever, and I felt great knowing I could run for a long time. I kept getting discouraged because after maybe half a mile to a mile I would always get a side stitch. But yeah, that day when I passed that hurdle and felt as if I could run forever, that was a great feeling.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I already have other things I love to do thank goodness. I love the elliptical and arc trainer and I LOVE LOVE LOVE weight training. Running is getting better, I just hope to start to really like it. I spend my summers in Montana where I don't have access to equipment. I do a lot of hiking, walking, and horseback riding, but I'm hoping to become a runner to enjoy some of the beauty while I exercise.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Every time I run, I love mile 1, hate mile 2 all the way until mile 3. Then it gets awesome. Every single time I go out.
    I'm editing this to add that I used Couch to 5k, and that made it easier, more fun, and a really obvious way to see progress which kept me motivated when the runs were hard. Just ran my first 5k today and destroyed my average time I've done on my solo runs.
    I'm the exact same way! I HATE it until I'm 3-4 miles in.