How long until you enjoyed running?

Options

Replies

• Help4nb
    Help4nb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It probably took me about 9 months to really love running. I enjoyed and loved the benefits. I loved the "me" time listening to my music and I loved how I felt after I was done running. I loved the way my body felt better and more toned and I was starting to "look" different.
    ^^ as above, love the ME time, love listening to music love the results! but i loved it from day one and i could only run for 60 seconds and now up to 10 mins in 9 weeks. cant wait to see how far i go!! cycling is my enemy i have tried it a few times and i never enjoyed it so stopped , i have plenty of other exercises i enjoy . keep trying until you find something you LOVE!
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I think it took me months and months before I enjoyed running...I still don't enjoy it as much on a treadmill as much as I do outside. I love being out in the fresh air and challenging myself to go just a little further each time. I feel the adrenaline rush of that huge accomplishment of completing my run. It is hard, but it is satisfying. Hard to explain in words. But I LOVE running!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Usually the first 1.5 miles is mentally tough for me. I keep thinking about wanting to stop and how this sucks. Once I get past that I feel amazing! I look forward to earning the bling and having people ask me how the hell I can run 39.3 miles ;-) its fun to do things others say they can't do.

You'll have a blast at the color run! Best part is its a non timed event so you can enjoy it!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've been running for several years. I don't love it and don't hate it. It's like brushing my teeth, just something I need to do. Well, I do love the feeling I have when I'm done. It lasts for hours.
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've been running for around 2 years I think. I still don't really enjoy it, but I really love the feeling of being able to do it. I love feeling the accomplishment after I've done a run. That's what keeps me doing it. I'd like to really enjoy doing it, but I enjoy the end result.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You enjoy it when you finish, and when you run a race. The rest of the time it's good to enjoy it with someone else. I don't know if you run inside or out, but find some scenic places.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I still don't know if I enjoy it. However, I know that I enjoy the rest of my life more when I'm running regularly. It makes me feel better physically and psychologically, gets me out of the house, etc.. I definitely enjoy the results, too. I think maintaining the progress I've made so far is the #1 thing that keeps me running.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say that I LOVE running, but I can say that I HATE the first mile and then do not mid it as much after that.
  • thatonepersonfromtheinternet
    Options
    It took me a few tries. Growing up I hated it, only because my school tended to only encourage those who were naturally good at it. My advice is to start with a positive attitude and remind yourself that you can do it. Personally, it took such a short time because I realized that I've always had a runner in me - I just needed the right mindset.
    Now I do it to challenge myself, and as a stress relief. I run about 2 miles everyday and can get to an 8 minute mile.
    As for you discovering your love for it, I'd suggest starting slow. If you start trying to get a 6 minute mile, you'll be discouraged so try fast walking then work your way up to running. Good luck :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say that I LOVE running, but I can say that I HATE the first mile and then do not mid it as much after that.
    I'm the same way. I think it just takes me that long to get into my comfortable pace. You'd think that wouldn't be necessary EVERY single time you run though.
  • kaitlynelkins9
    kaitlynelkins9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I didn't enjoy running until I was able to run three miles without stopping. Once I hit that point, it was like a switch, and I was hooked. Once I was able to discover my comfortable pace and venture away from the thought of being out of breath and feeling like I was going to keel over any moment, it really began to feel invigorating, and I began to look forward to each new run. Sometimes, the first couple of miles are still uncomfortable, and occasionally I never catch my stride, but by and large, running is such an edifying and satisfying experience for me. And being involved in races brings tons of excitement as well.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Running is like house cleaning. I don't do it because I enjoy it--I do it because I enjoy the results.
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    After 10 5ks, 2 10ks and 2 half-marathons over the span of 11 months, I can honestly say....I still hate running.

I feel awaeome when I complete a distance that I never thought possible, but that is not enough for me these days. I wish I loved it though. Some people obviously never get to that point.
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I ran when i was in the service years ago and liked it. Then in my fitness journey during this past year, I started running again, within the first month i was hooked and now I crave it . I have two half marathons booked this year and am running in the chicago marathon in October. I also am always looking for running friends as well.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Its a love/hate relationship. I love how I feel afterwards and I love running in events but I despise running on treadmills so if its that cold out, thats when I take a break from running. Some days I have to really talk myself into running around the neighborhood or running just a little longer, though.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I realized I was trying to go too fast that I started to enjoy it. Once I slowed my pace to allow myself to breathe, I was able to really enjoy it. It's hard to enjoy something painful that sucks the wind out of you. :laugh:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I've been running off and on for years. Still hate it. It's not magical for everyone. Give it a couple more months for your body to adapt to it. If you still can't stand it, run your race and find an activity you like. Exercise should be enjoyable

This! I don't like "running", like at a steady pace, for distance. BUT I've found I do enjoy sprinting a bit!
  • gowanna27
    gowanna27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    took a little while, i found that it helped when my flatmate who was a really fit runner told me that the first 10 mins always feels bad, fter that i always had a rule that if after 15 mins i was hating it i could stop which helped motivate me to get out when i didn't feel like it and she was right, once you've done 10 mins it was very seldom i didn't continue and finish my run
  • Fitkorry
    Fitkorry Posts: 29
    Options
    I started the Couch to 10k over 3 weeks ago and I'm hooked already! I look forward to every run as it sets new goals and targets each time. I would definitely suggest this for anyone that's looking to get into running!
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    In 2010 I was 235lbs and 31% body fat and realised I had to change when I saw a photo of myself. I used to do sports and Im a qualified sport scientist. Since then I've tried to get into running big time, with a combination of strength training using my knowledge. I used to find it really hard and the only way to really enjoy it was to wire myself up with music each time to pass the minutes.

However, the last few days I've cracked it. Today for the first time I ran sub 8 minutes/mile (albeit over only two miles). This was a target I have had in my mind since 2010 and the rush of confidence/celebration/adrenaline I got was like nothing I've experienced before. More importantly, I did this without music which is a real barrier overcome. As much as I love music I didnt want to be cheating myself through runs and not giving enough effort.

I now weight 194lbs with 19% body fat. For anyone reading this who is currently where I used to be, just never give in and always keep your focus on your goals.