Beef Jerky anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No, personally, the store bought jerky has way too much sodium, and some flavours have a lot of sugar.

I'd like to make my own beef jerky some day.
    There are some small "mom and pop" jerky types without sugar (and MSG and other preservatives) and with less sodium. My town has a few jerky speciality stores with some lower sodium options.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I friggin LOVE beef/buffalo/deer jerky! If that stuff is anywhere near my husband or I, we devour it like it is our last meal. Could live off the stuff. <.<
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with jerky or peanut butter. Just don't eat 2 bucketfuls of each and you'll be fine. Both are perfectly acceptable protein delivery systems.

Why do people always have to get so extreme and vilify food that somebody else told them is "bad"?

Also, the idea of living in an industrialized country and sucking in polluted air every day while harping on an "optimized" or "clean" diet is kinda ... well, it doesn't make sense to me. "Clean" and "optimized" sound great in theory but fact is we're up to our eyeballs in less-than-ideal living conditions all the time, yet miraculously here we still are.

Just do the best you can and strive for balance and mostly nutritious, and you'll be fine. Your body is perfectly capable of doing alright under suboptimal circumstances.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I think beef jerky is not a healthy choice. High in sat fats.
    A great source of protein: non-fat/1% cottage cheese and legumes. Cheap and healthy.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'd eat, probably, if it looked more appetizing in the store (no way am I drying my own).

Would def buy local, if I could find it:

"South African tests show mislabeled jerky contains horse, pork, beef and kangaroo"

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/03/06/south-african-tests-show-mislabeled-jerky-contains-horse-pork-beef-and-kangaroo/