Cardio > Strength training

Options
I keep seeing all these post about how strength training is more effective than cardio for Calorie burning.
NO, its not!

If your goal is to lose fat.
Cardio

If your goal is to build muscle
Strength train

http://jap.physiology.org/content/113/12/1831.abstract

"balancing time commitments against health benefits, it appears that aerobic training is the optimal mode of exercise for reducing fat mass and body mass, while a program including resistance training is needed for increasing lean mass in middle-aged, overweight/obese individuals."

Obviously diet is more important than cardio or strength training for weight loss.

Replies

• ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I need to do both :(
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I need both

I cant see in that were it considered just the time you spent training, or if it included time after (up to 48 hours) the initial training.

As you burn at a higher rate after strength training, where as cardio you only really burn while doing it.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing all these post about how strength training is more effective than cardio for Calorie burning.
    NO, its not!

Cardio

Strength train

Pawn-star-cool-story-bro.jpg
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    I do up to 3000 push ups a week.
    3-4 body pumps
    3-4 spin classes..

I mix it up some weeks with more cardio than strength and also the other way around more strength.
    I will tell you the biggest difference in my body is the push ups.. So many compliments on my arms
    since 9 weeks ago adding so many push ups to my weekly routine.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Mixing up ">" and "<" is a common error. Don't sweat it.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Do 5x5 with a 30 second rest and compare the total time with the same amount of time of cardio.

Iam assuming you're suggesting HIIT/crossfit style training is more effective at burning calories than Cardio alone. I wouldnt doubt it, the main problem with that is much harder to keep up the pace.

congratulations on weight loss.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Cardio

Strength train
    That's funny, I cardio-ed my life away and at the end I was still squishy. Started strength training and now I have thighs of steel. With that said there's benefits to both. Cardio for heart, lungs, and calorie deficit, strength for the same but also limbs, strength, and looks. I'll keep both.

And you kind of got your comment wrong:
    To lose fat you need a calorie deficit. Cardio is great at that, but not necessary. To keep a higher ratio of fat loss compared to muscle, do strength training.
    To build muscle, you need a calorie surplus. To not gain so much fat, you need strength training.
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options
    [/quote]
    Pawn-star-cool-story-bro.jpg
    [/quote]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe00gRuHyhYDZiMz27zEuMYu38N_D0tdAHby_rsM2G9UA9VkP1
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Actually, long term, it is.

Increased muscle mass = higher metabolic burn = more calories burned sitting on your butt.

Cardio burns more calories in the short term, but not in the long term.

That being said, I enjoy both, so don't get all cardio ninja on me.
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options

Increased muscle mass = higher metabolic burn = more calories burned sitting on your butt.

Any research to back that up?

In theory that makes sense but iam assuming the more muscle you put on, would affect satiety.

just a counter point, not sure if its true or not.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options

QFT!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    NO, its not!

Cardio

Strength train

http://jap.physiology.org/content/113/12/1831.abstract

"balancing time commitments against health benefits, it appears that aerobic training is the optimal mode of exercise for reducing fat mass and body mass, while a program including resistance training is needed for increasing lean mass in middle-aged, overweight/obese individuals."

Obviously diet is more important than cardio or strength training for weight loss.

Except people aren't saying the RT is burning more calories than AT. They are suggesting the RT is much more effective at maintaining your lean body mas.s. And the more lean body mass you have, the more calories you burn and the tighter your body will be. Also, unless you are obese, you will not build any new lean body mass. In overweight or normal weight individuals a caloric surplus will be reqiured as well as a good RT program to increase lbm but while your body is in a catabolic state, it won't happen.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    cardio > strength training for weight loss

strength training > cardio for body image/bodyfat %

When people say, "I want to lose weight." They really mean, "I want to lose fat."

strength training > cardio
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

Damn, Lea got to it before me again. :laugh:

Did cardio alone for a year, saw minimal results.

Been lifting 2 months plus minimal cardio (Zumba twice a week, because it's fun), seeing quite lovely results.

Science or broscience, I know what my body is responding to and what is working.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    For me I have done both. While cardio helped me lose fat it also helped me lose lean muscle at the same time. I dropped all cardio for 2 months, picked up the weights still dropped the fat while maintaining lean muscle.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I barely do cardio outside walking

*Look at results

Not bad....not bad at all
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

For the win. Glad you cleared that up!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes cardio generally burns more in the actual session, which would make it easier to lose weight, but a combination of both would most likely be optimal for someone wanting to lose body fat.

By including strength training you hold onto more of your muscle, making more of the weight loss actual fat. I'm sure a lot of people here would agree that they don't want to lose muscle, or end up "skinny fat". It's not all about the number on the scale, people care about what they look like as well and I've seen so many complain that they've lost the weight they want but still look "squishy"
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options
    cardio > strength training for weight loss

strength training > cardio for body image/bodyfat %

When people say, "I want to lose weight." They really mean, "I want to lose fat."

strength training > cardio

study was about fat loss not weight loss