Cardio > Strength training

Options

Replies

• AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    for the record, the only cardio i do is basketball and i hate almost all cardio.

I love RT but for purely fat loss AT is more effective.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Do both
  • PrettyandPolished
    PrettyandPolished Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing all these post about how strength training is more effective than cardio for Calorie burning.
    NO, its not!

If your goal is to lose fat.
    Cardio

If your goal is to build muscle
    Strength train

Pawn-star-cool-story-bro.jpg

This just made my life....
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit helped me lose weight, cardio kept me from gaining it back, BUT strength training is giving me a bikini body that cardio never could.

Sorry cardio, you know I love you, but I'm not IN love with you.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I used to agree with the OP until I became 128 pounds with 30% body fat and was still mushy as hell wearing a size 4 (I think the term "skinny fat" was used when the inventor of the word saw me).

I gained weight back to 150 pounds for various reasons a couple of years ago and then did the exact opposite of the OP and am now in the best shape of my life with better lab results at the doctor, more strength, and hella better looking...

But I guess that's just "broscience" because it is anecdotal and my life isn't in PubMed.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Do intense, short workouts of both.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I suggest including both. I have found myself focusing more on weight training, but I think that is because I just enjoy it more.

Also, when i was just eating at a deficit and doing cardio...I was losing the scale #, but not really inches. I lost 60lbs and went from just a size 22/24 to 18. Since around Nov/Dec..I've included and focused more and more on weight training and have gone from a size 18 to 14. Actually, I can squeeze into a size 12 now...but not officially claiming that NSV yet...lol.

Edited to correct typos
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    But I guess that's just "broscience" because it is anecdotal and my life isn't in PubMed.

pretty much this^

jk

maybe you could indulge us a little more on how you lost the weight the second time and why you stopped at 128lbs the first time. or anything else relevant
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    well. I looked like crap when I did cardio.

I smartened up and started lifting weights and I am much more pleased with the way I look.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    For strength training I lift weights. For cardio I lift weights faster.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Why does it ALWAYS have to be one or the other? Why can't people accept that BOTH are necessary for overall health and fitness?
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Guide me oh faceless wonder because I obviously know nothing.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing all these post about how strength training is more effective than cardio for Calorie burning.
    NO, its not!

If your goal is to lose fat.
    Cardio

If your goal is to build muscle
    Strength train

http://jap.physiology.org/content/113/12/1831.abstract

"balancing time commitments against health benefits, it appears that aerobic training is the optimal mode of exercise for reducing fat mass and body mass, while a program including resistance training is needed for increasing lean mass in middle-aged, overweight/obese individuals."

Obviously diet is more important than cardio or strength training for weight loss.

Except people aren't saying the RT is burning more calories than AT. They are suggesting the RT is much more effective at maintaining your lean body mas.s. And the more lean body mass you have, the more calories you burn and the tighter your body will be. Also, unless you are obese, you will not build any new lean body mass. In overweight or normal weight individuals a caloric surplus will be reqiured as well as a good RT program to increase lbm but while your body is in a catabolic state, it won't happen.

This is exactly what I came in here to say.

Thank you for putting it so eloquently.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Pawn-star-cool-story-bro.jpg
    [/quote]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe00gRuHyhYDZiMz27zEuMYu38N_D0tdAHby_rsM2G9UA9VkP1
    [/quote]

Oh you two. You almost made me spit water on my keyboard.
    <3
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit > either for weight loss. Strength training to make weight loss = fat loss.
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Why does it ALWAYS have to be one or the other? Why can't people accept that BOTH are necessary for overall health and fitness?

agreed.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    For strength training I lift weights. For cardio I lift weights faster.
    :heart:
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options

I agree, they're both good for you.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I lost weight doing cardio, lost inches doing strength. I like doing both for variety and results.