CNN coverage of Steubenville rape case

Options
Chubbyhulagirl
Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/17/cnn-grieves-that-guilty-verdict-ruined-promising-lives-of-steubenville-rapists/

This is truly disgusting and amazing in a sick, sad way. After all this time, the world and society really hasn't come very far.
In addition, this makes me so angry since IMO, a judge should be held to a higher standard:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/03/18/steubenville_rape_case_judge_advises_teens_to_watch_how_they_record_things.html

If you haven't heard about this case you can google it and here is the video made by Anonymous Knightsec in response to the alleged cover up attempted by the townspeople:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8kKou9a89w

Replies

• Chubbyhulagirl
    Options
    Bump in case someone on here may actually be interested...
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I wanted to reach in my screen and slap the stupid out of those people.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Options
    I wanted to reach in my screen and slap the stupid out of those people.

Thank you!
    I could not stop shaking my head in horrified amazement! The fact that they kept emphasizing "these promising athletes lives are over" and blatantly stating how sad it is instead of talking about what they did and how they were tried as children and not as adults is mind boggling. Who in their right mind looks at this and says those guys are the victims?

ETA: And what if they weren't such promising athletes? What if they had been the average student in band or math club or any other student not on the football team?
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Wow I just read it! It does sadden you that technology improves but does not mean society morales or standards does!
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    No, just no....:noway:
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Options
    They ruined their own lives. This should also serve as a lesson to young women. Get ****f4ced at a party you are likely to be taken advantage of.

I dislike when people place blame on the victim in that way. As if they deserve to be treated a certain way by the way they dress, talk, etc.

Getting extremely drunk is negative for any person to do, male or female, and should be avoided but when you are in high school and are in the crowd that experiments with drugs and/or alcohol (not all high schoolers do) you might not have learned that drinking in excess leads to very bad things (majority of the time) even if it is as small as the mother of all hangovers the next day.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    They ruined their own lives. This should also serve as a lesson to young women. Get ****f4ced at a party you are likely to be taken advantage of.

I dislike when people place blame on the victim in that way. As if they deserve to be treated a certain way by the way they dress, talk, etc.

Getting extremely drunk is negative for any person to do, male or female, and should be avoided but when you are in high school and are in the crowd that experiments with drugs and/or alcohol (not all high schoolers do) you might not have learned that drinking in excess leads to very bad things (majority of the time) even if it is as small as the mother of all hangovers the next day.

Did I say she deserved to be raped? She made a poor choice to get drunk at a party with her peers. As a result she got raped. Lesson learned.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

Did I say she deserved to be raped? She made a poor choice to get drunk at a party with her peers. As a result she got raped. Lesson learned.

She didn't get raped as a result of getting drunk at a party.
    Lots of people get drunk at parties and don't get raped. That is NOT "lesson learned".
    Whether drunk or sober, she has no control over other people's actions.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    All I can say is wow...that is incredible that they would be so concerned after finding the boys GUILTY that THEIR lives are being ruined...
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    They should be castrated and burned at the stake. But I also need to ask where were this girl's parents???? So sad on so many levels.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

That's kind of f**ked up. She didn't get raped as a result of getting drunk at a party.
    Lots of people get drunk at parties and don't get raped. That is NOT "lesson learned".

^ This
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

God I hope dont have daughters (or sons either for that matter). I've been drunk at a party & I haven't been raped, so it doesn't seem that my "poor choice" at a party led to the result of being raped.

The difference between my scenario & this girl's isn't one of alcohol use. It's one that is entirely perpetuated by the criminals in this case, who were ultimately found guilty and punished for their actions (though not nearly harshly enough).

Someone being drunk and executing any kind of poor judgment/somehow being "out of it" should not make them a target for rape and humiliation. If I were sleeping and unconscious, would it be OK if my fiancee raped me?

Seriously, people...

Instead, maybe it's that the "poor choice" by a bunch of arrogant, morally-devoid teenagers with absentee parents is what caused the girl to be raped.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

She DID NOT get raped as a result of getting drunk. She got raped because a group of boys behaved like uncivilized monsters dragging her from location to location each time she threw up, taking pictures of their fluids on her and talking about her like she was a piece of wood. She got raped because of bad company, not because she got drunk.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

That's kind of f**ked up. She didn't get raped as a result of getting drunk at a party.

She got raped because she lost control of her own actions....by being drunk. I'm not saying she deserved it. Sh1t happens. Especially when you make poor decisions.
  • silky_kitten
    silky_kitten Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    *backs slowly out of this thread, before it gets ugly*
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand train wreck in 3....2.....1.....
  • chuckponygirl
    Options
    Getting in now....will read after work, if......
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Also, what the hell is with making athletes seem like demi-gods? They are athletes and that's about it. They happen to be good at something other kids are not. Focus on teaching your teenagers about how to live like regular people in this regular world. Elevating them to the status of heroes will one day lead them to figure out how to live like prisoners in prison.

Why the hell does CNN make it sound like the fact that they have to be registered as sex offenders is a bad thing? "the most severe thing with these young men is being labeled as registered sex offenders. That label is now placed on them by Ohio law." This is more severe than what that young woman went through? We live in a ****ed up world.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Options

I didn't mean to say that you said she deserved to be raped. I said statements like the one you wrote imply that a woman should expect to be sexually assaulted if they get intoxicated and its their responsibility to not do that. As in, we should be teaching our daughters how not to get taken advantage of instead of teaching our sons to not take advantage of intoxicated females. I get what you're saying because I do think getting ****faced typically leads to negative outcomes but getting raped is not necessarily in your control sober or drunk because that is the decision of your attacker. Things that are in your sole control like driving while drunk, losing your personal items, becoming aggressive or emotional, feeling horrible the next day, etc. Those are lessons to be learned when drinking in excess

Your statement should read:
    "She made a poor choice to get drunk at a party with scum people who were not her friends and did not care about her well being. The boys around her were the type that think taking advantage of an intoxicated girl is fun. As a result she got raped."
This discussion has been closed.