CNN coverage of Steubenville rape case

Options

Replies

• Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    As a person who was raped I can tell you that these little *kitten* deserve everything they got, and they have NO room to complain, or cry about being ruined. They are 16 and 17. They know the difference between right and wrong, and IMHO they knew damn well what they were doing and what COULD happen if they were caught. They were stupid, they got caught, now they can deal with the after affects.

I have no sympathy for someone that does this.

What about the poor girl who will have YEARS of mental torture because of what happened? They never focus on her, her life is just as ruined, if not more so. Being raped Fcuks with your life in so many ways.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    They ruined their own lives. This should also serve as a lesson to young women. Get ****f4ced at a party you are likely to be taken advantage of.

I dislike when people place blame on the victim in that way. As if they deserve to be treated a certain way by the way they dress, talk, etc.

Getting extremely drunk is negative for any person to do, male or female, and should be avoided but when you are in high school and are in the crowd that experiments with drugs and/or alcohol (not all high schoolers do) you might not have learned that drinking in excess leads to very bad things (majority of the time) even if it is as small as the mother of all hangovers the next day.

Did I say she deserved to be raped? She made a poor choice to get drunk at a party with her peers. As a result she got raped. Lesson learned.

That's kind of f**ked up. She didn't get raped as a result of getting drunk at a party.
    Lots of people get drunk at parties and don't get raped. That is NOT "lesson learned".
    Whether drunk or sober, she has no control over other people's actions.

She got raped because she lost control of her own actions....by being drunk. I'm not saying she deserved it. Sh1t happens. Especially when you make poor decisions.

If I'm sleeping, I'm not necessarily in control of my own actions. When I'm under anesthesia, I'm not necessarily in control either.

Do I deserve to be raped then? Does "sh1t happen" then too?
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I stand by my original statement. I'm entitled to my opinion just like you are entitled to your politically correct mumbo jumbo.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    They ruined their own lives. This should also serve as a lesson to young women. Get ****f4ced at a party you are likely to be taken advantage of.

I dislike when people place blame on the victim in that way. As if they deserve to be treated a certain way by the way they dress, talk, etc.

Getting extremely drunk is negative for any person to do, male or female, and should be avoided but when you are in high school and are in the crowd that experiments with drugs and/or alcohol (not all high schoolers do) you might not have learned that drinking in excess leads to very bad things (majority of the time) even if it is as small as the mother of all hangovers the next day.

Did I say she deserved to be raped? She made a poor choice to get drunk at a party with her peers. As a result she got raped. Lesson learned.

That's kind of f**ked up. She didn't get raped as a result of getting drunk at a party.
    Lots of people get drunk at parties and don't get raped. That is NOT "lesson learned".

She got raped because she lost control of her own actions....by being drunk. I'm not saying she deserved it. Sh1t happens. Especially when you make poor decisions.

wow.

I mean, dang.

I been drunk billions of times.

And every single time, I didn't get raped.

So...how is this because "SHE" made a bad decision????

The bad decision was expecting these boys to not be rapists. I personally would hate to live in a world where I'm expected to assume men are rapists just because they are men.

You are so wrong to even put partial blame on her for this.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    As a person who was raped I can tell you that these little *kitten* deserve everything they got, and they have NO room to complain, or cry about being ruined. They are 16 and 17. They know the difference between right and wrong, and IMHO they knew damn well what they were doing and what COULD happen if they were caught. They were stupid, they got caught, now they can deal with the after affects.

What about the poor girl who will have YEARS of mental torture because of what happened? They never focus on her, her life is just as ruined, if not more so. Being raped Fcuks with your life in so many ways.

I'm very sorry about what happened to you. Very happy to see your progress here!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I stand by my original statement. I'm entitled to my opinion just like you are entitled to your politically correct mumbo jumbo.

I am also entitled to think You, sir, are a part of the problem.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

I am also entitled to think You, sir, are a part of the problem.

This!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

wow.

I mean, dang.

The bad decision was expecting these boys to not be rapists. I personally would hate to live in a world where I'm expected to assume men are rapists just because they are men.

"Judge Thomas Lipps announced on Sunday that Trent Mays, 17, and Ma’lik Richmond, 16, would be given a maximum sentence after being found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl while she was unconscious. "

While she was unconscious. :noway:

" 'There’s always that moment of just — lives are destroyed,” Callan remarked. “But in terms of what happens now, the most severe thing with these young men is being labeled as registered sex offenders. That label is now placed on them by Ohio law.'

'That will haunt them for the rest of their lives.' "

How about, don't rape drunk, unconscious girls, and you won't have to live with the sex offender label. :angry:
    There. Lesson learned.
  • tinak33
    Options

I feel your pain. :flowerforyou:
    Still dealing with after effects of my own experience...... It never goes away.
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The portrayal of these " promising young men" made me want to vomit. promising young men dont rape. Our society is seriously flawed that CNN portrayed their anguish. anguish. They raped a young girl who will deal with the trauma all her life. She didn't chose to be raped. Those boys chose to be rapists.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    medium_cancerboy.jpg

CNN became a joke a long time ago.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

I don't care if she was the town wh*re. I don't care if she slept with every other guy on the team. Rape is rape. I wish those two guys had been tried as adults and received the maximum sentence.

Don't try to place the blame on the victim.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    How about don't drink until you are unconscious and you wont increase your chances of being raped. There. Sh1t happens.
    except being drunk has nothing to do with it - how many sober women are raped? how many joggers are abducted and taken advantage of? it shouldnt be a matter of women having to assume all men are rapists and preparing for it (though being aware of surroundings never hurts) - it should be a matter of men not thinking they can take advantage of women, in any situation.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

wow.

I mean, dang.

"Judge Thomas Lipps announced on Sunday that Trent Mays, 17, and Ma’lik Richmond, 16, would be given a maximum sentence after being found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl while she was unconscious. "

While she was unconscious. :noway:

" 'There’s always that moment of just — lives are destroyed,” Callan remarked. “But in terms of what happens now, the most severe thing with these young men is being labeled as registered sex offenders. That label is now placed on them by Ohio law.'

'That will haunt them for the rest of their lives.' "

How about, don't rape drunk, unconscious girls, and you won't have to live with the sex offender label. :angry:
    There. Lesson learned.

How about don't drink until you are unconscious and you wont increase your chances of being raped. There. Sh1t happens.

As much as I hate saying this I do see where you are coming from. However; it is not an excuse, and you cannot put blame on her. Also, who says it wouldn't have happened had she been coherent and able to say no either? But then again you might be the type to say "she was dressed like a slut and asked for it" kind of person too idk...

The owness is on the 2 young men that chose to have sex with a young woman who was unconscious.

Rape is never OK, no matter how much you want to say *kitten* happens... it doesn't just happen. Is there a lesson to be learned? Sure there is and I really hope that at least one person learns something but the statement *kitten* happens it pushing it a little far.
  • tinak33
    Options
    *sigh*

Victims of rape already think it's their fault. Even when the whole world says it's not, they still feel that some part of them is to blame.
    "shouldn't have gone to a party", "should have hung with different people", "should have carried pepper spray when walking to my car", "shouldn't have flirted", "shouldn't have had that drink", etc....

Regardless of what she (or he, it happens to men and women) thinks in her head, she can only control so much.

And a 16 yr old at a party will NOT know her limit when it comes to alcohol consumption and will NOT say no to a party with her peers.
    That doesn't make her responsible for the actions of her peers. That doesn't mean she should never go out drinking with her friends again because she will never know what they "might" do. That doesn't mean she should never touch alcohol again because that ONE time she got drunk, passed out and got raped.

And getting raped at a party while unconscious is in NO way her fault.
    Getting drunk, passing out and waking up with her car keys or phone lost, is her fault.
    Getting raped is NOT.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    What in the world is going on in here?
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    except being drunk has nothing to do with it - how many sober women are raped? how many joggers are abducted and taken advantage of? it shouldnt be a matter of women having to assume all men are rapists and preparing for it (though being aware of surroundings never hurts) - it should be a matter of men not thinking they can take advantage of women, in any situation.

This thread is about the Steubenville case. Not about joggers and other rape cases.
  • BristleCone43
    Options
    Rape is NEVER acceptable! EVER!!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    She was hardly "raped". Sexually violated, absolutely. Legally, she was raped. But they didnt even have sex with her. Thankfully these two kids were minors and only got a short sentence...it would have been ridiculous if they received a full adult sentence for what they did. They deserve a couple years. They got it. And no I am not excusing what they did...just commenting on their crime and the verdict.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Rape is NEVER acceptable! EVER!!
    Thank you!!
This discussion has been closed.