I can't do push ups

Options
124»

Replies

• mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I did girl pushups for awhile, now I am doing real ones, did 8 in a row last night ( big improvement for me!) the more you do them the easier they will be!!

Just keep at it!
  • jerezita
    jerezita Posts: 1
    Options
    You need to work on your upper back strength. Do as many as you can every day, but push yourself. I couldn't one either, & now I can at least do 10 :) It all takes time and practice.
  • HelenaHanbasket
    Options
    Same here. 1 day at a time. I do lower elevations than before and make it harder but I have tendinitis in my right elbow. Just gradually put more weight on the arms. It WILL happen!!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I measured a pushup once on my scale... at around 159lbs with my hands on the scale and in pushup position, the scale said around 100 lbs.

That's the equivalent of bench pressing about 100 lbs, or 2 x 50 lb dumbbells. Say we had a 120 lb woman, that would be like bench pressing 80 lbs, or 2 x 40 lb dumbbells.

From what you're telling me the weights you're using are *very* light. Most likley too light. It's a myth that women should lift the 5-15lb weights for high reps. If you want to get stronger, lift heavy for 6-8 reps, 3 sets per exercise. You will actually get stronger and more toned this way, and you will be able to work your way to many pushups, nevermind just one.

Anyhow, that's probably why you're lifting your weights just fine but not able to do a pushup.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Try a different modification like against the back of your couch or a chair until you can build up to the "regular" push up. Girl push ups don't work most of the muscles like a regular push up does.

^^ This

Don't bother with "girl push-ups" because they will never help you build up to a real push-up. Use an incline instead, so that you are truly working your arms.
  • annascrapper
    annascrapper Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I will try some of these suggestions cause after 2.5 rounds of Insanity and now P90X I still cant do a push up.
  • 3ddierocksteady
    Options
    Start with knee push ups until you build up the strength. Get the 100 push up program and you'll improve quickly!
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Do them more often.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just keep working at it....you will build more upper body strength eventually...just don't give up!

It's also your core that needs to be strong enough to do push ups
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I set a goal on 7/26/11 to do just one flippin' pushup! (I had a radical double mastectomy on 12/20/10) and even though I couldn't do one before then, everytime I tried after that surgery if was like my chest was ripping apart. But I REALLY WANTED TO DO A REAL ONE!

So - On the adjustable smith machine or squat rack (When it's not in use for it's intended purposes) I worked with the bar at chest level and did sets on that until failure. Then I'd move it down a notch and work on that.

At work I'd use a window sill or my desk and go to failure.

I also worked on my shoulder muscles, back, and core muscles to support that ONE FLIPPIN PUSHUP!

On 3/16/13 - I finally DID IT and I DID TWO! I could have worked hard and made this happen sooner, absolutely I could have but it doesn't make the reaching of this goal less sweet. My new goal is to do five in a row and I'm working on pull ups. I just want one.

Work all of the muscles that are engaged and support a pushup - You CAN and WILL do this if you want it bad enough! Go Get 'Um!
  • HelenaHanbasket
    Options
    Added to my list of people I ADMIRE!!!!
    I set a goal on 7/26/11 to do just one flippin' pushup! (I had a radical double mastectomy on 12/20/10) and even though I couldn't do one before then, everytime I tried after that surgery if was like my chest was ripping apart. But I REALLY WANTED TO DO A REAL ONE!

So - On the adjustable smith machine or squat rack (When it's not in use for it's intended purposes) I worked with the bar at chest level and did sets on that until failure. Then I'd move it down a notch and work on that.

At work I'd use a window sill or my desk and go to failure.

I also worked on my shoulder muscles, back, and core muscles to support that ONE FLIPPIN PUSHUP!

On 3/16/13 - I finally DID IT and I DID TWO! I could have worked hard and made this happen sooner, absolutely I could have but it doesn't make the reaching of this goal less sweet. My new goal is to do five in a row and I'm working on pull ups. I just want one.

Work all of the muscles that are engaged and support a pushup - You CAN and WILL do this if you want it bad enough! Go Get 'Um!
  • karenner5
    Options
    Try starting with wall push ups to build up your arm strength first. I do 3 sets of 12 about 30 seconds apart every day. Once you build up strength you can move down to floor trying knee bent push ups then move into straight leg push ups. Be patient you will succeed.