8 Cups of water a day... HOW?!

Options

Replies

• ashleyballam
    Options
    It's only 4 water bottles !!! :happy: (16.9oz)

I love water so I knock back like 5 or 6 a day . Try some crystal light & it doesn't even feel like water !
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My 32 oz Nalgene bottle is never out of my sight. After 3 years of living in a desert, it'd be weird to not drink two of those per day! I also don't drink pop and only have milk with dinner. It's definitely doable, though I agree that assuming you are otherwise well-hydrated it's probably not absolutely critical to hit 8 glasses every single day.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I try to keep track of my water every day, but honestly...other than my coffee in the morning, its all I drink. So, I'm constantly refilling my glass. Luckily, I like water so its not a problem for me. I think some days I get the "8" glasses but some days less.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    you'll be suprised but the more I drink the more I want. i've heard other people say the same thing. I have a 32 oz bottle that I use. 2 full is what I need a day but I alway fill it up lots more than that.
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I never seem to manage 8 cups of water a day, I get about three or four mainly because I drink around meal times. Even then it's things like tea or milk or juice... how people can drink eight glasses of water a day is beyond me. How'd you even fit it in? I have school and would be running out of classes all the time to pee! Am I the only one who finds this difficult??

Try the new Crystal Light Liquids no calories or sugar..just mix it in your water and your good to go...and if you drink your 8oz everyday your body will get use to it and you won't have to go the bathroom as much...well at least thats what happened with me.
    :blushing: :happy:
  • AprilBarkulis
    Options
    I do drink water But this is what I have learnd from the Mayo Clinic
    How much water do you need?

Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.

So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

What about the advice to drink eight glasses a day?

Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

You may need to modify your total fluid intake depending on how active you are, the climate you live in, your health status, and if you're pregnant or breast-feeding.
    Exercise. If you exercise or engage in any activity that makes you sweat, you need to drink extra water to compensate for the fluid loss. An extra 400 to 600 milliliters (about 1.5 to 2.5 cups) of water should suffice for short bouts of exercise, but intense exercise lasting more than an hour (for example, running a marathon) requires more fluid intake. How much additional fluid you need depends on how much you sweat during exercise, and the duration and type of exercise. During long bouts of intense exercise, it's best to use a sports drink that contains sodium, as this will help replace sodium lost in sweat and reduce the chances of developing hyponatremia, which can be life-threatening. Also, continue to replace fluids after you're finished exercising.
    Environment. Hot or humid weather can make you sweat and requires additional intake of fluid. Heated indoor air also can cause your skin to lose moisture during wintertime. Further, altitudes greater than 8,200 feet (2,500 meters) may trigger increased urination and more rapid breathing, which use up more of your fluid reserves.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • AprilBarkulis
    Options
    You may need to modify your total fluid intake depending on how active you are, the climate you live in, your health status, and if you're pregnant or breast-feeding.
    Exercise. If you exercise or engage in any activity that makes you sweat, you need to drink extra water to compensate for the fluid loss. An extra 400 to 600 milliliters (about 1.5 to 2.5 cups) of water should suffice for short bouts of exercise, but intense exercise lasting more than an hour (for example, running a marathon) requires more fluid intake. How much additional fluid you need depends on how much you sweat during exercise, and the duration and type of exercise. During long bouts of intense exercise, it's best to use a sports drink that contains sodium, as this will help replace sodium lost in sweat and reduce the chances of developing hyponatremia, which can be life-threatening. Also, continue to replace fluids after you're finished exercising.
    Environment. Hot or humid weather can make you sweat and requires additional intake of fluid. Heated indoor air also can cause your skin to lose moisture during wintertime. Further, altitudes greater than 8,200 feet (2,500 meters) may trigger increased urination and more rapid breathing, which use up more of your fluid reserves.
  • kosmo24
    kosmo24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    this is wha I drink now & love it and makes it easier to drink that amount of water per day.

Day Spa Apple Cinnamon Water- 0 calories

This entry was posted on April 1, 2012, in Metabolism Boosting Meals, Zero Calorie Drinks and tagged apple, cinnamon, Cooking, day spa, detox, Diet, lose weight by eating, metabolism boosting, recipe, tone tiki, water, weight loss.

Did you know both apples and cinnamon raise your metabolism?

When you drink as much water as I do (a gallon daily) you just get sick of it! So when that happens I change it up, I go to my Sodastream and make some fizzy water, or I make a Day Spa inspired water. I love Cucumber Lemon water and Lavender Mint, but today I wanted something sweet. Try your own with whatever you have in your fridge and comment below, share your creations with all of us.

Makes 2 liters, re-fill water 3-4 times before replacing apples and cinnamon.

INGREDIENTS:

1 Apple thinly sliced, I like Fugi but pick your favorite

1 Cinnamon Stick

DIRECTIONS:

Drop apple slices in the bottom of the pitcher (save a few to drop in your glass later) and then the cinnamon stick, cover with ice about 1/2 way through then with water. Place in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.

LASTS FOR 24 HOURS IN THE FRIDGE.

Nutritional Info:

Calories: 0

Fat: 0

Fiber: 0

Protein: 0

Carbs: 0
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    if youre not thirsty, dont drink.

Try drinking before you are thirsty. Feeling thirst shows you are already dehydrated.

Just drink your water. You don't have to drink 8 cups of pure water. Your body gets hydration from evrything you eat and drink.
  • ktownchik2005
    ktownchik2005 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a bottle that holds 4 cups of water. I fill it up in the morning and try to have it gone by lunch. And then I fill it up again. I just do it one bottle at a time. I also add a flavor packet to it. I like the propel because it has no calories and if it has sugar in it then it's minimal (I still log it though). I find it's easier for me to drink flavored water than plain water. But yeah, in the beginning I had to run to the bathroom a lot. In your case since you have school and can't really be running to the bathroom all the time, I'd just drink what I could. Some water is better than no water.
  • fuzzymop55
    fuzzymop55 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I never seem to manage 8 cups of water a day, I get about three or four mainly because I drink around meal times. Even then it's things like tea or milk or juice... how people can drink eight glasses of water a day is beyond me. How'd you even fit it in? I have school and would be running out of classes all the time to pee! Am I the only one who finds this difficult??

I stopped drinking juice and limit my milk because carbs and sugars. Now I drink about 6 or 7 20oz bottles of water I refill through out the day. Try the crystal light calorie free squeeze flavors for water. I sure do miss a glass of grape juice, but I don't miss that it always put me over on sugars. [not to mention I almost always drank my calories]
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I carry a gallon around with me every day to help keep me on pace.

HA! .... I'm not the only one ...

People at work look at me goofy .... so what! I work in a different city (their water is nasty) .... so I bring it from home.

Also, try keeping a Brita of Pur water filter pitcher in the fridge ...... really COLD water hits the spot
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Add things to your water! Lime, Lemon, Cucumbers.... They are all tasty in water.
    Try changing out your drinks - For example: If you drink 2 cokes a day replace one with water... (You also cut out some calories as well)

Good Luck!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    First off, yes, yes, yes...
    Just to highlight again ... MYTH :).
    Well, it's more like 8 cups of UNCAFFEINATED beverage.
    be careful with the tea...it's a diuretic and can make you lose your fluid.
    No problem with caffeine - by the time the diuretic affect was an issue, you'd have drunk plenty of water.
    Infact, the biggest diuretic part of tea is the water!

Further, it doesn't matter if you have tap water, orange juice, coke, mineral water, soup or some fruit - all will contain water and the amount of water they contain 'counts'.
    , than someone that eats a diet high in processed foods.
    Some processed foods are pretty high in water, as some 'unprocessed' foods are pretty low.

I've looked in to this a fair bit in the past - if anyone's got any research handy that contradicts it, I'd loved to see it as I couldn't find it when I looked before!
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Water consumption has been one of my toughest routines to establist and I'm still working on it. The only thing that's worked so far has been to get the Rubbermaid 64 oz. bottle (that's your 8 cups, right in one bottle). Fill it ones int he a.m. and make sure it's empty at some point during the day. If you're in class, go easy on the bottle during those hours and get the rest of it down during the rest of the day.

This is the one I have.... got it at Target for about $2.60. It stays on my desk - I fill it in the a.m. and I make sure I finish it before I leave for the day.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatName=Beverage&SubcatId=BeverageStorage&Prod_ID=RP091195

I use the 2 qt. (64 oz) one daily. I got the smaller, 1 qt one for the weekend, easier to run around doing errands with, just fill it twice. (also so I don't have to worry about remembering to take the other one home, or worry about forgettting to bring it back with me)
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a liter before lunch and repeat at least 4 or 5 times. I did not drink this much water 5 weeks ago but water makes everything better for me on the journey. I see there are alot of people on the thread saying you don't need that much (at least 8 glasses) but I have found that for me that is just not true. I'm sure there are some people who don't require at least 8 glasses but I'm not one of them. My hair skin and nails have VASTLY improved. My appetite is so much smaller, I have to remind myself to eat and I ate a whole lot before I began this change. I drink water around every meal, snack, workout, and most conversations. This was probably the easiest of my changes because I could feel the difference in a few hours. If your having a hard time, I would suggest an alarm or set time each day where you look at your water intake. If you're below your goal, grab a bottle and sip. Good luck!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I don't like water and I never feel thirsty so it is hard for me to get it in. I have found it sometimes helps me get into the habit of drinking water if I set an alarm on my phone to go off every half our and make myself take a drink then (making sure it is not just a sip, but actually like 3 gulps or whatever goal I've set for myself). I will also make deals with myself that I can't eat that cookie until I've drank half a glass of water, or something like that.

As for needing to pee, I've found the first couple days are the worst as far as needing to run to the bathroom, after that it seems to lessen.

As motivation, I have gone 3 weeks with no weight loss in the past and then I spend at least 3 of the 7 days of that fourth week drinking at least half my water (can rarely get more then that down, but I am only counting water - not milk and juice) and boom - down 5 lbs that week!

Maybe you'll never get to 8 glasses a day (which is a made up number anways), but keep trying and that is better then nothing!
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I love water, but I find it way easier to drink more if I use a straw! I drink WAY more that way! :D

Also, MIO water enhancers mmmm.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've also found I don't like cold water - everyone was always trying to get me to drink ice cold water, but I personally like it at room tempature a lot better. Maybe experiment with it a little - temp, ice, no ice, straw, lemon, cucumber, mint, etc etc
  • Tulipbirdy
    Options
    im like a duck, always drinking haha. i usually drink more then 8 cups. if you once start higher your amounts you'll soon get used to it, and cant stop drinking