For all the people who believe walking isn't exercise...

Options

Replies

• T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Walk a mile, run a mile burns the same calories. Anybody tells you different tell them to google it and then ignore anything they say.

Walkers are also far less likely to have injuries that will prevent them from walking.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I run and lift now, but I lost 40lbs initially, just by walking a few miles per day and staying fairly close to my cals/exercise cals. I'm getting ready to start walking again to get rid of the last stubborn 10.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Walking is awesome and so are you for the results you've achieved, well done!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    The first 50 pounds I lost are because I got up off by tushie and started walking!!!! Whoever said walking isn't exercise is clueless! Movement of any kind that gets your heart rate up for at least 20 minutes is considered exercise! BLAH...

Way to go OP. Keep up the great walks :drinker:
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Can someone show me where people on this site are saying that walking isn't exercise? I must be missing them.

Many people also say that we need to "MOVE". I never heard anyone ever say that "Moving" doesnt work or that "Moving" isnt exercise either. If it gets your butt off whatever apparatus that it appears to be glued to.....then thats a good thing!!
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My first 80 pounds came off from only walking.
  • evilmj31
    evilmj31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I prefer running but that is just me. I think Walking is wonderful way to exercise and lose weight. My boyfriend lost 40 lbs just by walking. I say you do what works for you and enjoy it. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
    I get lots of people giving me a hard time for running because there are so many injuries...yada yada. It does't matter what you do, someone will have something bad to say about it.

So keep on walking :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    seconded..i lost the bulk of my weight from long daily power walks... ignore folks who say that walking isnt as beneficial as more aggressive cardio exercises
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone care what you consider exercise or not? I have better things to do than judge people.... wait no I don't.

Walking = exercise. People who tell you different are haters.

..and they will hate.
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    W=F X D. You are correct. I learned that in 6th grade.
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I used to run, do step aerobics, ellipitcal and more until I suffered a knee injury. I now walk a good pace of 4.2 to 4.5 on the treadmill and a pace of 15:00 and under when walking outside. I can walk a mile in less than 15 minutues. I love walking! And believe me, you can burn some major calories with it too! I won't ever be able to run again either! So I will stick to walking the rest of my life! :happy:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I have previous knee problems and like you, I also can't engage in high impact cardio. I walk every day, not for as long as you, and not as quick as you, but that topped with healthy eating has meant I have lost 36lb and my blood pressure is finally in the healthy zone. I also noticed a vast improvement in my fitness; running up a set of stairs would leave me breathless beforehand. Anyone that says walking isn't good exercise is wrong.
  • lhgalant
    lhgalant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    before reading past your photo, I was thinking "dang, that's an impressive at rest heart rate" you go, girl!!! when I do cardio in the gym, I keep my treadmill inclined between 10-12 and walk. I burn just as many calories as if I interval my running, so why not make it a lesser impact on my joints, etc. I mean, we aren't getting any younger :-)
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I attend a gym and see people running on the treadmill and somehow I find it has never been for me. Maybe someday, but for the past few years I enjoy my 3.0 - 3.3 with a 3.0 incline to keep within my exercise goal. I don't check my heartrate, but I can truly say it
    has given me the extra I need to stay fit in my calorie range and enjoy the improvements my body thanks me for both physically and mentally. Of course it's exercise.........your moving and moving quickly. Your moving super quick, good for you and thanks for the post!
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    walking is a GREAT form of exercise! my dad at 72 used to walk every day for 2-3hrs and got into the best shape of his life at 72!!!
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting. I have always been hard core when it came to cardio exercise. Would run for no less than an hour. My favorite was seeking out the biggest steepest hill I could and tear it up! Loved to cardio dance with as much energy as I could and was an instructor.
    Then on October 4th, while instructing, I went to turn and "CRUNCH" there went my knee! I had surgery for large double tears in my cartilage. My knee is not the same. It still gets fluid in it. Crackles and pops. it' doesn't move right and I have to keep it wrapped all the time. My hard core days are over.
    I,ve gained 24lbs. I try to search the web for high intensity low impact ideas but mostly find exercise is geared toward young uninjured bodies. Things that I can't safely do anymore. and I'm not quite ready for the senior aqua aerobics yet. lol It's so disheartening.
    And I must admit. I use to be one of those that believed people need to "get over it" and give it what you got! Boy was I in for a rude awaking! Found out some injuries permanently change things. And the fitness world doesn't cater to the injured.
    Thanks for the great post and the great inspiration!
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!! I am, myself, a runner... but I absolutely believe that walking does the job just as well!! My mom struggles with her weight and cannot do vigorous workouts, but she walks! That's how she lost most of her weight in the beginning! (She needs to get back into it, but that's another story!) Good for you for standing firm about this and correcting the negativity associated with it!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Whether walking constitutes exercise depends on your level of fitness and the length and speed of the walk.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Can someone show me where people on this site are saying that walking isn't exercise? I must be missing them.
    Ditto. I was unaware of this belief.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely exercise and you can work up quite a sweat doing it too. There's a reason why Leslie Sansone has a great following. Not everyone can run or do Insanity or whatever. I'm not sure who you hang with, but I've been here 3 years (this is not my first account), and I've never seen anyone say walking is not exercise. Now, I HAVE seen many, many posts about whether or not housework counts, but that's another thread. :laugh:

Happy walking!:drinker: