For all the people who believe walking isn't exercise...

Options

Replies

• Shanekhyl
    Shanekhyl Posts: 31
    Options
    Walking is loads of fun and a real stress buster!!! Christ getting up between add breaks on tv and walking to the letter box and back again is considered exercise ( especially for people with medical conditions).... Any form of exercise you do is wonderful and healthy... Go girl and just enjoy those walks!!!
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Can someone show me where people on this site are saying that walking isn't exercise? I must be missing them.
    Ditto. I was unaware of this belief.

I've not seen it myself, but If she says it was said somewhere here by someone then I believe it. Before my injury I would have never said it out of politeness, but boy did I sure think it!!! I didn't know what was wrong with these sissies! Just go for a little walk and don't know why they can't get in awesome shape! They need to SUCK IT UP! And TEAR IT UP! LIKE ME!!!
    And like I said, Boy was I in for a rude awakening! I am way more sensitive since my injury. It was anything I said or did< but it was definitely my attitude. If you are an athlete and don't share that attitude then Kudos to you!!!
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The Good Lord saw fit to kick my legs out from under me! lol
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    wayyy back in the day I came home from college wearing a size 12... started my 1st job in August... by January I was a size 8 because I had to walk to & from work ( 4 miles in each direction)...often had to put a lil pep in my step because Id not left on time or slept late...I ate WTF I wanted including soda & snacks but then again I was 21 yrs old with a metabolism of steel then
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

I'm not talking about a Sunday afternoon stroll around the block. I'm talking about engaging in regular (5+ times per week), long (3-7km), fast (7-8km/h) walks. Walks that make you puff like a steam train and sweat like a pig. But walks, not runs - exercise that is very accessable for people who, for whatever reason, can't engage in high impact exercise. For anyone interested, I have linked to my Runkeeper profile ( http://runkeeper.com/user/116437034/activity/157838441 ) which shows the frequency and volume of walking I do.

This is the big part. You're doing intense walking, not logging wandering around the mall or a saunter around the neighborhood.
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this.

I am lucky enough to not have anything stopping me from going to the gym and doing high impact sports (except my lazy *kitten*!!!) although this does provide me with some comfort that the walks i do at the weekends (generally hilly and quite long walks) are going to help with my fitness too :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Walking rocks, just walking, putting one foot in front of the other and striding on.

I love it, I'd do it if it didn't burn any calories.

Walking is my meditation time, especially post work, and if it helps me get leaner then that is a happy byproduct ...
  • lindahaxton
    lindahaxton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I may not walk very fast, but that is all I do at least 3 to 4 times a week. Since January I have lost 15 pounds walking and dieting. I have bad knees as well and can't get up the speed, but it is probably the best way I can take the weight off. I am walking most of the time with my sisters and we walk at our own pace, but still walk together and we have a great time. So not only is walking is good exercise, but it is a lot of fun when you add friends and fun.
  • HealthyNurseK
    HealthyNurseK Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Of course walking is exercise! It's great for cardiovascular conditioning and for your emotional health too! I love walking everywhere - in the woods, on the street, fast or slow. It's great exercise and you've clearly proven that it's an effective form of exercise for you. Keep walking, girl!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    bump to check out charts later
  • tracine0711
    tracine0711 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree! A couple years ago, I lost my weight by just walking. I am currently walking everyday and in 4 weeks have lost 12 lbs.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I went from 308 to 223 by diet and walking exclusively!! It can be done!!
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    44 pounds and counting-and I am back to walking outside if our winter ever leaves! I love to walk-and have a new pair of shoes ready to go! Feel free to add me!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It all depends on where you are at and what you can do, as well as what your goal is. I like to hike, walking in the mountains off the prepared roads, which is hard, demanding and fun. I have to work up to it every spring, starting with slow strolls in the neighbourhood, then to the lower peaks, in order to go from 0 - 1500 meters later in the season and the autumn, until the snow stops me. The slow strolls around the neighbourhood in the very early spring is what makes it possible for me to get to even the small hilltops when the snow has gone, and that's what makes the next step possible.

So while those slow strolls are just frustrating to my very fit kids, to me they are vital exercize to get in shape for later heavy and demanding feats. In the periods when my back is really troubling me, they are all the exercize I can get. I have also more than once trained back up from injuries and surgery by just strolling about the neighbourhood - with frequent pauses for coffee or even the occasional glass of wine.

While walking around in the mall may not be enough exercize to participate in the iron man tournaments afterwards, to those of us who need to just gain strength to keep standing straight, it's both good and vital!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've seen the nay sayers and those who believe that walking isn't something to add to your excercise diary. When I was walking the dogs daily, I didn't count it either.

Now I wear my HRM and try to keep a good pace going. I am working up to being able to run, but until I'm able to do that without my knees killing me....I'm happy to walk :drinker:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Can someone show me where people on this site are saying that walking isn't exercise? I must be missing them.

Try in here - some peope are refusing to acknowledge the existance of extra NEAT

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/917516-859-calories-shopping?
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Well, up until my early 20s I could eat what I liked and was half the weight I am now. What changed? I got a car so stopped walking so much!

30 years later and I'm starting to walk again just to get fit. And YES, I notice the difference.

If I'd carried on walking all those years ago I wouldn't be dieting now! Walking is wonderful exercise.

Exact same here. Although I'm sure my metabolism slowed with age, it sucks that 10 years ago, I was so trim and fit. Now I RUN and weight train and can't get back to anything close to what I was before. What changed? I stopped walking so much.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Agreed. I've never seen anyone, EVER, say that walking was not exercise.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Try in here - some peope are refusing to acknowledge the existance of extra NEAT

They are talking about shopping... I don't count that kind of stuff - walking the stairs at work etc. because that's a part of my daily routine -but if somebody does, that's fine with me, I don't care. There are many people here who have lost many pounds by incorporating a walking program into their daily routine.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

We talkin bout shoppin?

JVzPr3P.gif