Gluten Free Lifestyle!

13»

Replies

• Iamworthinvestingin
    Iamworthinvestingin Posts: 51 Member
    my daughter has a gluten intolerance- it is important to work on having plenty of fiber- brown rice pastas and brown rice, sweet potato, flaxseed is just a few examples of getting extra fiber into the diet - like nuts, beans etc- Because gf diet can be expensive- be creative with your normal foods - like salad for instance... I have learned that you can turn almost any sandwich, like a blt - into a salad... I have included the following into my salads -

mandarin orange, rice, left over taco meat, black olives, bean sprouts, apples, almonds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, craisins, tuna, chinese noodles, pasta,

I love my mom's tuna noodle casserole- we adapted it by adding brown rice pasta - lots of veggies, tomatoes, onions, peppers, radish, cucumbers - I imagine you could put zucchini and other vegetables- and then some people use cesar dressing or oil and vinegar - but because we used mayonnaise - I alter it with adding milk, yogurt, light mayo, with spices to make it less fattening -
  • Iamworthinvestingin
    So what's wrong with gluten if you're not intolerant?

Many nutritionist recommend lowering your intake of gluten... why? because wheat has been so refined and it is nearly everything that we eat - I bet you did not know that soy sauce is fermented in wheat - or that many of the chemical additives we eat are derived from wheat. A basic gluten free diet - is to focus on whole foods - and because America is so far behind other countries in gluten free diets - that that it also meant avoiding dressings, marinades and processed foods - that is what makes this diet so healthy... I thought they would give me a list like don't eat pizza or cake - but actually it is a long list of foods and chemicals- that contain gluten... when it comes right down to it - it is a purest diet - couple that with a diabetic diet and you have yourself an excellent diet - just remember to eat foods with fiber - a lot of the 'processed' gluten foods like pancake mixes etc - do not have very much if at all fiber - you can add flaxseed on cereal or if you can tolerate oatmeal - this is also good.,
  • Iamworthinvestingin
    Hi! Gluten Free foods are expensive because the flours that are gf are not refined, they are not as prevalent and over refined like the wheat we eat today - for instance, one sack of bean flour can cost about $55 dollars, and in order to reproduce cup for cup to wheat- you have to blend at least 3 or 4 different types of flours... You do not have to eat the breads, but grains are necessary, and most people do not think of corn, sweet potato, quinoa, rice, squash, peas, etc as grain or starch - but they are very good alternatives.
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    I have to be gluten free out of necessity. I am extremely sensitive to gluten and have Celiac Disease. I really wouldn't choose to be gluten free.

Most of the GF foods are higher in calories and just generally not healthy in themselves. If you wanted to be GF in order to be healthier, or lose weight, I would just stick to lean proteins and vegetables, and other foods just naturally without gluten.