Swedish Mannequins Now In Normal Sizes!

Options

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    I thought there was skinny's an fatty's on this site...my bad. All people who are working on fitness but have yet to achieve it, move along. This is a FITNESS site. Meaning for the FIT. :D Poor people too, exit to the left.

it's ok sister. I got your back in this fight against the thin mints.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of having mannequins in a variety of sizes. A lot of women don't know how to dress in a way that flatters their body because all we see on TV, magazines, runways, etc. are tall slim women, and what looks good on them. If wore the clothes that look good on most models, I'd look ridiculous. Having an example of what works on different body types is a helpful tool to women who are shopping, as well as reducing the frustration and poor body image of women who are trying to make the model's look work for them.

It's not about who is normal or about saying it's OK to be unhealthy. Some women are larger than others, and regardless of what size you are, you should be able to feel good about yourself and buy clothing that looks good.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I just told my boyfriend about this, his response? "Why don't you guys just try the *kitten* on" Lol, a mans perspective.

Because then what would everyone have to get up in arms about over the internet?

That is exactly, almost to the letter, what I said to him.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Screw normal. I just wish they'd start making them anatomically correct. Not for any practical reason. I just think it'd be funny.
  • sixout
    Options
    Screw normal. I just wish they'd start making them anatomically correct. Not for any practical reason. I just think it'd be funny.

Sounds like someone wants to have cheap access to a real doll.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    There is a reason runway models are super thin, and it's because clothing looks better on thinner bodies. Same goes for mannequins in stores. The stores are not trying to send subliminal messages that you need to look like their mannequins. They don't care if you buy their dress in a size 2 or a size 14, as long as you buy it. The purpose of a mannequin is to showcase a "look" in such a way that makes you want to buy the whole outfit. It is much more common for a plus-sized woman to see a size 4 dress on a size 4 mannequin and think "Wow, do they make that in a 14?" than for a size 4 woman to see a size 14 dress on a mannequin and think "That's super cute! I hope they have a size 4!" I used to be a size 18/20. I am now a size 4/6. I'm just being honest.

Besides, they are not going to make a size 14 mannequin with a saggy belly, a dimply butt, and rolls of back fat. They're just going to make the size 4 mannequin on a larger scale, so let's not pretend it's realistic anyway.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

I thought there was skinny's an fatty's on this site...my bad. All people who are working on fitness but have yet to achieve it, move along. This is a FITNESS site. Meaning for the FIT. :D Poor people too, exit to the left.

it's ok sister. I got your back in this fight against the thin mints.

Yeeeaaah, I don't really fight, it's not a good look. Everyone gets so touchy about silliness, they should eat something.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

or who have achieved it and are maintaining. :flowerforyou:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Yeeeaaah, I don't really fight, it's not a good look. Everyone gets so touchy about silliness, they should eat something.

Lol I eat 2400 calories a day, I doubt that's the problem.
    Options

lol, right? Psha. Some girls know how to put away some food.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I thought math was suppose to be a universal language. Why all the sizes?? Why not just go by Waist size. The whole thing is crazy to me, why not just say waist 24, 26, 28, 38, 42, whatever. Ridiculous.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    There is a reason runway models are super thin, and it's because clothing looks better on thinner bodies.

I'm sure opinions on this will vary wildly and to state this is fact is insane.
  • sixout
    Options
    There is a reason runway models are super thin, and it's because clothing looks better on thinner bodies.

Generally speaking, clothes do look better on skinnier models. It's a fact. Sure, some people like bigger women, but on AVERAGE, skinnier looks better, because thats' what the clothes are generally made for.

And this whole thing is about averages right?
    Options

Generally speaking, clothes do look better on skinnier models. It's a fact. Sure, some people like bigger women, but on AVERAGE, skinnier looks better, because thats' what the clothes are generally made for.

no no, normal, not average.
  • sixout
    Options

no no, normal, not average.

Silly me. You're looking pretty abnormal today. You feeling alright?
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I dunno... I'm kinda with him. Anatomically incorrect mannequins give me unrealistic expectations and undoubtedly leave women everywhere striving for a level of unattainable nippleless beauty :0/
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

::::: Raises hand ::::: Me too. I regularly eat 2200-2500 calories per day and now only have to work out 3 days per week to maintain. It took a while to GET here, but I'm happy here. I never thought I'd be a size 4, but here I am.
  • sixout
    Options

I dunno... I'm kinda with him. Anatomically incorrect mannequins give me unrealistic expectations and undoubtedly leave women everywhere striving for a level of unattainable nippleless beauty :0/

How do you think us guys feel? I mean, it's hard to rock the same look on those jeans with this stupid bulge.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options

::::: Raises hand ::::: Me too. I regularly eat 2200-2500 calories per day and now only have to work out 3 days per week to maintain. It took a while to GET here, but I'm happy here. I never thought I'd be a size 4, but here I am.

Um, I said that as more of a joke then an actual suggestion to eat more. Like eating is going to magically give someone a sense of humor! Psshht.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Define normal.