Options

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    Define normal.
    nor·mal [nawr-muhl]
    adjective
    conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
    serving to establish a standard.
    Psychology .
    a.
    approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
    b.
    free from any mental disorder; sane.
    Biology, Medicine/Medical .
    a.
    free from any infection or other form of disease or malformation, or from experimental therapy or manipulation.
    b.
    of natural occurrence.
    Mathematics .
    a.
    being at right angles, as a line; perpendicular.
    b.
    of the nature of or pertaining to a mathematical normal.
    c.
    (of an orthogonal system of real functions) defined so that the integral of the square of the absolute value of any function is 1.
    d.
    (of a topological space) having the property that corresponding to every pair of disjoint closed sets are two disjoint open sets, each containing one of the closed sets.
    e.
    (of a subgroup) having the property that the same set of elements results when all the elements of the subgroup are operated on consistently on the left and consistently on the right by any element of the group; invariant.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Screw normal. I just wish they'd start making them anatomically correct. Not for any practical reason. I just think it'd be funny.

Sounds like someone wants to have cheap access to a real doll.

I dunno... I'm kinda with him. Anatomically incorrect mannequins give me unrealistic expectations and undoubtedly leave women everywhere striving for a level of unattainable nippleless beauty :0/

How do you think us guys feel? I mean, it's hard to rock the same look on those jeans with this stupid bulge.

XD
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Besides, they are not going to make a size 14 mannequin with a saggy belly, a dimply butt, and rolls of back fat. They're just going to make the size 4 mannequin on a larger scale, so let's not pretend it's realistic anyway.
    Aw man, c'mon. Do we have to get all graphic here? I think I remember being a size 14 and I don't think I had a dimply butt.

Dimply butt is fun to say, though.

Dimply butt dimply butt dimply butt.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Its nice to know I hover somewhere in the middle of "mannequin size" and "average size" LOL :laugh:

I really do like seeing something a bit softer/realistic in stores... its nice to know that when my size is missing from the racks I can check the mannequin to see if I can steal hers! - That would NEVER be possible with a normal tiny mannequin.

Plus its a positive step for many women's self image.

You should always check anyway. When I worked at the Gap if we didn't have a S or XS for the mannequin, I'd grab whatever size we had and use clips to make it fit.

I just recently read somewhere that H&M is going to US size 6-8 (if I recall right). And a few years ago I remember a store tried to do more "average" mannequins. I don't recall where though. I am all for having different sized mannequins. I think sometimes people are afraid (for lack of a better word) to try something because they see it on a small mannequin and think "I'd never look good in that" but you never know. I try on anything I like. If it works, great. If not, oh well.

I would like to see different sized mannequins... mostly because I have an unrealistic view of my body... I know what size I wear, I know I'm overweight... but when I see a cute outfit on a tall "skinny" mannequin, I assume it's going to look just as gorgeous on me... now, they need mannequins for us shorties...
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    Serious people grow some extra skin, she just used a word, don't take everything so personal!! You are all normal, is that better?
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Define normal.
    nor·mal [nawr-muhl]
    adjective
    conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
    Psychology .
    a.
    approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
    b.
    a.
    free from any infection or other form of disease or malformation, or from experimental therapy or manipulation.
    b.
    of natural occurrence.
    Mathematics .
    a.
    b.
    c.
    (of an orthogonal system of real functions) defined so that the integral of the square of the absolute value of any function is 1.
    d.
    (of a topological space) having the property that corresponding to every pair of disjoint closed sets are two disjoint open sets, each containing one of the closed sets.
    e.
    (of a subgroup) having the property that the same set of elements results when all the elements of the subgroup are operated on consistently on the left and consistently on the right by any element of the group; invariant.

I was being facetious... :indifferent: the point is, normal is not the same as average..
  • sixout
    Options
    Its nice to know I hover somewhere in the middle of "mannequin size" and "average size" LOL :laugh:

I really do like seeing something a bit softer/realistic in stores... its nice to know that when my size is missing from the racks I can check the mannequin to see if I can steal hers! - That would NEVER be possible with a normal tiny mannequin.

You should always check anyway. When I worked at the Gap if we didn't have a S or XS for the mannequin, I'd grab whatever size we had and use clips to make it fit.

I just recently read somewhere that H&M is going to US size 6-8 (if I recall right). And a few years ago I remember a store tried to do more "average" mannequins. I don't recall where though. I am all for having different sized mannequins. I think sometimes people are afraid (for lack of a better word) to try something because they see it on a small mannequin and think "I'd never look good in that" but you never know. I try on anything I like. If it works, great. If not, oh well.

I would like to see different sized mannequins... mostly because I have an unrealistic view of my body... I know what size I wear, I know I'm overweight... but when I see a cute outfit on a tall "skinny" mannequin, I assume it's going to look just as gorgeous on me... now, they need mannequins for us shorties...

And that's exactly why they use skinny ones, becasue it's all about show.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Yeeeaaah, I don't really fight, it's not a good look. Everyone gets so touchy about silliness, they should eat something.

Lol I eat 2400 calories a day, I doubt that's the problem.

lol, right? Psha. Some girls know how to put away some food.
    ::::: Raises hand ::::: Me too. I regularly eat 2200-2500 calories per day and now only have to work out 3 days per week to maintain. It took a while to GET here, but I'm happy here. I never thought I'd be a size 4, but here I am.

Um, I said that as more of a joke then an actual suggestion to eat more. Like eating is going to magically give someone a sense of humor! Psshht.
    I also wasn't upset about her use of the word "normal," as I didn't take it the way others apparently did. I was just adding that I, too, am able to eat a lot and stay in the small sizes now...

But, regardless, it's fine. No, eating more will not instill a sense of humor. :laugh: ...thought it would be kinda cool if it could!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I never realized that as a size 4 I wasn't considered "normal".

Yeah...no kidding..I range between a 2 and a 4 and consider myself pretty healthy and non "abnormal"

I suppose normal is individual, you guys look amazing!

For me before I gained weight, normal was a size 10 (UK) when I did get down to a UK 8 border 6 I looked ill. So for me about size 10 is what I view as normal. perhaps Mannequins should alter depending who views the store :smile: do you think they can do that yet??

Lol, as soon as I read the title I knew the skinny's would be all over this one demanding to know what normal is. I understand what you mean OP. It's fine to have the run of the mill size 2 and 4 mannequins but it's refreshing to see other sizes besides the typical mannequins you see. Like a size 8 or even dare I say, a 10.

Skinny's, like being fit is bad. On a fitness website. lol

Skinny doesn't necessarily mean fit. Anymore than overweight means not fit.
  • sixout
    Options
    Define normal.
    nor·mal [nawr-muhl]
    adjective
    Psychology .
    a.
    b.
    a.
    b.
    of natural occurrence.
    Mathematics .
    a.
    b.
    c.
    d.
    e.

I was being facetious... :indifferent: the point is, normal is not the same as average..

Well, if you want to get down to the nitty gritty.

Normalcy comes from what is considered, well, normal. The overall look of things, what feels like it is most common. And what is average? Average is what is the median of everything. Average is the in between of everything, which is generally considered normal as well.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I am feeling very right angled today. Thank god I'm normal.
  • sixout
    Options

Yeah...no kidding..I range between a 2 and a 4 and consider myself pretty healthy and non "abnormal"

For me before I gained weight, normal was a size 10 (UK) when I did get down to a UK 8 border 6 I looked ill. So for me about size 10 is what I view as normal. perhaps Mannequins should alter depending who views the store :smile: do you think they can do that yet??

Lol, as soon as I read the title I knew the skinny's would be all over this one demanding to know what normal is. I understand what you mean OP. It's fine to have the run of the mill size 2 and 4 mannequins but it's refreshing to see other sizes besides the typical mannequins you see. Like a size 8 or even dare I say, a 10.

Her response was to fit people commenting.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

And that's exactly why they use skinny ones, becasue it's all about show.

Oh I get that... really I do... it's like using photoshop to make a models eyelashes look thick and long... it's just frustrating... particularly when you are not just overweight... but short too. Oh well, one thing I can do something about... the other not so much.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Define normal.
    nor·mal [nawr-muhl]
    adjective
    Psychology .
    a.
    b.
    a.
    b.
    of natural occurrence.
    Mathematics .
    a.
    b.
    c.
    d.
    e.

Well, if you want to get down to the nitty gritty.

Normalcy comes from what is considered, well, normal. The overall look of things, what feels like it is most common. And what is average? Average is what is the median of everything. Average is the in between of everything, which is generally considered normal as well.

And I am taking things too seriously, by picking on the word normal? :laugh:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I think it proves that "sizes" are rather arbitrary. someone posted about being a "size 4" and not being considered "normal" except that number is completely determined by a vanity marketing team.

today's "size 4" is more like a classic size 8 or 10, even. so "normal" doesn't really apply to anyone because everything is shifting, always.

But the "normal" size the OP was referring to of the mannequin is NOT a classic 8 or 10, it is a modern day 8 or 10. So in comparison to these "normal" size mannequins, I AM smaller. I just think the word normal isn't the best word choice.

Ok, so she chose a poor choice of words, moving on.....

I didn't see any body shaming or anything negative about smaller sized people. It is nice that stores are willing to use more than one size of healthy. Rather than displaying that all women are the size of the average mannequin, which obviously, we are not..
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just told my boyfriend about this, his response? "Why don't you guys just try the *kitten* on" Lol, a mans perspective.

Because then what would everyone have to get up in arms about over the internet?

Seeing as the "average" mannequin doesn't even HAVE arms... I find this comment offensive

:heart:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

psha, there ain't no stinkin' fit people here! This here's a datin' site, ya know? :laugh:
  • sixout
    Options

psha, there ain't no stinkin' fit people here! This here's a datin' site, ya know? :laugh:

How YOU doin?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if going by "average size" is good. Because I mean, the average size can be big still. Seems like making an average size can promote thinking it's ok to not want to get into better shape.

I mean, unrealistically small isn't good, obviously. But average when the average is already large isn't good.

910a937e-ef4d-417a-ab58-d2e935c69776_swedish-mana.jpg

Yeah, God forbid we want women to be as large as these 'average" mannequins... :noway:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    There is a reason runway models are super thin, and it's because clothing looks better on thinner bodies.

I'm sure opinions on this will vary wildly and to state this is fact is insane.

Generally speaking, clothes do look better on skinnier models. It's a fact. Sure, some people like bigger women, but on AVERAGE, skinnier looks better, because thats' what the clothes are generally made for.

And this whole thing is about averages right?

no no, normal, not average.

Silly me. You're looking pretty abnormal today. You feeling alright?

you will soon find out I'm normally abnormal, lol. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: