Couch to 5k?

Options
13»

Replies

• JohnDun
    JohnDun Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi
    Well I completed Day 1 Week 3 today....was not at all as bad as I thought it would be. I was doing my jog at 9kmph (5.6mph) on Week 1 and Week 2 but dropped the jog to 8kmph (around 5mph). Had no issues with the 3minute at this speed and recovered pretty quickly from it.

Looking forward to week 4 for the 5minute jog at 8kmph....should be fun (cough splutter..........). But I do enjoy the treadmill now, I used to like the bike and xtrainer but I find the treadmill more of a challenge and having a C25k App on the phone is nice.

One thing I do is set the treadmill to 59minutes so after I finish the C25K I can just keep on going at a brisk walk...even a bit more jogging. Certainly burns the cals and helps with the monthly distance challenge.....

Regards
    J
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I had mixed feelings. I completed it, and was able to run for 45 minutes, but I was slow. My time for a mile was roughly the same on week 1 as the final week. On week 1 I'd run faster because the intervals were short. On week 12 I ran slowly because that was the only way I could sustain it.

I also didn't lose any weight doing it.

Still, the fact that I was able to run for 45 minutes, even if slowly, means it was a success I guess.

I had significantly more gains doing other forms of training to get my overall fitness level up. I joined a functional fitness-oriented gym. They alternated days between body-weight-based exercises and boot camp-like cardio days. With yoga and martial arts also offered. I began losing serious weight there. And, despite doing very little running there, when I came back to running, my time was much improved.
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started it today. I hate running and the app on my iPhone made it easy.
    Of course, I can only run outside. Dread treadmills.

I hope to see results on the scale as well.

Worth a try!
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have finished week one day 3 this morning.

I found the first day really easy. On day two I think was a little over confident and went out too fast in the first few intervals. I couldnt run the final two intervals because my legs felt like jelly and I couldnt breathe. I could even take a deep enough breath to get some ventolin into me. I ended up walking home.

Day 3 was easy. I didnt try and run fast, the intervals seemed to pass quickly and it was over before I knew it.

I'm now trying to decide whether to repeat a day of this week just to ensure that I was right about my second day OR whether I should move onto week two.

Any thoughts from those who have done it would be greatly appreciated :)
  • oncearound
    oncearound Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until the snow stops around here so I can start C25K. I have wanted to start the program for a few months now, but I want to get outside because I get bored very easily on the treadmill. Can't wait. It is very motivating to read all of the posts. I finally starting to think that I might be able to do this.
  • fufi04
    fufi04 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I Downloaded It And Just Got Confused And Deleted It.
    I Couldn't Figure Out How To Start Lol
  • organicgirl22
    Options
    I started the C25K program last June, I used it because I really wanted to be a runner but I had bad running endurance. I would huff and puff through a lap at my weekly bootcamp class. I completed it in September and signed up for 2 local 5ks. One being the Color Run, which is not a timed race. I have to admit though I continued to walk often during those races but at this point, 9 months later, I have run a half marathon in 2 hrs & countless 5ks. You can do it, you just need to stick with it, be consistent in your workouts and sign up for a race to motivate you. Don't worry about running fast, speed will come through time and mileage. Good job on starting the C25k program!

Happy running!
  • JohnDun
    JohnDun Posts: 140
    Options
    I have finished week one day 3 this morning.

I found the first day really easy. On day two I think was a little over confident and went out too fast in the first few intervals. I couldnt run the final two intervals because my legs felt like jelly and I couldnt breathe. I could even take a deep enough breath to get some ventolin into me. I ended up walking home.

Day 3 was easy. I didnt try and run fast, the intervals seemed to pass quickly and it was over before I knew it.

I'm now trying to decide whether to repeat a day of this week just to ensure that I was right about my second day OR whether I should move onto week two.

Any thoughts from those who have done it would be greatly appreciated :)

Well done...I would just move onto Week 2 Day 1. Keep with what your comfortable with. I dropped my speed for the jog down by 1kph for week 3 and find that am comfortable with 5.5kph for the walking and 8kph for the jog. I finished W3 D3 today so its onto W4 on Tuesday, (Remember rest days are important).

So stick with it and move on..dont repeat. The two 3min jogs in week 3 were certainly a lot easier than I thought they were going to be.....Week 4 will be the test with 5mins jog.

Regards
    J
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    HUGE fan of C25k!

I started running using the C25k plan in 2009. Was a 100% nonrunner. I couldnt run 1/2 a lap around the track without feeling like I was dying. I committed to the program... did 3 days a week, exactly like it said. Some weeks I repeated once. I ran my first 5k in April 2009 and I was hooked on racing! So much fun!

Since then I have done tons of 5ks, 10ks, 3 half marathons and a full marathon.

Last fall I helped 15 friends run their first 5k as a group - we used the couch to 5k plan.

They have an easy to use app for your phone now too.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time a couple of years ago and it didn't take. At the time I just started back to excercise after a long time off and I kept getting strep throat (young child in daycare). So I was unable to complete the program before winter so I gave up. I tried it again the following spring and something clicked. I ran my first 5k that August and my running was going so well that I ran my first half marathon that October. I would definitely recommend the program and if it doesn't work the first time you can always try again. Running is one of those things that most people have to force themselves to like.